• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I'm Confused??

Ruggybuggy

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Phazer FX 144
Everyone on this forum says you can run 87 fuel but I have a label on the machine by the gas cap that says 91 or higher. :dunno:

you can get away with 87. I prefer to run 91 but thats just my opinion

Only ever ran 91 or better in the phazer, I thought my sticker on the sled said 89 or better, my nytro says 87, but I was running 91 to stay away from ethanol, but I had to get 87 once, and whoa!!! what a difference,..nytro runs way better on 87, I do use an ethanol treatment..so no worries..but yea, its a noticeable seat of the pants difference..i never put anything below 91 in my phazer though..

87 octane fuel is up to 10% ethanol, moisture collecting and separating fuel. The phazer has a high compression engine and it requires the better (higher octane) fuel to avoid detonation. Im not sure about the 3 cyl Nytro engine's compression ratio but it does not rev as high as the phazer. I had to use 87 octane once and it was a noticeable performance loss. stick with the premium fuel its only a couple bucks per tank

I prefer to run 91 and above. I have added 87 when that was all the gas station had. Since the Phazer is designed to run on premium it will make the most hp and get the best gas mileage with 91 and above. There a few on here that prefer to always run regular. Their choice, not mine.

G.B.

Not all 91 is ethanol free.

If you need gas and you are in a pinch you can run 87. If there is any pre ignition the knock sensor will detect it.

I always run Premium gas 91 octane. it holds up better than the cheap stuff. Plus around here it doesn't have Ethanol.

Have always run regular (87) with no fuel issues to date - approximately 17000 km between the various phazers in the shed.

Here's another fly in the ointment. Later years apparently say to use 87 octane Even then I would still use 91 just to avoid the ethanol. And the manual says that if you have to use a lower "quality" fuel, the knock sensor will take care of any knocking.

Petro Canada uses ethanol in all their grades.

Mooseman said:
Here's another fly in the ointment. Later years apparently say to use 87 octane Even then I would still use 91 just to avoid the ethanol. And the manual says that if you have to use a lower "quality" fuel, the knock sensor will take care of any knocking.

Petro Canada uses ethanol in all their grades.

So did they change anything mechanically with the motors?

Buy gas from Canadian Tire Gas bars, they use no ethanol so my boat, sled and FZ1 all get it.

My 2013 still shows to run 91 octane.

Mostly 87 unless 91 non-ethonal is with in .30 or so. There are a lot of stations charging 1.00$ + for non ethy 91 over 87! I've noticed no difference in powers and have NEVER seen the DCS light come on due to bad/low octane gas.

I always run 91 because at Shell and Co-op gas stations that is the one without ethanol. For how many tanks a season I go through really it doesnt affect anything cash wise, so I go with prem.

Would anyone recommend E10? We've had a lot of people filling up with it at the gas co-op here and haven't heard any complaints yet.

Back