• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to Bypass TORS on a 05 RS Venture with Error Code 84

RADMAN

Hope somebody can help. Last year I had problems with the TORS system on my 05 RS Venture , I remember reading somewhere how to bypass the switch, it was unhooking and switching 2 wire connections under the handlebar pad. I had done this, all worked well, when I picked up the sled for the preseason inspection just before Christmas, the dealer said they corrected the TORS problem and they reconnected the switch. Now a month later we get snow and the problem still is reoccurring. Can anybody remember the link and what wire connections are disconnected? - I checked old postings and there was a reference to

"http://www.rx1.info/viewtopic.php?t=8954&start=45" but it is a bad link

Thanks

Look in your owners book i'm sure theres directions to disconect the TORS in there
BTW your dealer must suck and did not change your cdi box to fix the prolbem

Hello, new to the site and realize this is an old thread but hoping someone can help. I have a 2005 Yamaha RS Venture which just started to have code 84. Want to bring to dealer but cannot get into the trailer (just bogs when throttle applied) any idea how I can get it in my trailer. Looked in manual and tried the bypass but nothing seems to happen ie code 84 flash with throttle. Here is pic of my wires hoping someone can suggest maybe what I am doing wrong.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 12.17.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 12.17.34 PM.png
    751.8 KB · Views: 110
2 connectors in your image. By the right side of the handlebar. One connector assembly is white. One connector assembly is black. Both only have a single wire going in and out of them. Disconnect them both. Then, on the main harness side (the wires coming up through the cowl), plug the black into the white.

If bypassing this way fixes the fault, the most likely culprit is probably throttle cable adjustment. But there are other issues that could be at play as well, check out this other recent topic: https://ty4stroke.com/threads/2005-rs-rage-1000-tors-nightmare-help.165683/

Thank you very much, i did try that but the Code 84 still flashed when I pressed the throttle seemed to make no difference so I thought maybe wrong wire or something else needed to be done. Should the code 84 still flash if bypassed?

SorryI should have added I changed plugs, cleaned things etc as well as checked the cable etc and all seems ok but I am no expert so want to get it to dealer just too heavy to drag onto trailer

With the switch bypassed if the TORS fault still persists, the throttle cable slack, or the condition of the switches in the throttle handle block should not be the issue. The issue could be bad TPS, bad ground, bad ECU, bad spot somewhere in the main harness.

I would check for bad ground next:
Below the cowl near the backside of the key switch there should be a ground block, it should have a bunch of small brown wires all going into the same connector. This connector links all of the grounds in this area of the harness together. Have to pop a little cover off the top of the connector, and remove the piece of metal that is connecting all of the wires together. Clean up any corrosion and reassemble.

What I did was make a small jumper lead, and connect it to a known good ground (like the battery negative jump terminal outside the airbox) and connect the other end to the brown ground wire/connector that is at either the white or black connector you just dealt with to bypass. This "injects" a good ground into that part of the TORS circuit. But this requires a very small flat blade screwdriver to remove the wire connector housing (lightly prying a tab then removing the wire/terminal from the connector), sliding the terminal back into the mating connector, then clipping your jumper onto the exposed portion of the terminal. If not familiar with disassembling electrical connectors of this style I would not recommend trying, or if you do be very careful not to damage.

Thanks again, appreciate the suggestions and will give it a shot.

try bypassing it down on the throttle bodies. have had the switch down there go bad more often than the one at the bars.

try bypassing it down on the throttle bodies. have had the switch down there go bad more often than the one at the bars.
These sleds have a TPS (variable resistor) on the carbs, not a open-close switch that's easier to bypass on older sleds.

Thanks will use the advice to do further trouble shooting, note I did see some chaff wire maybe a mouse was busy. Will also make sure good ground and report back

Ground has me thinking especially chaffed wires ie in the pic the brown wire is exposed, I taped but maybe other spots also.

Back