• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Highest Speeds on Sidewinder/Thundercat

Yep scary stuff when a track comes off, u actually speed up . Lol

But have no control. Witnessed a track come off at 130 ish mph on the lake, luckily there was a close to a mile to slow it down but still landed in the brush. 130 sounds fast but 150 plus is a whole new level.

This fall I bought the wifey a used 19 ZR9000 Sno Pro. My initial intentions were to leave it stock (which is plenty for her) and put a big windy, mirrors, backrest so I could use it as a touring sled for trips.

But then I thought, "What if I'm on a trip and one of the boys burns me?" I'll have to eat $heet all night while they make fun of me? Can't have that.

While conversing with Slo998, who has more inventory than Country Cat, I learned that he had a used header and some weights that he was willing to part with at a reasonable price. After installing these items, I piece mealed a CAI utilizing various parts on eBay for like $80 bucks. I called TD and purchased a small header tune and big pump to make it all work in unison. I kept it simple, no FPR, no wideband, no datalogging, no CL, no dash flash.....yada, yada. For the exhaust, I installed a SQ 2.5 muffler that was collecting dust in the shop and swapped the 1.25 ripsaw with a Ripsaw 1 that was collecting dust in the attic.

I call it the "Budget Build" as it is an assortment of used and leftover parts. Getting it dialed in was a little challenging, as these Team clutches are new to me, however I think I got it dialed in. Yesterday while riding, everytime I'd wack it, it would consistently run in the 130s GPS with a best of 135. It won't break any records, but for the little money I have invested, I'm stoked!!

Attachments

• PXL_20240217_125711680.jpg
    PXL_20240217_125711680.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I call it the "Budget Build" as it is an assortment of used and leftover parts. Getting it dialed in was a little challenging, as these Team clutches are new to me, however I think I got it dialed in. Yesterday while riding, everytime I'd wack it, it would consistently run in the 130s GPS with a best of 135. It won't break any records, but for the little money I have invested, I'm stoked!!
I like your style! Its obvious the sled is in the hands of a master but 135mph wow....these 998s never fail to amaze me.

This fall I bought the wifey a used 19 ZR9000 Sno Pro. My initial intentions were to leave it stock (which is plenty for her) and put a big windy, mirrors, backrest so I could use it as a touring sled for trips.

But then I thought, "What if I'm on a trip and one of the boys burns me?" I'll have to eat $heet all night while they make fun of me? Can't have that.

While conversing with Slo998, who has more inventory than Country Cat, I learned that he had a used header and some weights that he was willing to part with at a reasonable price. After installing these items, I piece mealed a CAI utilizing various parts on eBay for like $80 bucks. I called TD and purchased a small header tune and big pump to make it all work in unison. I kept it simple, no FPR, no wideband, no datalogging, no CL, no dash flash.....yada, yada. For the exhaust, I installed a SQ 2.5 muffler that was collecting dust in the shop and swapped the 1.25 ripsaw with a Ripsaw 1 that was collecting dust in the attic.

That is a great build and big top end. Congratulations!

Years ago I lost a studded track out the back at about 120mph on one of my old Tcats. I was fortunate there was a few miles of flat lake top in front of me to safely stop. Like speed ratings on tires, I have always wondered what is the safe limits of top end on the trail tracks we all stud and run. My all time best was 136 on my old 300hp modstock 1100. As I saw 136 on the GPS, I remembered the track loss incident from years past and the puckering feeling in the seat of my pants got me to let go of the throttle.

Now a days, I keep the stock gears in my 22 EPS Tcat and work on making it quick to 110 rather than top end. Maybe I am getting old and pucker too easy. LOL

Fleecer are you keeping an eye on that exploding primary?

That is a great build and big top end. Congratulations!

Years ago I lost a studded track out the back at about 120mph on one of my old Tcats. I was fortunate there was a few miles of flat lake top in front of me to safely stop. Like speed ratings on tires, I have always wondered what is the safe limits of top end on the trail tracks we all stud and run. My all time best was 136 on my old 300hp modstock 1100. As I saw 136 on the GPS, I remembered the track loss incident from years past and the puckering feeling in the seat of my pants got me to let go of the throttle.

