• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I can't believe I'm posting this... anyone ridden a TNT?

RedPhazer

Expert
Hi Guys,

I really like my Phazer! But having said that, I have the itch to try something different... my dealership has a pretty good deal on a left-over 2009 TNT 500SS. I would rather ask Phazer owners their opinion instead of posting on Doo-talk because they are all gonna blow smoke up my arse. So, has anyone that owns a Phazer ridden a TNT? If so, what do you think? I'm also debating whether to sell the Phazer or just keep it and have two sleds. The temps have been really cold for Wisconsin so I'm getting the itch bad! Please don't flame me for this post!

:jump:

Thanks,
--Tom

My son has a RTX Phazer and last year we rented a TNT 500SS for the weekend just to try it and now he wants one. The Ski-Doo handles great and there is no issues with anything like darting, snow buildup in the tunnel, handwarmers, it justs all works good. The 500 is also quick and would keep up much better with my Nytro than the Phazer can.

I LOVE my phazer for what it is, but i am the same way, i have an itch to try something different. A buddy of mine has a tnt500ss and its a great machine. It has a decent amount of power, great handling and is really easy to throw around. He also broke his handle bars, chaincase, boogie wheels. Somethings gotta give.

Vector1 said:
My son has a RTX Phazer and last year we rented a TNT 500SS for the weekend just to try it and now he wants one. The Ski-Doo handles great and there is no issues with anything like darting, snow buildup in the tunnel, handwarmers, it justs all works good. The 500 is also quick and would keep up much better with my Nytro than the Phazer can.

FYI the 500ss is relay skidoos old 600 mill the the 500ss is a 600. Just thought you would like to know

I rode one and did like the handling alot.Suspension works but is much firmer than ours.But even with clutching it is not any faster than a Phazer.The speedos on the TNT's are way off.I was doing 80mph indicated and he was doing 90mph on his TNT indicated yet I was right alongside him.

Hi Cannondale,

I believe the specs on the 500ss TNT are 399 pounds and 106 horsepower. It has got to be faster than the Phazer somewhere... it's got 26 more horsepower and weights 90 pounds less! So, in comparison, which sled is faster in the following...

1. 0-60mph
2. 60-90mph
3. Overall top speed

Also, I can override my Phazer suspension (with FX shocks in the skid) and bottom it out with ease! Will I be able to ride the TNT harder with stock suspension but still not get beat to death when riding the little chop and ripples?

Thanks,
--Tom

I rode with the guy two whole days and never saw him any faster than my Phazer.He is a A class quad racer so no slouch either.I am going to say its because with 4st we have more useable torque.

1. 0-60mph Phazer
2. 60-90mph Equal(niether will do 90mph)
3. Overall top speed Phazer(SkiDoo guys all lift or blow $200 belts)

The suspension on the TNT is better than the Phazer stock suspension.It does handle the big stuff very well.Small stuff is not really uncomfortable just know its there.I am comparing this to my Phazer which has Axis suspension/GYTR fronts.Mine is plush and will very rarely bottom.The handling and suspension of TNT felt alot like my Ohlins SRX except it could take the big stuff 100% better than SRX.Just a shame it doesnt have more motor.I am telling you especially 0-60 it is boring.

You will also want to read up on what guys are doing to keep the motors alive.Like I said his was clutched and I believe he turned up the oil pump.It made the first year but not the second.

If you do get one we will for sure have to go riding this winter.See if my comparison is right eh?

Ughhh... this all is making the decision pretty difficult! I may have to wait and see if I can get to a Skidoo demo days, or maybe rent one. Even if I sell the Phazer and put the cash towards a TNT, it is still going to cost me around $4000 out of pocket. It doesn't sound like it is going to be worth it in terms of performance. I would be really upset if I sold the Phazer, threw down the extra cash, and then found that TNT didn't have much more to offer compared to the performance of the Phazer! My Phazer has YES warranty until February 2013... I would be p$ss@d if I bought a Skidoo and it blew up the second season. Guess I better get the shocks pulled out of the old Phazer and sent off to Pioneer before I loose anymore time.

Anyone else? Any other feedback on the TNT from Phazer owners?

RedPhazer said:
Ughhh... this all is making the decision pretty difficult! I may have to wait and see if I can get to a Skidoo demo days, or maybe rent one. Even if I sell the Phazer and put the cash towards a TNT, it is still going to cost me around $4000 out of pocket. It doesn't sound like it is going to be worth it in terms of performance. I would be really upset if I sold the Phazer, threw down the extra cash, and then found that TNT didn't have much more to offer compared to the performance of the Phazer! My Phazer has YES warranty until February 2013... I would be p$ss@d if I bought a Skidoo and it blew up the second season. Guess I better get the shocks pulled out of the old Phazer and sent off to Pioneer before I loose anymore time.

Anyone else? Any other feedback on the TNT from Phazer owners?

Shocks properly valved and set up for weight ridding style make the biggest difference. Find a good shock guy who will work with you. I think we changed the vavlving on my sled last year 10-15 times before we found something that worked well. Although sometimes depending on the track it didn't work as well.

I've rode Nytros before and they feel like TANKS compared to the Phazer. Why are Phazer owners always told to get a Nytro? Who knows? If I wanted a Nytro I would go buy one... and I can't imagine trying to get one un-stuck!

Anyhow, Yam177... I'm assuming you were not running the stock shocks. If you were, who do you recommend for shock revalving?

ATTENTION YAMAHA!!! We want Phazers with 100HP and 128" x 14" X 1.5" tracks! Are you listening?

RedPhazer said:
I've rode Nytros before and they feel like TANKS compared to the Phazer. Why are Phazer owners always told to get a Nytro? Who knows? If I wanted a Nytro I would go buy one... and I can't imagine trying to get one un-stuck!

Anyhow, Yam177... I'm assuming you were not running the stock shocks. If you were, who do you recommend for shock revalving?

ATTENTION YAMAHA!!! We want Phazers with 100HP and 128" x 14" X 1.5" tracks! Are you listening?

I will forward your request to Yamaha. We use fox shock all the way around the fronts are floats just reworked and the rears are fox.

Bruce at Beeline here in MN does great work with shocks he used to work with Yamaha's snowcross team he really knows what he is doing. He can make the stock stuff work well as well. Phone number should be 651-257-0828

The last TNT I rode was in the seventies...man, I'm getting old!!

Back