• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How can I raise MPG?

lawmanbsi

Expert
Last season I bought my Attak. took it on a four day trip to the U.P. I was getting 11mpg. had several issues that I have taken care of. I was expecting 14mpg but, 11mpg is still what I'm getting. What are some things I can do to help raise this up to 14mpg?

I've been thinking that I need to pass more air through the engine. Modding the intake, exhaust and changing gears.

What have you taken care of so far? Are you studded? What is your current gearing? What weight oil are you running? More questions than answers, but I think we need to know specifics of your current set up to give you good suggestions.

Replaced the belt and clutch button. one button was broken and the other two where half worn. Cleaned the clutches. Changed the oil and filter. Used 0-40 mobile one. Replaced all the bogey wheel bearings. Cleaned and greased the jack shaft and drive cog bearings. Replaced hyfax. Repaired skid suspension arms and had Mono shock rebuilt. replaced front shocks. Replaced all suspension bushings. Changed skis from stock with dual runners to Powder Pros with 6" shaper. I have 2 studs per lug. I don't know for sure what gears I'm running now. I assume stock.

Sounds like you've done all the obvious things. If you're using 40W oil now, switching to 20W will help some. With a Power Commander from Ulmer, programmed for best fuel mileage, you could squeeze a bit more out of it. Make sure your chain tension is not too tight, same with track tension. Go on a diet.

All that, Turk probably has the best advice. The Vector gets exceptional gas mileage. Everything is a trade off.

If the horses are in the barn, you've got to feed them!

I have chain tension set to finger tight and the track tension set a half turn tight from racketing.

Diet? that must be the fourth kinda of person

lawmanbsi said:
I have chain tension set to finger tight and the track tension set a half turn tight from racketing.

Diet? that must be the fourth kinda of person

On the chain tension, finger tight, then back off 1/4 turn is best.

I suppose there could be a 4th kind of person. LOL if you can afford to drop 100lbs, your gas mileage will definitely get better afterwards!

did u check your clutch springs out??..i have an 06 stretched to 144 and as long as i am not in deep powder i am getting 13-15...and a little less in the deep pushing it hard.

Back