• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I rode a Viper...amazing handling!

Website
gfir.ws
(well, sort of rode one). As a lot of you know, I've been true-blue for years (since 2000). I bought an '03 RX-1 and fell in love with 4-strokes. I've had RX's, Apex, Attack's, and still have 2 RS Ventures.

Right after Christmas I jumped ship and bought two new '13 Cat ProCross XF Sno Pro 800's. I wanted a lighter, sportier feel. The handling is absolutely unbelievable. I love how this thing handles with practically zero tweaking! I put 144 studs on it & Bergstrom triples. My wife and I have 600 miles on our sleds - zero troubles. It's exactly the Viper chassis!

Still, I'm back to a smelly, smoky, 2-stroke that I have to put oil in every other tank of fuel. (And these things go thru a ton of fuel compared to my Yami's).

I SHOULD'VE WAITED 60 DAYS. The new Viper is the perfect combination of sleds. I'm thinking hard of unloading my Cat's and switching back - all I need to know is what the weight difference is between the new Viper and the 2-stroke Cat. If it's reasonable, I'm coming back home!

In the subject I put that I "rode a Viper". Sort of - it's a Viper with a Cat motor ;-). Don't bash this new sled until you try it - I think it's going to rock!

- Bob

Attachments

• img_3558.jpg
    img_3558.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 96
  • img_3576.jpg
    img_3576.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 90
  • img_3567.jpg
    img_3567.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 105
  • img_3568.jpg
    img_3568.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 97

So in a nutshell what you're saying is that you didn't ride a Viper, at all? lol

as someone else posted...
2013 Yamaha weights
Nytro: 512lbs dry, 572 est. wet weight
Nytro Rtx: 508lbs dry, 568 est. wet weight
Nytro xtx 1.75: 532lbs dry, 602lbs est. wet weight

AC non-turbo weights
PC F1100 sno pro: 518lbs dry weight, 598lbs est. wet weight
PC F1100 lxr: 522lbs dry, 602lbs wet
XF1100 snopro & lxr: 522lbs dry, 600 wet

marq said:
So in a nutshell what you're saying is that you didn't ride a Viper, at all? lol
Way to major on the minors...

87gtNOS said:
2013 Yamaha weights

AC non-turbo weights
Nice, scalp someone else's post to cut some one down...also, while the F1100 may have a similar chassis to the Viper it obviously has a different engine and clutching.

WTH?! Why does everyone have to turn into trolls when something new comes out?! Glad someone has a sneak preview of how the Viper is gunna ride!!

Stu said:
marq said:
Way to major on the minors...

87gtNOS said:
2013 Yamaha weights

AC non-turbo weights
Nice, scalp someone else's post to cut some one down...also, while the F1100 may have a similar chassis to the Viper it obviously has a different engine and clutching.

WTH?! Why does everyone have to turn into trolls when something new comes out?! Glad someone has a sneak preview of how the Viper is gunna ride!!

geez...listen to you. Ofcourse we knew already how it would ride....hasn't this chassis been around for 2 winters?

I am just stating the facts....and someone else was nice enough to post the FACTS on the weights....I cut and pasted!!

the viper's engine definately different than a Z1 it's WAY SLOWER.............

I disagree on the Viper engine v the Z1. Here's my point of reference:

The Viper will have the 3 cylinder "High performance Genesis" (basically Nytro motor).
My RS Venture has the 3 cylinder "Mid performance Genesis".
My brother's 2010 Cat TZ1 has the twin cylinder, 4-stroke Z1 motor (actually he has a pair of them).

I have way more acceleration on my "mid performance" RS Ventures than he does on his Cats.

Now, the Z1 TURBO, is a different story altogether. But the bone Z1 I believe will have less acceleration and speed than the Nytro/Viper.
--
The point of my original post was to give a frame-of-reference from a true blue Yamaha rider's perspective (at least until 2 months ago). I figured that 99% of the folks on here have never ridden the 12-13 new Cat chassis so I was just trying to give them a perspective not necessarily from a died-in-the-wool Cat guy but from a Yami guy.

87gtNOS said:
geez...listen to you. Ofcourse we knew already how it would ride....hasn't this chassis been around for 2 winters?

I am just stating the facts....and someone else was nice enough to post the FACTS on the weights....I cut and pasted!!

Whatever... :o|

Stu said:
87gtNOS said:

Whatever... :o|

lol!! perhaps a little too much head banging going on there?!!! :tg:

Thanks for the posting of the weights. I guess the Nytro XTX ain't so bad after all. The turbo makes it feel lighter every time I push the throttle and I got 17-18 mpg this week on 450 miles. The Viper looks good but I just about have the Nytro where I want it. I have 2300 miles on it this year and no problems.

Grassfirebob said:
I disagree on the Viper engine v the Z1. Here's my point of reference:

The Viper will have the 3 cylinder "High performance Genesis" (basically Nytro motor).
My RS Venture has the 3 cylinder "Mid performance Genesis".
My brother's 2010 Cat TZ1 has the twin cylinder, 4-stroke Z1 motor (actually he has a pair of them).

I have way more acceleration on my "mid performance" RS Ventures than he does on his Cats.

Now, the Z1 TURBO, is a different story altogether. But the bone Z1 I believe will have less acceleration and speed than the Nytro/Viper.
--
The point of my original post was to give a frame-of-reference from a true blue Yamaha rider's perspective (at least until 2 months ago). I figured that 99% of the folks on here have never ridden the 12-13 new Cat chassis so I was just trying to give them a perspective not necessarily from a died-in-the-wool Cat guy but from a Yami guy.

My 120HP 05 Vector used to SPANK my buddies Z1 Jag in a drag. That motor is not impressive without a turbo.

Besides with the new suspension we will drop 20-30 pounds losing all that snow and ice buildup. The sled will definately be at least 40lbs lighter. So I don't think it will be slower. I for one like it but I sure will miss that Yamaha sound. I was told that Arctic cat had two plants and closed one of them some time ago, and now Yamaha is in the other plant. I can see yamaha making their own touches and making it a whole lot better. Next year a mountain sled with 200hp weighing 500lbs or less. The Turbo is coming!!

[quote="Hammer 1" I for one like it but sure will miss that Yamaha sound.

It should sound pretty much the same being it's the nytro engine. Just doesn't have the exhaust out the back.

Back