• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hurricane turbo review

Just finishing off the Hurricane Turbo on my Cat. I'm just an OK mechanical guy. No problem with oil changes and such. It took me closer to 8 hours to complete the install. Some of the instructions are pretty vague for an inexperienced person. Such as "Remove Airbox", "Remove Fuel Rail". Some things you have to figure out for yourself like where to route the oil line, routing and mounting the programmer and its wiring and that the temp sensor in the original air box needs to be moved to the new one. There's no mention in the instructions.

The vac line manifold included with the kit was made up too short to fit on my throttle bodies so I went and bought my own and made it up myself. I removed the aluminum cover that requires trimming and cut it on the workbench with the supplied template. When I went to install the turbo assembly, it still hit the cover so I needed to trim it some more for additional clearance.

No major gripes, just want to make people aware. A service manual would be a big help to someone who is not familiar with all the parts and pieces

Some pics.

Attachments

• 2014 ZR7000 Hurricane.jpg
    2014 ZR7000 Hurricane.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 456
  • 2014 ZR7000 Hurricane2.jpg
    2014 ZR7000 Hurricane2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 471
  • 2014 ZR7000 Hurricane3.jpg
    2014 ZR7000 Hurricane3.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 463
  • 2014 ZR7000 Hurricane4.jpg
    2014 ZR7000 Hurricane4.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 465
  • 2014 ZR7000 Hurricane5.jpg
    2014 ZR7000 Hurricane5.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 455

Just finishing off the Hurricane Turbo on my Cat. I'm just an OK mechanical guy. No problem with oil changes and such. It took me closer to 8 hours to complete the install. Some of the instructions are pretty vague for an inexperienced person. Such as "Remove Airbox", "Remove Fuel Rail". Some things you have to figure out for yourself like where to route the oil line, routing and mounting the programmer and its wiring and that the temp sensor in the original air box needs to be moved to the new one. There's no mention in the instructions.

The vac line manifold included with the kit was made up too short to fit on my throttle bodies so I went and bought my own and made it up myself. I removed the aluminum cover that requires trimming and cut it on the workbench with the supplied template. When I went to install the turbo assembly, it still hit the cover so I needed to trim it some more for additional clearance.

No major gripes, just want to make people aware. A service manual would be a big help to someone who is not familiar with all the parts and pieces

Some pics.

Nice job on the install. Does the New Air Box clear the hood?

air box clears. I bent my heat shield slightly for the side panel.

Looks very nice and clean! Please report back after you test it on the trail.

What did you install for clutching?

I will be adding the clutch kit from Hurricane. I bought it with the turbo kit. I've never done any clutch work so I was going to have a friend of mine do that next week.
No snow here and won't be for at least a few weeks so no rush.

The hood clears the airbox.

I bent the cover a bit too as well as the heat shield for a bit more clearance.

I did put the hood on and fire it up. Its a bit louder than stock at idle and a lot deeper, throatier.

Thanks for the info! Please add your location to your profile as we all like to see where everyone is from!

Some pics.

Nice work having limited experience and doing your own installation. I'll be doing my install this coming Monday and having looked over the instructions I would say that anyone who does their own sled maintenance and general repair would most likely have no problem. Instructions may be vague for some. Again, nice job and please report on the sled performance.

Thank you to everyone that has supported Hurricane Performance during the past year.It has been an awesome year with record sales.We want to wish everyone here on TY a merry Christmas with Gods blessings through the 2015 year.
from Dave,Elaine,George,Justin,Sean,Derick and Dora making up the team at Hurricane Performance

Thanks Dave for your patience and great customers service also your passion for helping us all go faster merry Christmas to you and all your staff.

Any of you guys who have installed the Hurricane turbo.

I am down to the end but have 2 lines left to deal with.

In the pic there are 2 lines that went into the stock air box. You can see them next to the rad cap. Aluminum line to the left and rubber line to the right.

What did you do with these? I was thinking of removing the aluminum line back to the rubber line its attached to and making some sort of filter for the end out of foam. The rubber maybe just wrap the end in foam.

2014 ZR7000 Hurricane7.jpg

the aluminum tube lays along side the coolant cap next to the air box and the valve cover vent hose hangs down in front of the head.They both vent to atmosphere
Could they be tied together with a little filter.. I have seen that on others?

Back