• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ice scratchers

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2003 yamaha rx1
Thinking of getting scratchers for my 03 rx1 just wondering whither to get the cable scratchers or the spring type and where is better to mount them to the skis or the rail.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I have Straightline cable scratchers mounted to my skis. I can't honestly say how well they work since I haven't been able to try them out this winter do to lack of snow. I have seen other TY members mount theirs the same way I have mine and they are quite happy with them. I'm sure some of them will chime in.

I have cable scratchers mounted on my skis. Worked well this past week as we had freezing rain one day and then the next day it was below 0 all day. Trails were all iced in.
I had lots of snow in the skid all day long.

136"+ track I love my RSI rail mounted steel scratchers. For my wife's sled I went top of the line cable style (since anything sub par and they brake apart). I'm thinking she will forget and backup with them down which is no problem with cables style...

That was a few years ago. Now I would do it differently. For the amount of time you actually use them how they are when not in use is more important to me. Cables on the rail sticks out on the side and seems to grab snow/slush and freezes to a block of ice when not in use so the look bothers me. I should of gotten RSI's like mine and just buy spare springs if ever or option below.

Now for your short track your options are more limited. I tried ski mounted on my SRX and again looks horrible, catches snow when not in use, but works good...

Here is a better option in my view. Running boards styles. There cheap, 51$ +tax shipped (in Canada). All the reviews I read on them says they work good. Only down side is you feel them in your feet when in use, which can also be an advantage so you don't back up with them down. You can also put them down without getting out of your sled.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/2005-rs-venture-where-to-mount-rail-style-ice-scratchers.119980/
DSC07588.jpg

The whole what if I backup thing is overrated for ice scratchers for the few time trail sledders actually needs them. Placement is also a non issue. As long as they work good scratching your track will take care of throwing the snow/ice where its need to go.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/homemade-cable-scratchers.25348/page-3#post-402265

Here is a link for home made scratchers that Sleddog came up with. I took his example modified them a couple times and have used them ever since. Had slides last 7000 miles, and likely could have made it a couple thousand more. My current scratcher have over 3000 miles on them. I can hook them up if not required but have been leaving them down all season.
During initial testing I rode beside my wife on a icy trail/road and there was a stream of snow that resembled fog coming off the scratcher hitting the suspension on her Rage. When we stopped everything was dripping, the Rage also has the muffler above the track so my have influenced the dripping.
The scratcher part that contacts the ground has had a few mods. Started as piece of ss tubing and is now a track stud plus upgraded to 5/16" steel cable. Can make a set in less than an hour for less than a couple bucks.

Kimpex cable scratchers mounted on rails past the low snow wheels for the win! I wire them up on the rail when not using them but don’t forget it takes about 3-10 seconds to start burning your sliders

Back