• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is the Odometer off ?

Preacher

Expert
If the speedometer on my 07 Attak is off and showing a higher speed then the actual speed, Does this mean my odometer is effected as well which would mean we are showing more miles on our sleds then are actually being put on it. Also, are all stock attaks/apexs speedos off? Thanks

Nope,

Your machine is the only one with this problem!! Actually I'm not sure. I was thinking the same thing the other day. If speedo is off then odometer must be off as well. Nice to meet you at Deans, Preacher!

Preacher said:
If the speedometer on my 07 Attak is off and showing a higher speed then the actual speed, Does this mean my odometer is effected as well which would mean we are showing more miles on our sleds then are actually being put on it. Also, are all stock attaks/apexs speedos off? Thanks
The speedometers (and therefore odometers) on all Yamahas, since the beginning of time, are off, by somewhere around 8-10%. Pretty common with all brands. There's a mod you can do to the speedometer gear/pickup - a search for that here on TY will show you how you can make it more accurate. Most Yammie owners just live with the inaccuracy.

The amount that the meters are off varies greatly from sled to sled and from ride to ride. Though there is some tendency for the manufacturer to exaggerate on the speeds, a LOT of it is actually a function of your traction efficiency. These machines drive on snow and ice, snow is soft and tends to compress, ice is slippery and doesn't grip. Using a radar gun, I've measured my speedometer to be off by as little as under 6%, which is actually better than my pickup, which is off by over 7% (chev, stock). For this reason, you can NEVER have an accurate speedometer, no matter what kind of modifications you do to it.

sawsalesman said:
Nope,

Your machine is the only one with this problem!! Actually I'm not sure. I was thinking the same thing the other day. If speedo is off then odometer must be off as well. Nice to meet you at Deans, Preacher!
Hey shawn (sp.?) Good to meet you .It is definitely a small world. Did you decide where you guys are ridding? I just got back from the county again and it was awesome. More snow on the way.

LazyBastard said:
The amount that the meters are off varies greatly from sled to sled and from ride to ride. Though there is some tendency for the manufacturer to exaggerate on the speeds, a LOT of it is actually a function of your traction efficiency. These machines drive on snow and ice, snow is soft and tends to compress, ice is slippery and doesn't grip. Using a radar gun, I've measured my speedometer to be off by as little as under 6%, which is actually better than my pickup, which is off by over 7% (chev, stock). For this reason, you can NEVER have an accurate speedometer, no matter what kind of modifications you do to it.
I'm having trouble understanding your theory. If the track is slipping because of snow conditions, then I agree that radar speed will be variably different than speedometer speed. If the track isn't slipping, there should be a 1:1 ratio between track speed and sled speed over the snow, and if the Hall-effect pickup teeth are calibrated correctly (they aren't) then the speedometer speed could be very accurate. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something basic, but I don't think that the track is always slipping. I own two different radar devices and I've hit many different trailside radar displays ("Your speed is.....please slow down") that are so common in eastern Montana. The inaccuracy in Yamaha sled speedometers has been consistent from sled to sled, and year to year.

guys......yammie knew full well what they were doing when they built in up to 10% on the MPH SPEED....

the reason i know this...is that ive seen the ODO to be ACCURATE....

so when we did our SPEEDO mods(two teeth off),we make the speedos accurate but then the ODOs are LOW by that same 10%(approx)

Dan

ROCKERDAN said:
guys......yammie knew full well what they were doing when they built in up to 10% on the MPH SPEED....

the reason i know this...is that ive seen the ODO to be ACCURATE....

so when we did our SPEEDO mods(two teeth off),we make the speedos accurate but then the ODOs are LOW by that same 10%(approx)

Dan
Good to know, thanks Dan

Preacher,

I would like to ride in the county but I'm being outvoted by the other 3 riders in the group. They want to go back to Quebec so I guess that's where I will go as well. Sometimes it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

you can,t go wrong in Quebec this year,tons of snow.Only drawback is the cost is higher and you have to be vigilant against theft

My wife & I rode yesterday. I'm not sure how far because my Attak showed 109.4 miles, my wife's Ski-Doo GSX showed 107.5 and my Garmin 60CSX showed exactly 105. I'm thinking we went 105....

As far as MY speedometer goes, that's way off. I think the 10% number is right all the way up. I tried to run along at 65MPH on the speedo & the GPS showed a maximum speed of 58.7.

I could give you higher numbers on the speedo & GPS readings but they might be incriminating. Let's just say the 10% off is about right.

TimC

BigMac said:
I'm having trouble understanding your theory. If the track is slipping because of snow conditions, then I agree that radar speed will be variably different than speedometer speed. If the track isn't slipping, there should be a 1:1 ratio between track speed and sled speed over the snow, and if the Hall-effect pickup teeth are calibrated correctly (they aren't) then the speedometer speed could be very accurate. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something basic, but I don't think that the track is always slipping. I own two different radar devices and I've hit many different trailside radar displays ("Your speed is.....please slow down") that are so common in eastern Montana. The inaccuracy in Yamaha sled speedometers has been consistent from sled to sled, and year to year.
Yes, the track is ALWAYS slipping to some degree.

For what its worth.....TOM(MUSKOKA APEX RTX 07) and I rode today mile for mile......Mine has two teeth ground off which makes the SPEEDO 100% accurate with my GPS at all speeds,but obviously this changes the ODO.....Toms sled still has stock speedo gear with NO teeth ground off....

We found there to be a 14% difference in ODOs.....when I hit 100miles on ODO he hit 114.

this makes perfect sense....as we all were finding our SPEEDOs stock were about 14% too hi.....

I believe the stock ODOs are pretty darn close in accuracy....so once again i beleive YAMMIE "built in" some speed....so the bar room racers would sound fast.

Dan

I use a gps every ride. Our ODOs are off 4%. They are also very close compared to other brands of sleds except the new XPs. They are almost right on with GPS.

Back