• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hrydro lock question

salestim

Veteran
I have a buddy who has an 2005 RX-1 and sometimes he has difficulty starting his sled after trailering. He was told that it was fuel filling into the crankcase from the bouncing of the trailer. He was told he could add a shut off in the fuel line to help prevent. My previous Phazer was fuel injected and before that my Vmax never had the problem. My question is whether to add a shut off for my 2009 Vector GT.

i think yamaha recomends to trailer them with less then a 1/2 tank of fuel because they can hydrolock after trailering long distances with a full tank. i try to put mine on the trailer with 1/2 tank or less fuel to prevent hydrolock from happening. i used to have that problem all the time on my old polaris triples. i also have thought about shut offs but have never done it; lazy i guess, its easy to just load it with little gas in it...less weight to pull also...LOL

I had two shutoff's installed when I bought the sled new at the recommendation of the dealer. Cheap insurance against loss of valuable sledding time.

If I'm trailering somewhere where I know gas isn't close, I fill the sleds before I leave. I don't care about the extra weight....in the grand scheme of towing, what's another 100 lbs (12 gal. of fuel)?

I do understand that best case is to trailer 1/2 or less but as Groomerdriver stated, sometimes you are not sure if gas will be available at the destination. Groomeddriver I am assuming you have never had any problems since you have the shutoffs. Why 2 shutoffs? I only have experience from an old motorcycle but it only had one shutoff.

i was just joking about the fuel weight...lol at 1/2 thats about 100 miles of trail you can cover, surely you can find gas by then. you have to have 2 shut offs; 1 for each fuel line...

Fuel Injected sleds have no problems with trailering with full tanks of gas but any CARBURATED sled can have problems cuz of FLOAT bowls may tend to let FUEL dribble into cylinders caused by vibrations, here's a pic of what I did on my buddy's '05 RX1 and I also added a CARB warmer shut off when weather gets warmer it makes it easier to start, less vapor lock. Disreguard the yellow arrow in pic I had it in another post to show someone the screw...

http://www.ty4stroke.com/download.php?id=61486idle

salestim said:
I do understand that best case is to trailer 1/2 or less but as Groomerdriver stated, sometimes you are not sure if gas will be available at the destination. Groomeddriver I am assuming you have never had any problems since you have the shutoffs. Why 2 shutoffs? I only have experience from an old motorcycle but it only had one shutoff.

You are correct.....never had a problem and I'm religious about shutting off the fuel on my 2S and 4S sleds when trailering.

To the other gentleman who commented about being able to find gas within X amount of miles. Just to make my point clearer....I won't ever make a point to trailer with only my tanks 1/2 full. If they're full that's OK, and if they're almost empty (like now) that's OK too. I can always stop on the way to wherever I'm going and gas up if I don't know where a fuel stop may be on the trail.

Like the other poster said....there's 2 fuel lines hence 2 shutoffs.

I've often wondered about carb coolant shutoffs.....I bet one's MPG would go up 10-20% if you turned them off while riding in +20F and above temps.

I have 2 fuel shutoffs on my 06 nytro, no problems with restricting fuel. Always turn them off for trailering. Also use them when jacking the back end of my sled up for service etc.

I must be one of the lucky ones. A full tank, no fuel shutoffs & I sometimes trailer up to 8 hours at a time over some pretty crappy roads with never a problem. I know that I should install the shutoffs but just haven't bothered. Hopefully my luck doesn't run out...

Back