• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

how can the grips be made hotter on an 05 RX1

Yama49601

A friend of mine keeps complaining about his hands freezing. He has those aluminum ends on his bars, I forgot what they're called. He also just added a riser and he has no protection from wind now. I know he could put hand guards on but he said a couple of people he knows have rewired their grips to make them hotter. Can something like this be done to his? I did a search and read that the 05 had better or hotter grips to begin with?

Throw the aluminum ones as far as you can and get plastic ones.... There are ways to rewire the grips but you will still have a big aluminum heat sink out there sucking out the heat from the bars..

I foamed the bars and it seemed to help quite a bit, also ask him to try a pair of thin gloves, even better is gloves that are thin on the palm and thick above the hand. I have been experiementing with things because my hands have been cold on every yamaha and I remember back in the day they never used to be, well when I got my 02 viper I got these fancy leather yamaha gloves and I think they are the culprits.

One last thing if you need a electrical solution you can look into ski doo grip warmers that are little cylinders that go in the bars, wire them seperatly to the battery and a switch and then you woudl have the grip warmer and the inside of the bars heated too. I looked into this but decided on foam instead since I'm tapping my electirical system pretty good with the nitrous fuel pump,etc. My last test with thin gloves was real positve, that may be my problem, at least this is after I checked the grips per the manual and made sure they were 100% perfect working order.

Keep the aluminum bar ends. The problem with the way the grips are wired is that they are wired in series, wich means that the positive goes to one hand warmer than the negative of that warmer goes to the positive of the other warmer than from that warmers negative it goes to the ground circuit. The issue with that is the resistance of the circuit is doubled witch lets less current flow thourgh. You wont to wire them in parallel witch means that the positive feed from the machine goes to both warmers and the negative goes to both warmers. This will make the circuits resistance half of what it was, witch will allow more curent to flow resulting in much hotter warmers. All you need to do is make a y harness using bullet conector under the handle bar pad . Hook the positive feed to each warmer and the negative feed to each warmer. Im telling you that the warmers will be hot . I was out today at -28 c and my hand warmers where set at the second from lowest setting and not cold at all. Where they used to freeze. I ride a rx1 with an 8" bar riser so there is no wind protection. try this it really works.

I have rode in cold weather -30 and I have never had a problem with the heaters on any of my rx1 or the 11 rs venture.

stephen03rx1 said:
Keep the aluminum bar ends. The problem with the way the grips are wired is that they are wired in series, wich means that the positive goes to one hand warmer than the negative of that warmer goes to the positive of the other warmer than from that warmers negative it goes to the ground circuit. The issue with that is the resistance of the circuit is doubled witch lets less current flow thourgh. You wont to wire them in parallel witch means that the positive feed from the machine goes to both warmers and the negative goes to both warmers. This will make the circuits resistance half of what it was, witch will allow more curent to flow resulting in much hotter warmers. All you need to do is make a y harness using bullet conector under the handle bar pad . Hook the positive feed to each warmer and the negative feed to each warmer. Im telling you that the warmers will be hot . I was out today at -28 c and my hand warmers where set at the second from lowest setting and not cold at all. Where they used to freeze. I ride a rx1 with an 8" bar riser so there is no wind protection. try this it really works.

I just did this to my 03 today and will see how it works. If it works I will be doing it to my wifes attack. I checked the warmers on my sons polaris and a couple of freinds sleds and they are wired in parralel. Why would yamaha wire them in series.

Well I give the grips a test run today in -25 Celceus. They are completely different grips. I always used to keep them on high even on the warmest -6 celcius day we had this year and my hands would never get hot. It was -25 celceus today and I had to turn them down to half because they were to hot on my hands. I will be doing this to my wifes cold attack grips tomorrow.
Thanks a bunch for the info Stephen03rx1

Back