• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

how impressed r u?

RW06GT said:
shanksyamaha said:
The only thing I wanted was more power. The only thing they didn't give me was more power.

You may want to take a listen here: http://yournextsled.com/details.php
more power is clearly mentioned. It also reinforces my opinion that Yamaha clearly does a lot of thinking about what they decide to produce. He also mentions weight and I believe the net change will be close to zero. A 10 pound savings is mentioned just from getting rid of the springs on the SE.

Also, not sure why you guys are poo-pooing the exup. Do you think Yamaha goes through the countless engineering hours for the hell of it? Keep in mind that sled motors have a quite different operating envelope than bike motors... I have no experience with it so what do I know. The only problem I have with it will be the nightmare it creates for the turbo manu's. They will be going back to the drawing board.

I give the new Apex a solid 9 out of ten with the only demerit being the price increase. I am fortunate enough that it will not keep me from purchasing if my test ride goes well. I think when I go I will have to bring the wifes doo 1200 to compare back to back.

Ya, they mention more power... But how much 5, maybe 6 HP. And how much lighter is the sled than the previous model year?? I don't see a weight on the website?? Anyone find one?? Id like to know...

I'm also fortunate enough that I could drop the $15grand for a new sled if I wanted to but there is just NO WAY I can bring myself to spend that kinda money on something that I can ride, maybe 3-4 months a year and I will only keep for a maximum of 3-4 years. It dosn't make any sense.

I'll wait until Im ready to buy a new one, then look until I find something with 0-300 miles on it, in new condition, for 1/2 price. Then take the $7grand savings and take my family to disney world in the spring....

Nothing wrong with looking at it that way ;)! I snowmobile with my family and for the most part this sport is a money pit! But so is the boat and camping and... I spend the money knowing that we all have fun and enjoy our time together.
I like to keep sleds for around 3-4 years as well and I am due for a new one. I'll just close my eyes when(if) I hand over the check. :drink:
Still thinking about a nytro xtx but if I go that route I won't even ride it without at least Allen's turbo and that makes it a toss up in my mind.

I mean, its not like Im made of money... I work hard and have a good job... I could drop the fifteen grand on a new sled but I have a boat, camper, truck, van, rhino, 2 homes, camp, land... etc... etc... etc... and we like to go take the kids to a broadway show every year, and go to Cape Breton on vacation for at least 2 weeks, and go to disney world every couple years, and go to manhattan and stay, just the two of us at least once a year... I mean there is just so much to spend the money on that I feel its just wrong to spend that much on a sled when I could get a sled that is just as good but is either left over, or has been ridden a couple hundred miles... for 1/2 price... Its just crazy to buy brand new IMO...

I must say im a little disapointed to not see somewhat of a hp increase as thats historically the way things have been . The price , well noone pays the MSRP anyway, seriously .
But WOW how many hipocrits are on this site ?,
Ever since ive joined ive read a thousand posts on here say that their yamaha is about as close to the perfect sled as it gets! .
Reliable , fast , comfortable and lacking very little to be 100 % . well as i see it yamaha just took the almost "PERFECT " sled and and fixed every thing we complained about .
We cant blame them for only giving us "EXACTLY " what weve asked for .

I will give it a 4. Most of these changes we have been waiting for for 5 years now. and the prices are crazy. I will be keeping my 06' gt just an upgraded skid and power adders will have to be on my wish list. I guess I'll be better off in the long run just have to keep the mods a touch conservative to the engine, I do not want a time bomb. I really would have liked to see a 180 or 200 h.p. sled from them I like the shock options but am weary about the mono's reliability long term. Mine is intact because I toned down my riding some. but still would like it to scream on top. I would like 125 mph stock and a roller clutch stock, as well as dif skid options besides the mono. I wonder if the 2011 rear Air shock will fit on my 06? probably too $$ will go with the x2 or expert x 136 probably.

