• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

hyfax ?

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 nitro mtx 162
i am wondering what the final verdict is on which set to use from yamaha. i was just told by two different dealers that the original ones are discontinued. i already have the wide style but am afraid to use them.
also what do i need to do to make sure that i dont spin them off the first time i use them?
thanks for the help

p.s i have already done a search on them and cant come to any conclusion on which to use

There are about as many opinions on this as there are members. The wide slides will be fine. By "spin them off", I asume you mean have them slip right out the back of the sled. Well, when you pull the skid to change them, I would recomend tou pull the skid so that you can see what's going on there, later you can try other methods. When you pull the skid you'll notice a screw at the tip (front) of each railm it's a #3 Phillips head. You will have to unscrew that to remove and replace the old hyfax. If you got the ones specifically for your sled you should be all set, if not you will likely have some cutting to do. Lay out your old one (assuming it's still in one piece) and copy the measurements from old to new. Make sure you taper the sides of the rear and front as this will aid in keeping your track clips on your track. You'll also notice a taper on the flat side at the back, this is for reverse so if you cut it off put a new taper on. Tap the new hyfax in place, making sure to line up the phillips head screw hole, and replace the screw. Make sure the screw is tight and below the surface and move on to the next one. Since you've got the skid out, it may be a good time to check everything else out.

i am hoping to avoid removing the skid as i have just 1400 miles on it and everything looks good.
i bought the yamaha wide slides, but have heard some stories that they are not the best choice.
i also bought new "end caps" for the front as i have also heard on this forum that they can come loose and cause problems.
i am also wondering if the wide slides need to be modified and have the tapers cut into them, or do they come already done.(i dont have them in front of me)
i am also wondering why the "factory original" part # has been discontinued?
thanks for all of the info.

You should remove the skid, if your going to do the rail tip mod you'll need to anyway. You'll be suprised at what you find when you take it out. As for the OEM part number being discontinued, no idea, maybe they are pairing the 144" with the 136" to eliminate a part number and stock. It's really no big deal just cu them down. The wide slide will have slight tappers in them but I increased the tapper on both front and rear. Don't bother replacing your rail tips unless your going to use the bolt mod. Check your track clips make sure they're all there.

The wide slides work fine, if you are worried about the rail caps coming loose try filling them with silicone before installing

I've gone back and reviewed the posts on how to change the hyfax on my apex er. I checked with my dealer Culley's Ranch in Lancaster Mass and he said it is $13/hyfax and around $25 labor for each one, which is under $100 for the installation. Being winter and no garage I think this is reasonable and will have him do it. For those of you who have used the put in reverse and strip them off method, where do you put the screw driver that is said to watch out? Is it put in the end of the hyfax sticking thru the window for rigid support?

You sound like a definte newb. Better have the stealer do it! Maybe down load the directions will help. check out the tech section

Honk said:
You sound like a definte newb. Better have the stealer do it! Maybe down load the directions will help. check out the tech section

no need to be condescending honk
we've all been newbies b4

apex55 stop asking dumb questions
jk lol welcome to the wonderful world of TY :Rockon:

My dealer shaves one of the slots on the track just wide enough to pull the hyfax thru. And no it doesn't weaken the track. He has guys that put over 10,000 miles on before trading and hasn't lost a track yet. Anyway, I jack up the machine, line up the oversized window, then I use an air chisel on the side of the hyfax and slide the hyfax right out. Been doing it that way since 1983 on all brands. :-o

apex55 if you were closer I would do it for you.

It is actually a easy job. I use a long srew driver in between the holes in track to push the hifax of the hole. I sprayed silicone spray on the hifax and at the end where it comes through the track. I NEVER cut the track. After 10" or so are through the track I use a pair of vise grips on the hifax sticking out and wrap a towel over the them and hit on the vise grips with a hammer. The hifax slide right out. Install the new pair through the hole, twist in hole and line up on rail and push on by hand. Line up the screw by taping with the end of hifax with the wood handle of a rubber mallet to line up with one hit at a time. Repeat for the both sides. Use BLUE loctite on the screw.
You just saved $100.

apex55 said:
I've gone back and reviewed the posts on how to change the hyfax on my apex er. I checked with my dealer Culley's Ranch in Lancaster Mass and he said it is $13/hyfax and around $25 labor for each one, which is under $100 for the installation. Being winter and no garage I think this is reasonable and will have him do it. For those of you who have used the put in reverse and strip them off method, where do you put the screw driver that is said to watch out? Is it put in the end of the hyfax sticking thru the window for rigid support?

Larry is a sneak thief dealer, his dad Culley was an awesome man and a great dealer at Culley's Ranch, do it yourself, it's not hard you have hundreds of people on here that can walk you thru it ;)!

Sharkattak, apex55, where do you guys ride? I live in Ashburnham Ma, but i ride and keep my sled in Northern Me. I go to cully's as well for parts but I do my own work on my sled.

1st I hoist the skid and take some of the track tension off. Then I just push the hyfax back with a cold chisle far enough that I can drill a hole in the end of the hyfax. Then I attach a cable off my weight set and use 20ib weight tied to the end of the cable to jerk hyfax out an open window. A little WD40 on the track window also helps. Then I tap the new slids on with a rubber mallet. Whole job done in 20 mins.

It is kindof similar to how auto body workers pull dents or mechanics pull front rotors/bearings parts off a car with a slide and weight.

$26 for parts and $50 for labor, i'd let the dealer do it. You will do one or more of the following the first time:

1. Strip the heads off the screws holding the hyfax in.
2. Break a screw off inside of the rail.
3. Strip the threads in the rail when reinstalling.
4. Damage the rail with a screwdriver or chisel when trying to hammer the hyfax off.
5. Swear uncontrollably - which is what I do as it is always harder than i remember.

apexg88 said:
Sharkattak, apex55, where do you guys ride? I live in Ashburnham Ma, but i ride and keep my sled in Northern Me. I go to cully's as well for parts but I do my own work on my sled.

I ride in Colebrook & Pittsburg NH

Back