• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yes, another tunnel icing thread, under tunnel exhaust tho!!

Furgwa

Extreme
I have the skinz seat w/under tunnel exhaust. Tunnel icing is RIDICULOUS, I'm thinking the only fix, or hope to fix, will be to install a rear heat ex-changer. Anybody running that set up? Does the silencer get in the way of anything? I should've taken a pic yesterday when i got it on the trailer.. Had to be 30-40lbs.

NYTRO

I have the same setup, and same problems. My sled is also over heating now. It over heats when i am in the snow, and when i am on a road it does not over heat. This is telling me ice or snow is bunching up in front of the exchanger so no new snow can be thrown on it.

Van amburg has a cool tunnel cooler i was also thinking about that runs the side and has a big rear section that would be the cats azz.

i'm in the same boat with two XTX's. who would have guessed a long track can't handle the deep stuff. Got to hand it it yamaha's R&D dept. yamaha should have a service bulliten for over heating and install heat exchanger. If you look at the parts site they offer the exchanger kit for the xtx. I'm gonna try block off plate and add the MTX heat exchanger.

I checked out the Mountain Performance tunnel cooler, and it looks absolutely awesome on their website. So i gave them a call, and they JUST changed them, and now they only run up the right side instead of both. Looks like theirs gets rid of the top radiator also, which is appealing. But, if it only does one side now, i don't think that is what i am looking for. I'm seriously frustrated by this, I am left with getting rid of the under tunnel, which leaves the exhaust hanging way the heck out the back of my skinz seat OR getting rid of the undertunnel AND seat, buying a new seat (my old one is ripped big time). OR being a guinea pig and spending $500 on a heat exchanger that i hope helps, with no guarantees. Sounds expensive.

I was having overheating issues, so I install the heat exchanger kit from yamaha and it was super easy....my overheating issues seem to be gone....well I hope.....I have a rear tunnel block off, that came with my sled when I bought it....but everytime I stop I lift and drop my back end a few times to break everything up....seems to do the trick....

I removed my tunnel protectors and that has helped. I still get icing, but it is not as bad as with the protectors in place. I also really clean it out at the end of each day when the stuff is still a bit soft. I rode in snow 4' deep last weekend with no issues.

Mountaintech or Roest as they use to be called just came out with a tunnel cooler. I think it's for sale, he was testing early season. Might want to pm him and get some more information

need a kit to put the yami mtn cooler all the way in the rear sideways. in other thoughts...wonder if a old srx rear heat exchanger would fit. run the hoses under the running boards for warm feet?

oh and this is going to sound TOTALLY crazy to you guys...but i never had overheating issues till i installed trailtank.
so my opinion was that the larger tank blocked airflow. also notice alot of steam coming up by the bars when i stopped.
so i removed the rubber trim piece by the steering shaft(right by the accy outlet) believe it or not the slight airflow improvement it makes has stopped my overheating.
rubber piece is probably 3x4 inches and has flaps to hide where throttle cable and brakelines go. think its 2 plastic rivets and gonzo.
leads me to believe that frogvents or the screen dash kit would do wonders. didnt do the dash as i have a windshield bag.
also if you DONT have a assy outlet, remove that rubber plug for more flow.

thought about dash vent, but the I more I looked most of the area on the dash is in front of rad. that leads me to believe it would not help vent any air from behind the rad.

Have been out three weekends so far with my oft block off and my van amburg rear heat exchanger. 85% of the rear ice is gone, and the sled runs about 168-175 most of the time.

I run a home made under tunnel exhaust. The icing varies depending on conditions. I see more ice along the sides then at the tail, I think this is because my exhaust shoots straight back. I used the ice free paint under the back and that has helped some.

I only over heat when Idling, I have the roest instrument vent and I also have the panels vented. I usually run 185 degrees down the trail and 195 when slow poking around on the trail. The biggest down side to all the vents is that you can hear the clutch rattle.

I was contemplating the full heat exchanger kit you were talking about, but not since they changed it as I would want it to go all the way around.

Back