• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How My RX-1 Embarrassed Me

4Fighter said:
My buddy on an '02 Viper got his butt handed to him by a guy on a 600 H.O. REV (Hole-shot, mid-range, and top-end :shock: ) He can't catch him - Can't believe it myself but since he's taken his Viper up to the Yammi dealer 3 times to have it checked out, tuned-up, and clutches aligned, and still can't win. I don't know??? But consider that the Modded RX-1's that oval race, run with modded 600's that's got to tell ya something? Maybe you expected too much from that rx-1 ton.
Thats not a surprise, the only sleds a Viper can beat are the 500s. The Viper was a joke and Yamaha should have never tried to market it as something that could compete with ZRs, XCs and MXZs.
Now about, this RX-1 that couldnt best a Doo SDI 600. Im really not surprised. It seems that Yamaha inflated the true hp numbers of the RX from 130 to 145 hp. Also, if you have an '03 its much heavier than a 600 REV and will need a lot more power to win.
Now, about the performance of the 900 Fusion. Some people get Fusions that run really well. I rode a Fusion last winter that I got up to 115 on the gps. I demo rode one last winter and it just didnt feel that fast. I was at 3/4 throttle and the speedo only read 95 mph.
I think that a lot of people looked at the horsepower numbers for the RX and think that its going to be a really fast sled. While they are pretty fast I dont see them consistently beating anything over 800cc. They give up too much weight to the big 2-strokes.
However, I dont think that most people who buy RXs and Yamahas really care all that much about having the fastest sled on the lake. I think that most of them bought it for the engine and for the build quality.
I still think that if you want a sled that will perform the best in a wide range of conditions that a 600 2-stroke is still the best option.
I think now the time has come for Yamaha to really put up or shut about about the 4-stroke thing. They are marketing the Apex, Attak and Nytro as ditchbangers. If the performance isnt there and/or if the sleds arent durable enough to take the abuse, a lot of people might turn their backs on Yamaha. Yamaha has gotten the most attention this spring and if the sleds dont deliver as promised, Yamaha might fall back into obscurity just as quickly as they have risen from it.
Cap'n
Cap'n

Well capt.toy,i dont know what your rx1 runs for top speed,but mine had no problem smoking every stock 800 and would run with zr9s and beat f-7s in 04 it was the 03 clutched properly,and it would of smoked the fusion bad,now maybe there is a couple of them that did go,but they were far and few between,and the milage and stentch from them would send you running for the house,lol and mine was very quick too,i have ran the 600sdi and mine had no problem at all,those that have need to clutch and go get umm.

Captain_Toyota said:
4Fighter said:
My buddy on an '02 Viper got his butt handed to him by a guy on a 600 H.O. REV (Hole-shot, mid-range, and top-end :shock: ) He can't catch him - Can't believe it myself but since he's taken his Viper up to the Yammi dealer 3 times to have it checked out, tuned-up, and clutches aligned, and still can't win. I don't know??? But consider that the Modded RX-1's that oval race, run with modded 600's that's got to tell ya something? Maybe you expected too much from that rx-1 ton.
Thats not a surprise, the only sleds a Viper can beat are the 500s. The Viper was a joke and Yamaha should have never tried to market it as something that could compete with ZRs, XCs and MXZs.
Now about, this RX-1 that couldnt best a Doo SDI 600. Im really not surprised. It seems that Yamaha inflated the true hp numbers of the RX from 130 to 145 hp. Also, if you have an '03 its much heavier than a 600 REV and will need a lot more power to win.
Now, about the performance of the 900 Fusion. Some people get Fusions that run really well. I rode a Fusion last winter that I got up to 115 on the gps. I demo rode one last winter and it just didnt feel that fast. I was at 3/4 throttle and the speedo only read 95 mph.
I think that a lot of people looked at the horsepower numbers for the RX and think that its going to be a really fast sled. While they are pretty fast I dont see them consistently beating anything over 800cc. They give up too much weight to the big 2-strokes.
However, I dont think that most people who buy RXs and Yamahas really care all that much about having the fastest sled on the lake. I think that most of them bought it for the engine and for the build quality.
I still think that if you want a sled that will perform the best in a wide range of conditions that a 600 2-stroke is still the best option.
I think now the time has come for Yamaha to really put up or shut about about the 4-stroke thing. They are marketing the Apex, Attak and Nytro as ditchbangers. If the performance isnt there and/or if the sleds arent durable enough to take the abuse, a lot of people might turn their backs on Yamaha. Yamaha has gotten the most attention this spring and if the sleds dont deliver as promised, Yamaha might fall back into obscurity just as quickly as they have risen from it.
Cap'n
Cap'n
Just curious CT, how much time do you have on the viper and RX-1 and have you ever rode an RX-1 and 600 2stroke back to back?