If this is the reaction all over the world then maybe Yamaha will have more incentives. They might need it.
Overall I think they are just making things better which is what I like. To come out with a whole new sled every year or so would be bad.
Like I've posted earlier. Scuba Pro just kept improving there line of gear while others like Dacor,etc. kept trying to come out with new designs and never perfected the regulator. Always had troubles and never worked well. (hows the Rush doing?)
I would love this new sled for my type of rideing but I too feel this is gone way too far on priceing for me.
They figure we'll go to Vectors,etc. and have limited production on these Apex SE's,Apex for those who have the bucks and Yamaha will win down the line as usual.

CaptCaper said:
If this is the reaction all over the world then maybe Yamaha will have more incentives. They might need it.
Overall I think they are just making things better which is what I like. To come out with a whole new sled every year or so would be bad.
Like I've posted earlier. Scuba Pro just kept improving there line of gear while others like Dacor,etc. kept trying to come out with new designs and never perfected the regulator. Always had troubles and never worked well. (hows the Rush doing?)
I would love this new sled for my type of rideing but I too feel this is gone way too far on priceing for me.
They figure we'll go to Vectors,etc. and have limited production on these Apex SE's,Apex for those who have the bucks and Yamaha will win down the line as usual.

good point ;)!

I would give the new sleds an 8/10 without price as a factor, 4/10 with price as a factor.

Power steering - good idea. Eliminates the weight issue for steering effort.

Mono w/ MEGA - sounds great. Yamaha knows people who buy Apexes are, for the most part, one-up cruisers who love big, broad power. This will make the ride even better.

Slightly increased power & gearing changes - probably not much different. This was a powerful sled to begin with back in 2006.

Increased storage - good idea for their main consumers.

128" track - better ride and flotation. A plus.

Higher seat and bars - I am 6'1", 6"3" with boots on. My '06 Apex is a little low and starts to feel like a traditional sled after several hours of riding as the seat cushioning sinks down. 2 more inches up in a good thing for tall riders.

These are all good, modest upgrades (I know I didnt mention them all)...but I will not buy one. Reasons? Two - 1.) NEVER buy a first year model (or in Yamaha's case, never buy a first, second or third year model!) 2.) Cost. $14K? Not a chance.

i think someone else mentioned this too, but for the price this should include a turbo. I think that would have rounded out this sled pretty well and i think some would be complaining less about the price.

But again, 15k for basically some improvements that i feel should have been there already is quite a lot. But i also agree, yamaha has a good sled here and probably still wouldn't buy another brand at this point other than maybe an MXZ but even that would take some thinking.

87gtNOS said:
mud99 said:
ZERO, they dropped the Apex Mountain.
NOT impressed.

Where is all the extra HP? This exhaust flap is gonna do nothing!! People either remove them off bikes (via new exhaust) or lock them open....I've done it even myself!!

Price?? WTF?????? enuf said.....look at all the complaints!

Suspension? Well, lots of us have already tweeked our own Apex's springs or revalving, etc, so how much better can it be? FOX is nice though...but again $$$$.

Power steering...pretty cool.

Overall....like others have posted....GAME OVER. Yamaha has failed to sell me a NEW sled....my 06 will be just as good as this new sled, and the 2011's likely.
I installed aftermarket pipes on my street bikes. The first thing to go is the exhaust servo. Nothing but sound and emission compliance.

RW06GT said:
shanksyamaha said:
The only thing I wanted was more power. The only thing they didn't give me was more power.

You may want to take a listen here: http://yournextsled.com/details.php
more power is clearly mentioned. It also reinforces my opinion that Yamaha clearly does a lot of thinking about what they decide to produce. He also mentions weight and I believe the net change will be close to zero. A 10 pound savings is mentioned just from getting rid of the springs on the SE.

Also, not sure why you guys are poo-pooing the exup. Do you think Yamaha goes through the countless engineering hours for the hell of it? Keep in mind that sled motors have a quite different operating envelope than bike motors... I have no experience with it so what do I know. The only problem I have with it will be the nightmare it creates for the turbo manu's. They will be going back to the drawing board.

