• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

how much quicker is a clutched vector than a stock vector?

number1kyster

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 SW RTX SE
Thinkin about clutching my sled but was wondering if it adds more low end or gives more top end. I really dont wanna lose what little top end a vector has. Anyone have any feedback for me?

thanks

Re: how much quicker is a clutched vector than a stock vecto

number1kyster said:
Thinkin about clutching my sled but was wondering if it adds more low end or gives more top end. I really dont wanna lose what little top end a vector has. Anyone have any feedback for me?

thanks

Look at http://www.ulmerracing.com/ , select Yamaha -> Vector. Allen Ulmer has a series of track-horsepower vs. speed graphs based on stock vs. three different stages of clutching. It should answer your question as to what clutching might be able to do for Vector performance.

Our Stage 1 Vector kit is really a cheap upgrade and will pick up corner to corner performance (roughly 2 sled lengths faster than stock on bottom & mid with the same top end). We actually haven't sold any Stage II clutch kits and have mainly concentrated on the Stage 1 & 3. The Stage III has shown to pick up 5 lengths from about 0-80 and then holds the same top end as stock. Feel free to email or PM if you have any further questions.

StkVector.jpg

Stg1Vector.jpg

Stg3Vector.jpg

Srxspec said:
Our Stage 1 Vector kit is really a cheap upgrade and will pick up corner to corner performance (roughly 2 sled lengths faster than stock on bottom & mid with the same top end). We actually haven't sold any Stage II clutch kits and have mainly concentrated on the Stage 1 & 3. The Stage III has shown to pick up 5 lengths from about 0-80 and then holds the same top end as stock. Feel free to email or PM if you have any further questions.

I've ordered the Stage 1 kit and I'm just waiting for it to be delivered. Seems like it has the potential be a very cost-effective performance upgrade.

I'm curious, Allen...I hear that the secondaries on these high-torque 4-strokes are pretty stiff. Is reassembling the secondary after changing the spring/helix going to be a two-person job? How much twist on the spring? Which holes? (I assume that it's helix + clutch x 10 ?)

BigMac, the helixes finally showed up on Monday and the spring & helix were shipped yesterday :Rockon: We recommend that you wrap the secondary to 6-3 (90*) with the Stage 1 kit. If you've done it before you can do it with one person, but otherwise you may need someone to help hold the clutch and start the nuts.

Allen

Srxspec said:
BigMac, the helixes finally showed up on Monday and the spring & helix were shipped yesterday :Rockon: We recommend that you wrap the secondary to 6-3 (90*) with the Stage 1 kit. If you've done it before you can do it with one person, but otherwise you may need someone to help hold the clutch and start the nuts.

Allen

Great...I'll move the sled into the shop onto the air table - give it time to melt off awaiting arrival.

I've changed secondary spring/helix many times for multiple sleds/multiple trips out west, but never more than 70 degrees. With my kid awaay at school I guess I can get my wife to help me if I can't get it. That should be interesting.

Srxspec said:

You say that the Stage III picks up 5 sled lengths from 0 - 80 mph and holds the same top end (speed?) as stock.

But your graphs show a higher top end speed when either of the clutching Stages are used when compared to your stock graph. Maybe I'm not correctly understanding you?

Could you please elaborate?

The top end speed on the graph has nothing to do with the kit essentially, that's just however long I hold the throttle wide open on that particular run. The graph stops whenever I let go of the recording button, it just happened to be that I held the button a little bit longer on that particular Stage III run (not meant to fool anyone).

Allen

I have installed Allen's Stage III kit with very positive results. I'm not sure of the top end gain but I did gain top end speed. I have a friend with 700 XC that used to pull away from me on top end speed but now I can keep side by side with him and he no longer pulls any sled lengths from me. Improved bottom-midrange performance as well. The Super Tip weights seem to be very easily adjusted and I will be playing around with them as more riding time allows. The install is fairly easy, especially if you have a clutch compressor tool. I can do the install by myself with the tool. I would recommend his kits without any hesitation. ;)! He is also very helpful with any information you need. :Rockon:

Allen, What do you have planned with the Power Kits I saw on your sight? New cams, valves?? Keep up the great work and thanks for the help. And let us know what you think of the 06's when you get to ride them!

I have installed Allen's Stage III kit with very positive results. I'm not sure of the top end gain but I did gain top end speed. I have a friend with 700 XC that used to pull away from me on top end speed but now I can keep side by side with him and he no longer pulls any sled lengths from me. Improved bottom-midrange performance as well. The Super Tip weights seem to be very easily adjusted and I will be playing around with them as more riding time allows. The install is fairly easy, especially if you have a clutch compressor tool. I can do the install by myself with the tool. I would recommend his kits without any hesitation. ;)! He is also very helpful with any information you need. :Rockon:

Allen, What do you have planned with the Power Kits I saw on your sight? New cams, valves?? Keep up the great work and thanks for the help. And let us know what you think of the 06's when you get to ride them!

milljk, I was working on some different carb settings with an air box that flows more air, but lack of snow has slowed this down until I can get some serious testing in on it!

Srxspec said:
The top end speed on the graph has nothing to do with the kit essentially, that's just however long I hold the throttle wide open on that particular run. The graph stops whenever I let go of the recording button, it just happened to be that I held the button a little bit longer on that particular Stage III run (not meant to fool anyone).

Allen

Thanks for the honest reply. I truely appreciate it. ;)!

Back