• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Idler Wheel set-up

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2013 FX Nytro
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could comment on the idler wheel set-up shown in the pictures below. This is my 2013 FX Nytro (121") as it was purchased from the dealer with 4,600 km on it (had only one previous owner).

The main question I have is - why the large inner wheel only on the right side? It looks like there used to be one on the left and was either moved to the right or removed completely.

Does it make sense to have only one inner wheel at this location? What about 2, or none at all? Thanks in advance for the help.

left.jpg

right.jpg

X2. Your missing complete idler wheel and assembly. Your slider won’t last long without it.

Speaking of prolonging hyfax life, it's a great opportunity to throw some 135mm idler wheels on there...

I am rebuilding my skid now with all new bushings and I lost one X-wheel similar to where you lost yours but the bearing blew up so the attachment remained. Ripped off one rubber track nub in the process. I notice you have two smaller diameter wheels forward of the two inner ones. I don't have those smaller dia wheels, maybe worth adding. I have the 8 X-wheel kit and considering the 4th rear wheel... whats the deal with the two smaller ones... another aftermarket adder?

20171102_201847 1s.jpg 20171102_201857 1s.jpg

Better pic of my full skid... you can see the four outer X-wheels, the other pics show the four inner wheels, no small front wheels up front...

20171102_170835 1s.jpg

I am rebuilding my skid now with all new bushings and I lost one X-wheel similar to where you lost yours but the bearing blew up so the attachment remained. Ripped off one rubber track nub in the process. I notice you have two smaller diameter wheels forward of the two inner ones. I don't have those smaller dia wheels, maybe worth adding. I have the 8 X-wheel kit and considering the 4th rear wheel... whats the deal with the two smaller ones... another aftermarket adder?

View attachment 132571 View attachment 132572

Those extra wheels look to me like the marginal snow kit sold by yamaha. Not sure if still available or not.
I believe tho that that kit came with 4 wheels and was intended to be mounted between the first and second outside sets but on the inside of the rails. It’s meant to reduce hyfax wear in a known problem area.
All that being said those could be something completely different. But why they are mounted where they are puzzles me. If going to go that far forward a person may as well install an anti-stab kit. If someone’s hyfax is wearing bad at the turn of the rails it’s usually a sign of too much track tension...
Just some insight. I don’t know what they are either.

Agree... wear at the front turn of rails was marginal on my duponts, as you can see mine came with the eight X-wheel kit, four outer, four inner on the bottom, then the two upper ones at the springs and three at the rear axle. I just replaced all 13 bearings (most were worn, a few worn out) and am considering adding the fourth wheel kit at the rear but was not sure if there was a benefit to the two smaller wheels at the front of the skid. Ordered all new Yamaha stock bushing and the SB collars so my skid is as fresh as the new front end. I also bought the Yamaha synthetic racing grease, any insights experience with putting this everywhere (front and rear suspension) vs. the non-synthetic "suspension" grease Yamaha also sells... I assume synthetic is better but perhaps not, it spells our applications for "Grease B and LS" and then the non-synthetic for "Esso Beacon 325 and Aeroshell Grease #7" (WTF!) as specified....

SB Control Rod Collars.jpg High Perf Suspension Grease.jpg Synthetic Race Grease.jpg

Yamaha's have always been hard on Highfax. In My opinion it's the terrible attack Angle at the front of the Skid. I added two sets of wheels from Fix Performance to My RTX se and it's really helped.

Found a post in the FAQ on this topic, quote is relevant to what we were asking about the small wheels up front, perhaps to alleviate the "terrible attack angle". I don't mind putting 6 more wheels on my skid just as long as they do something!

Agree... wear at the front turn of rails was marginal on my duponts, as you can see mine came with the eight X-wheel kit, four outer, four inner on the bottom, then the two upper ones at the springs and three at the rear axle. I just replaced all 13 bearings (most were worn, a few worn out) and am considering adding the fourth wheel kit at the rear but was not sure if there was a benefit to the two smaller wheels at the front of the skid. Ordered all new Yamaha stock bushing and the SB collars so my skid is as fresh as the new front end. I also bought the Yamaha synthetic racing grease, any insights experience with putting this everywhere (front and rear suspension) vs. the non-synthetic "suspension" grease Yamaha also sells... I assume synthetic is better but perhaps not, it spells our applications for "Grease B and LS" and then the non-synthetic for "Esso Beacon 325 and Aeroshell Grease #7" (WTF!) as specified....

View attachment 132614 View attachment 132615 View attachment 132616

I went through entire suspension couple years ago replacing all bearings and bushings also. I just use the non-synthetic grease. It seems to hold up well and I always give it another shot after a thousand or so kms. I usually go through the entire skid every year take apart and clean up so the longevity of synthetic isn’t that big a deal to me. But to each his own opinion. Half of the battle is keeping your own mind at ease. If something does that it’s worth doing IMO.

I bet that idler was removed so an aftermarket center shock with a piggyback reservoir could be installed. The previous owner probably removed the aftermarket and reinstalled the OEM shock before trading it in.

Agree Mark, I think if you do grease a few times a season you are ahead of the game, syn on non-syn... I am going syn and greasing a few times a season. Grizz, could be... but I have the hygear setup with the piggyback shock upgrade (see pic) with the eight X-wheel kit, the piggyback is very tight but as you know just misses the wheel if you tighten things down. The clamp around the piggyback was loose and you might be able to see how the jacket on the hose leading to the shock had a wear spot. Still trying to get intel if the "Yamaha Marginal Snow" small wheel ahead of this one where the skid curves up at the front is worthwhile.

20171102_201857 1s.jpg

That's not a piggyback shock. It's an external reservoir setup. I installed a piggyback Ohlins center shock and had to remove that wheel so it would fit but after my hyfax wore out fairly quickly in that area I made a mount to relocate the wheel on the outside of the rail

idler7_zps75749a43.jpg
ohlin6_zps449753f9.jpg

Makes sense. I noticed I don't have the wear plastic you have on the top front of your skid, is yours a 144" skid? Maybe a change after the 2009 model year?

front upper skid.jpg

Back