• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hurricane intercooler issues

ClutchMaster

HUGE Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper 270 hurricane,
2002 Viper W/162 A.C. skid, SRX pipes &CDI, 780 BB
Just an FYI for you guys running the Hurricane intercoolers. The bar the intercooler lays on beats the backside of intercooler up pretty bad and I have spots that are worn substantially. I couldn’t get the pic of the intercooler to download but you can see the bar is worn pretty good. For now I have the bar wrapped with rubber splicing tape but next off season I will weld a mounting point to the bottom of the intercooler to hold it from hitting the bar. Also my coolant tank almost rubbed a hole through as you can see.
Not sure of my fix for this yet.

40C4EE89-7591-49B4-B3CA-B15455F24FDE.jpeg 45FE2879-A8D4-4EB6-A525-455F8E900FBE.jpeg

While you have the intercooler off it’s probably a good idea to replace the factory hose clamps on the silicone boots with clamps designed for turbo applications (Bolt & strap type clamps). The factory clamps are pretty chinsee and not designed for boosted applications.

Man......that could make for a bad day!

Nice find, Steve!

EA5DBCB0-46C8-415B-8E5F-DB78F72791B1.jpeg
Some other issues I’ve found are on the exhaust side. The aluminum oil pipe that runs behind the muffler rubs hard on the mounting shaft for the muffler. It wore through the rubber splicing tape in one year so I had to give the pipe a small bend to alleviate. Then I also noticed my oil temps were trough the roof @ 300 degrees on a warm day. Well that’s not hard to figure out with an exhaust pipe 1/2” away from my oil tank. I wrapped the exhaust pipe and muffler so we will see if that helps, I’m sure it will.

502CF26A-612E-4394-9298-E7D3CA3D3AA8.jpeg 1323853B-3403-405E-949C-27ABFEC66C81.jpeg

Ok I got the photos to load

Well no more rubbing on the intercooler since wrapping the cross bar with rubber splicing tape but I did have the throttle body boots pop off the motor. Crazy I know, the intercooler has no mounting points, it held in place buy the boots only. In rough trails this can cause the intercooler to bounce. This eventually caused the entire throttle body and intercooler to pop off the motor. My remedy for now is strap the intercooler down with wire ties until I can fab up a mount to the frame.

I also had to cut the corner off the intercooler and re-weld a piece. It had almost rubbed a hole through the coolant tank.
5A6DAB38-1C21-4055-97B0-BD6C65CD395F.jpeg

is this intercooler the same for his 270-400 kit with the additional fuel rail in the top? otherwise then your issues how do you find the air intake temps?

Back