I give the new Apex a solid 9 out of ten with the only demerit being the price increase. I am fortunate enough that it will not keep me from purchasing if my test ride goes well. I think when I go I will have to bring the wifes doo 1200 to compare back to back.

3 letters. E... P...A . THATS IT , the company sees the dirty writing on the wall and wants to be a green player, b4 the 2012 specs come.

BTW..there is no doubt that they have created (2011 APEX) the most tech.advanced snowmobile ever avaialble to the public. ;)!
AND as soon as I have the winning lottery ticket, Im in.

shanksyamaha said:

I give it a 2/10. I certainly wont buy one. Definately not for that price. Im gunna keep my 06, put on the yamacharger this summer, and ride it another 2-3 seasons. Then, probably try to find a left over or lightly used 2010... There is NO WAY Im spending $15grand + tax on a new sled, Not because I don't have the money, simply because I REFUSE to spend that kinda $$$ on a new sled... Id rather tripple it and buy myself a brand new truck and a good left over sled.

This new sled does NOT have anything that makes it worth that price for me, I don't want power steering, I don't want EXUP exhaust... Only thing I want is more power and a mono that wont blow apart. So Im getting welterracers beef up kit and installing a yamacharger, then I'll have what I want. Yamaha won't build it, so I will....

X2 here.

Yamaha has addressed the concerns of 90% of the people with this sled. Everyone cries about darting and steering.... so they fixed their issues. Everyone on this site cries about how bad the stock ski's were.... so they changed it. Everyone on here cries about cold hands and everyone has some type of backyard fix for the handwarmers....so they fixed it.

Now your crying about lack of HP and the price. Although Yamaha doubles the competition on their resale value and longevity no one address that. Who's still riding a nice, well running 06' Doo? No one. Who else still heads on a trip to Northern Ont. with 10,000+ km on another brand? No one. Who has ever paid sticker price for a new sled on a dealers floor? I know I haven't.

Everyone said EPS on the ATV was a ridiculous idea. Every other OEM has since copied Yami's idea. My dealer says he still has yet to sell a non-EPS Grizzly to anyone since 07'. Everyone wants it once they've tried it. Mark my words that in the next couple of years Doo and Cat will have EPS.

Make up your mind what you want to whine about fella's. You sound like our wives. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have seen a production supercharger or a 175HP motor becuase they have the technology but I can complain since I have never whinned about cold hands, darting, pushing in the corners or inside ski lift.

The Sled Talk Product manager from Yamaha Canada makes a very valid point. One really has to look in the mirror and be honest with how you ride most of the time. Yes the sled is pricey. However, I feel they seem to have taken care of all of those annoying deficiencies that previous sleds have had. Time will tell of course. As far as weight. Who cares if most of your riding is on groomed trails, which is the case for most riders. Frankly, I am 6'3" 2701lbs and I think the solid feel of these sleds is a good thing. I was fortunate enough to purchase a 2005 RX-1 at the tail end if its product cycle and it has proven to be a very dependable, fast great running machine. I added a heavier spring and re-valved the shock after breaking the front arm but since then it has been rock solid with over 10,000 miles it. With the minor upgrades I have spent roughly $1800 per riding year ( cost of purchase included) on this sled. I know I could get another five years easily the way I maintain it which would drop the per year cost significantly. Moreover, I could get back at least $3,500 to $4,000 grand if I sold it because it is in mint condition. When I and the group of guys I ride with hit the Quebec trails (where we ride most) and push it a little the "Big Blue Machine" is in the front of the mix most every time. On the super highways more north, its #1 for sure with no complaints about being tired, cold, cold hands, vibration or any other of the ailments others clamor about on big rides. To me if the upgrades work as advertised this sled may just be the ticket for another six plus fun, fast, comfortable riding years. Buying new also gives me a comfort level of how the machine is taken care of.

Back