• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ice Ripper track Safe or Not

ILVmax4

Lifetime Member
So I’m on a trip in the U.P. When I inspected my sled before leaving in morning I noticed I lost one lug. I installed track when 13 Apex was new and have 8800 miles. I pull the skid and service it every other year and it is due to be done this summer.

The rest of track looks great with just this one lug gone. I would prefer to wait till this summer but just want to see if anyone has thoughts on it being safe. Prob will put another 700 miles on it this year. I’m assuming it can wait. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• EAB1A9DF-F61F-4850-AC50-CAAC4A3B05F2.jpeg
    EAB1A9DF-F61F-4850-AC50-CAAC4A3B05F2.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 499
  • 7B2BFDF7-435E-421C-93D9-3A39F63BF35D.jpeg
    7B2BFDF7-435E-421C-93D9-3A39F63BF35D.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 571
  • E1E10779-BDE5-4A16-BE62-16421976F8D8.jpeg
    E1E10779-BDE5-4A16-BE62-16421976F8D8.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 533

So I’m on a trip in the U.P. When I inspected my sled before leaving in morning I noticed I lost one lug. I installed track when 13 Apex was new and have 8800 miles. I pull the skid and service it every other year and it is due to be done this summer.

The rest of track looks great with just this one lug gone. I would prefer to wait till this summer but just want to see if anyone has thoughts on it being safe. Prob will put another 700 miles on it this year. I’m assuming it can wait. Any thoughts?

I have the same track with 10000 miles and its starting to tear them off as well. I think you are safe to run it for the season. I think its loosing lugs from miles and age.

That's pretty damn good life on that track. I'm glad to see it. I would agree as well. Maybe a touch with a torch to clean up the loose ends, but fine for the most part.

Just don't sue me if it blows and trashes your tunnel. As rubber products could hold or blow at any time. If it were mine, I would be shopping tracks and try to hold off till the off season too.

Good luck!

should be fine to finish the season.

Should be fine but be weary. Had a track issue like that 5 years ago on my RX and it started shredding at 90 mph and was beating the hell out of my tunnel and exhaust until getting it stopped. Was a studded track which made the damage worse. Had to take a knife and cut off the loose piece of track and then drive 25 mph for 50 miles back to the trailer.

Part of my job is selling conveyor belting for a living . From the last picture you have worn through the first ply of fabric and the edge is cut . It’s in a spot where the idler wheels puts massive pressure right on that point . I would be very Leary of it lasting. If this was in the middle and the edge was intact I would run it. But being on the outside edge and only one ply left I wouldn’t run it in bad conditions .

Tuff luck I have 13500 miles on my 144 ice ripper. I suspect I will have to update soon and keep an eye on it. If it was mine I would replace immediately because I intend to keep my sled unless 2020 brings an Apex replacement. You need to keep speed sane triple digits could be dangerous and damaging. I had a bud with a doo that tried to get one last ride in the Spring the track blew and he rode off the track it was funny as hell but scared the heck out of him. A big pita towing that in on the rails. Lol. Since then I’m very conservative with worn tracks you have to replace so sooner is better imo.

I only ride this sled in pretty good conditions. (Leave this sled up in Rockland for the season) Due to work we will only see one more trip for a few days this year. I'm going to roll the dice and try to make it last. Trust me it was on my mind at higher speeds yesterday. I will be keeping it at a max speed of 70 until I get it replaced. Thanks for all the input.

Last edited:
I say run it. I have run tracks with whole chunks missing so you should be fine until the off-season.

I would definitely err on the side of caution. A buddy with a Polaris had his track come apart from the side like yours at high speed. He was able to get it whoa'd down ok. But the sled was fish tailing and making some hellacious noise as he was doing so. He got lucky! Coulda been much worse.
And the flapping pieces of track and studs took out his front cooler.

I only ride this sled in pretty good conditions. (Leave this sled up in Rockland for the season) Due to work we will only see one more trip for a few days this year. I'm going to roll the dice and try to make it last. Trust me it was on my mind at higher speeds yesterday. I will be keeping it at a max speed of 70 until I get it replaced. Thanks for all the input.

So how did it hold up? Mine is doing the same thing at 5,100 miles. Three lugs gone, 20 more fully cracked, 10 more spider cracked.

So how did it hold up? Mine is doing the same thing at 5,100 miles. Three lugs gone, 20 more fully cracked, 10 more spider cracked.
Good so far but only put about 300 miles on it. Going up Sunday for a 4 day trip which will probable be last time it is used this year. Will report back after trip.

I would definitely err on the side of caution. A buddy with a Polaris had his track come apart from the side like yours at high speed. He was able to get it whoa'd down ok. But the sled was fish tailing and making some hellacious noise as he was doing so. He got lucky! Coulda been much worse.
And the flapping pieces of track and studs took out his front cooler.

Back