Now a days, I keep the stock gears in my 22 EPS Tcat and work on making it quick to 110 rather than top end. Maybe I am getting old and pucker too easy. LOL

About the same story I've had, but in my case it was a two ply 2.52" pitch Rip1 that blew out and ruined the tunnel of my turbo RX-1 on the lake at right around 132 MPH. It didnt even break at a stud line where you would think it would. It ripped the track in two right at the fiberglass rod and ballooned the tunnel the entire length of the sled. I coasted a LONG ways on the lake after it blew. I was so lucky it didn't happen a bit earlier on the trail when I had it wicked up even higher! When the guys drug the track back to me quite a while later, it was still steaming and hot from the heat still in it.

Exactly why you don't see me giving a crap about speed. Only how quick it can get from A to B.

Yes, that is definitely something to be mindful of.
Honestly i dont think a bearing belongs in any primary clutch. But look for tiny cracks at base of sheaves to start with.

About the same story I've had, but in my case it was a two ply 2.52" pitch Rip1 that blew out and ruined the tunnel of my turbo RX-1 on the lake at right around 132 MPH. It didnt even break at a stud line where you would think it would. It ripped the track in two right at the fiberglass rod and ballooned the tunnel the entire length of the sled. I coasted a LONG ways on the lake after it blew. I was so lucky it didn't happen a bit earlier on the trail when I had it wicked up even higher! When the guys drug the track back to me quite a while later, it was still steaming and hot from the heat still in it.

Exactly why you don't see me giving a crap about speed. Only how quick it can get from A to B.
Yes, I too always shoot for the quickest way from A to B. Unfortunately, in my neck of the woods, the distance between A and B is 2 miles. Lol

All testing is done on groomed trail with scratchers down. This might scrub some speed depending on conditions, but cuts down on heat and adds lubricity and cooling. We try and make it as safe as we can.

My tuned 2019 X-TX LE is making decent boost and resulting power but it has a one ply backcountry 141 x 1.75" track so I have never held it wide open long enough to find its terminal speed although it has GPS and Draggy recorded speeds in excess of 120mph. I am actually amazed how well that Back Country track has held up.

How many miles is too many on any track to take up to those speeds? 5000 and over?

How many miles is too many on any track to take up to those speeds? 5000 and over?
Naturally, this subjective to the number of high speed pulls. The telltale sign is when you have to tighten the track every ride. This is a sign the cords are starting to break and the end is near.

At 120mph, 5k miles is doable, especially for a 2 ply, 1 inch or 1.25 lug. Studs, higher lugs and 1 ply tracks are exponentially lower in my opinion. The higher the speeds, the faster they fall apart.

I always run two ply, 1 inch tracks, without studs, so I get good pretty good life out of them. I usually change at 2500 to 3k for safety.

My tuned 2019 X-TX LE is making decent boost and resulting power but it has a one ply backcountry 141 x 1.75" track so I have never held it wide open long enough to find its terminal speed although it has GPS and Draggy recorded speeds in excess of 120mph. I am actually amazed how well that Back Country track has held up.
One ply tracks are very dangerous for big speed. At high speeds, the track comes off the driveshaft and bunches up before straightening back out as it makes its way along the skid. They are inefficient and scrub speed in my opinion.

If you were to put a small lug, 2 ply track on that monster of yours, you'd probably be in the 150s!! Lol

Last edited:
Naturally, this subjective to the number of high speed pulls. The telltale sign is when you have to tighten the track every ride. This is a sign the cords are starting to break and the end is near.

At 120mph, 5k miles is doable, especially for a 2 ply, 1 inch or 1.25 lug. Studs, higher lugs and 1 ply tracks are exponentially lower in my opinion. The higher the speeds, the faster they fall apart.

I always run two ply, 1 inch tracks, without studs, so I get good pretty good life out of them. I usually change at 2500 to 3k for safety.
Fully agree that the more time a track spends at high speeds shortens the expected life a lot.

Honestly i dont think a bearing belongs in any primary clutch. But look for tiny cracks at base of sheaves to start with.
I have limited time on this Team, and although it doesn't have many supporters, I think it actually works pretty well. The self adjusting deflection keeps the belt tight and in my opinion it delivers better holeshot and midrange punch than my Yamaha primary.

Based on my limited testing, I think the Yamaha clutches shift out more and deliver much better top speed, as the roller secondary is better. The Boss secondary seems to hinder shift on top end.......but just my opinion.

Back