Dan

Ive ridden all of those sleds. I almost bought a new Viper a few years ago but decided to rent one for the day before I bought it. I wasnt impressed and bought a 700 XC instead.
I currently own an '01 Polaris 600 XC EDGE X and the day I rode the RX-1 I rode my EDGE X to the lake where they had the demo rides.
I think my 600 could take an '03 RX-1 based on the weight. An RX gives up about 120 pounds to my 600 and only makes at best 25 more hp.
If you ran for miles and miles I think the RX could catch up and pass me but in a 1000 ft race I think my XC would pull away off the line and the RX wouldnt have the speed to catch up.
I think that overall the RX was a great sled. Considering that it was the first real 4-stroke performance sled, Yamaha did a good job. I think that the Apex is the next step in its evolution and that it will improve upon some of the weaknesses of the RX.
Cap'n

You far overestimate the effect of a little extra weight. Also stock Viper's aren't that impressive. You open them up a bit with some bender pipes and they scream like a banshee. With some clutch and other work they are very competetive with 800 cc sleds.

I highly doubt that your XC 600 could have beaten an 03. It wasn't that much heavier than an 04 and even the F6 (which up till now IS the fastest 600) gave me no trouble. It would have been closer certainly but thats because of the shoddy track that came on them. Put a ripsaw on it and stud it and it'll beat 800's regularly. Only thing that can keep up with me in that class is a tuned 03 F7. They really scream and will blow away 04's and 05 F7's like they aren't even there.

I can vouch for smoking XC 600's

This past winter my buddy and I both have RX1's one 03 and one 04. We just happened to come on the lake in Haliburton. All 3 Polaris had at least 150 ft head start. By the end on the short lake both RX1's past by all 3 sleds. So we lined up again my 03 has no studs and finger track. Same results going the other way. Needless to say we stopped at the other end and the other guys did not.

Captain I really think you should own a sled and ride it a while before you make such brash statements. A rental sled is a hell of a way to become an expert on a sled.

Jim

Captain_Toyota said:
I currently own an '01 Polaris 600 XC EDGE X and the day I rode the RX-1 I rode my EDGE X to the lake where they had the demo rides. I think my 600 could take an '03 RX-1 based on the weight. An RX gives up about 120 pounds to my 600 and only makes at best 25 more hp. If you ran for miles and miles I think the RX could catch up and pass me but in a 1000 ft race I think my XC would pull away off the line and the RX wouldnt have the speed to catch up.
Nope, I owned a 2001 XC SP and my 03 RX-1 at the same time. It wasn't even close when racing. The RX-1 won every single race, by a lot.

greenmachine said:
Captain I really think you should own a sled and ride it a while before you make such brash statements. A rental sled is a hell of a way to become an expert on a sled.

Jim
I'll second this comment :ORC

Hey captain i dont think you should assume things,unless you have done some heads up testing,i owne the same sled,01 xcsp edge 600 and the rx1 03 at the same time and 03 prox7 with pipe and reeds and even the prox cant touch the rx1 once it is clutched,and the 600 no contest,from bottom up,i dont care if it is 500 ft.1,000 ft. or 1/2 mile,on snow,ice or grass,but my wifes 600 is close to the fusion,no it dont pass it,but the prox does in heavy snow,and my buddy 05 vector did last march up north down the rail bed..

Hey guys...does Yamaha's stock clutch setup get the most out of a stock Genesis Extreme? I am thinking not! I plan on having my clutching tweaked this fall and then it's time for revenge. Doos have easily adjustable clutches (dials?) and I know this guy played with his clutch weights a little before racing. I need to do the same.

I am sorry, Poo 600s are slow. I raced one from a stop once and walked away from one easily. 700s are not much faster; an easy win for a RX-1. 800s are even with mine.

Even though the Doo SDI can stay with me until 75, ride it and feels TOTALLY different. Punch it and it has nowhere near the pull that the RX-1 has...even though in reality it isn't slower except on upper mid and top end. Same thing with the Fusion. It doesn't FEEL faster or even on par with the RX-1, even though it probably is.

That 4-stroke torque is a great thing.

Yamahnator said:
stock Viper's aren't that impressive. You open them up a bit with some bender pipes and they scream like a banshee.
Yeah and they blow up like a grenade too.
Like I was told on the TY 2-stroke forum, "its a lot easier to make an SRX ride nice than it is to make a Viper fast".
Cap'n

redrx1rkt said:
I am sorry, Poo 600s are slow.
86 mph in 600 feet from a mostly stock sled is slow I guess.
No offense, but if what you all say is so true, then why is the RX-1 raced in the 600 class in grass drags?
Cap'n

Back