• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Installed my reverse kit today..one question

kinger

VIP Member
Website
www.piergenius.com
Just a note, i installed a used reverse kit today that came in a box of parts. The instructions on the tech pages are perfect and it went together way better then I imagined. First time in a chain case and it only took 3 hours start to finish. I just need to wire up the back up horn if I want to install it.

Anyody thinking of adding reverse and worried about the install, no worries its easy and fun little project.

:Rockon:

One question did anyone else find this spring funny? It looked like a little spring for a pen and it didn't seem like it did anything. Does anyone care to elaborate on its function. Its supposed to be a compression spring but does it work laterally as it engages with the reverse gear or in and out? Mine didn't seem like it did anything in and out on the reverse shaft...

Attachments

• rx1rev5.jpg
    rx1rev5.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,799
well i smiled a little bit but dident actually laugh, so i guess its sort of funny :jump: yes the little spring is required to make it work properly, just another aggravating little piece to keep an eye on when re-assembling.

I put the spring in, but it didnt make much since to me either Kinger.

Good price of the reverse. I got mine for $275. Thats always a good buy for $300. You will like how it works also. Very smooth compared to the sx,viper style IMO.

Also no hood cutting, no drilling, modifying. Straight bolt up and even straight plug in for the back-up horn. ;)!

Ya those horns suck, When I installed mine I just put a small LED in the dash to let me know Im going backwards

Oh Yea the spring is in there to help keep the chatter out of the gears(I think)

:nos :tg:

Had riding buddy with the horn and couldnt stand the noise so he pulled it out.... next ride we stopped to dig someone out and he forgot he put it in reverse. fired up the sled and nailed the gas. threw him over the bars and slammed right into the guy we just dug out.

payed for the the other guys front bumper and his own back bumper plus straigthen out his tunnel. He put the buzzer back in when we got home. :o| :jump:

kinger said:
One question did anyone else find this spring funny? It looked like a little spring for a pen and it didn't seem like it did anything. Does anyone care to elaborate on its function. Its supposed to be a compression spring but does it work laterally as it engages with the reverse gear or in and out? Mine didn't seem like it did anything in and out on the reverse shaft...

I wondered about that spring also when I was in there inspecting things :home:

Lazy Bastard told me he runs without it :dunno:

I to did the reverse install. very easy just hard to find the kit. the little springs function is to help reduce chatter but more importatly it helps the gears mesh when going forward to reverse and vise versa, other wise yamaha would have made one big gear. if you notice the two gears can only turn about 1/16 of a turn between them. most mechanical reverse kits use this system regardless of sled model/make. I really like the idea of the led light instead of the beeper. Thanx for the idea

Back