• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ICE UNDER TUNNEL

The arrival of spring and temps in the 60's have completely eliminated my problem with ice build-up.

I sprayed a ATV chain lub back under the tunnel. Not sure if it was just a better day. But I had only a light layer of ice all day. Starting to think in must have helped. Maybe if it got heavy, it would break off easier.

But now the ice problem is gone until next fall for me as well.

what about glueing some plastic like a "krazy carpert" material on the inside,...it would be so slick there no way ice or snow would stick

cwcsrx700 said:
This summer I'm gonna run coolant through my tunnel protectors in a loop. To big of a job to start right now. Anybody try this yet?

That sounds like a better idea than the mountain cooler

Daranello said:
what about glueing some plastic like a "krazy carpert" material on the inside,...it would be so slick there no way ice or snow would stick
Not a bad idea, but what is "krazy carpert"? never heard of it. also, wouldnt it melt?

jeffT said:
Daranello said:
Not a bad idea, but what is "krazy carpert"? never heard of it. also, wouldnt it melt?

Interesting idea. Krazy carpet is a rollup plastic kids snow sled. Don't know if you can buy them anymore - they were somewhat dangerous for their intended purpose.

jeffT said:
Daranello said:

Here is a pic of a "Crazy Carpet", at least what they used to be called, but calling it crazy had too negative of a connotation to it. What has this world come to?

Attachments

• 0825206_1.jpg
    0825206_1.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 578
Crazy Carpets are made of polypropylene or polyethylene, both of which are somewhat hydrophobic and therefore shed ice and water. However, these materials have low melting points and would need to be placed at least a few inches from the exhaust system. Because PP and PE won't attract water a layer of the material fastened to the underside of the tunnel should prevent ice from building up significantly.

You'll need to use rivets or screws to hold sections in place. Neither material is adhesive friendly.

How about this idea.

I'm in the sign industry.
There is this clear tough laminate material that is used to cover such things as bank ATM key pads etc.
It is not a 1/4" thick and will be light weight, comes in rolls and applies to surface by adhesive backed liner.
I'm almost positive it is a Polypropylene plastic and tough enough. (although under tunnel is a brutal environment)
You can trim it to fit areas easily enough.

Anyway...
Running it down the tunnel sides and other flat areas under might be enough to insulate the aluminum and is also a poly plastic that should repel water.
Keeping it away from the hottest areas of the exhaust would be a good idea.

My chassis will be pulled in about a month from now.
I'm going to test this stuff this year.
Anyone else want to test some.
We get it in rolls 13" wide.
I can sell it by the foot.

Cheers

I basically took the block of plate from Schmidt Bros in and then cut approx. 4" wide by 6" long square hole in it right under the exhaust. This keeps enough air flow, etc, in there to keep everything nice and cool.

Back