• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is your current Yamaha really that bad?

i Love my 17 Vipers, I may complain about a lot but they have been good running trouble free machines! Im just worried about long term on these cats. I ve owed yamaha since 95 phaser 10500km, 97 Vmax XTC 13000km, 2001 SRX 8000km , 2003 Viper (17000km) 2007 Apex GT (10600km), 17 viper LTX and RTX currently at 4800km. All have worked perfectly, The 97 needed an engine because of an oil pump drive hub failure but yamaha took care of it at 9500km! The Vipers handle well ( slowly working on making they ride and handle like i know they can) and they are good on fuel. Over all i love yamaha, I just would like some options, as of right now there is nothing new to trade up to, I don't need a winder, i trail ride and need to get there and back in style.

I blead bleed blue. I currently have a Yamaha Waverunner and Grizzly. I had many Yamaha snowmobiles in the past including an SRV, two Attacks, two Apexes, and an Apex with power steering (I really liked the Apexes at one time). I wanted a 2 stroke trail machine and bought an Arctic Cat Procross 800. It was cheaply built and had 2 issues within the first year so I sold it. I bought a Polaris Switchback last year and liked it so much that I bought a Polaris Rush for my second machine. I sold my Apex with power steering this past fall and now am all in with Polaris for snowmobiles. I will never own a Yamacat based on my Arctic Cat ownership experience. Maybe some day Yamaha will build their own sled again, but I doubt it. Until then I will stick with Polaris.

Well just my opinion on my’15 stxdx. Listen, so the first winter (‘16)all the chain case oil leaked somewhere, dealership repaired what ever they repaired and slapped my wrist, machine was down for a month of no riding in prime time ( March).My son drove the sled with his friends, always having to put it in a heated garage to melt all the ice underneath the engine area, then all that ice blew out the control arm rubbers.Reverse never worked properly from the first winter I drove it till it completely quit and then I bought a new updated actuator which I didn’t need because I took apart the electric motor on the actuator and found the problem! Cost me $325. Reverse still working. Now a month and after a half ago the top bearing in the chain case blew apart! Looked like that bearing was over tightened because of wear. Just got all the parts today and see that the dealership mechanic might not have pressed the bottom seal in all the way! So I’ve been out a machine again for over a month of prime riding! And some of you think nothing of this #*$&@! Really I have a ‘99 VT600, ‘81 340 enticer, and a’03 Trail touring that haven’t ever let me down like this viper. I have to wait for parts only thinking that there’s a back order because there’s lots of people needing replacement. So what am I going to feel for this machine? Nothing. It’s for sale once I get it put together, also it’ll be spring here so I won’t get to ride it again!Good luck boys

Our current sleds are a 16 Apex XTX 1.25 and a 17 Sidewinder LTX-LE Nearing 7,000 miles on both sleds and this season isn’t over yet. With the info this site provides, I’ve been able, through my dealer to take care of most potential problems proactively, and under warranty. The Sidewinder has had its share of issues, but it is a first year production (17) the Apex has had many years and thousands of miles to iron out the issues. We’re on track to snowcheck a Sidewinder GT for my wife, going to keep her 16 Apex for a third sled, lots of miles left in that sled but she would like to upgrade. Staying on Yamaha as it simply performs and with a great dealer, lots of smiles and great memories.

I've been riding a 2010 turbo'ed nytro for the past year with almost 9000k on it. Is it heavy compared to an 800 Doo? Yes. Does it float on the powder the same way? No. On the flip side, when squeezing the throttle at 3000 rpm does it pull hard and consistent all the way up to red line? Yes! I sure can appreciate the other guy's product but I'm satisfied with what I have and the more I ride, the more I learn and the more I can handle it. I can't speak to Yammy's newer models but I sure do wonder at times. It's not so much what you ride, you just need to (quoting a recent EDM song) "enjoy the ride". I'll also say I'm glad to be the 'outlaw', the only guy I know that rides a Yamaha.View attachment 147137
Me too bro I’m an outlaw as well all my buddies are doo doo riders I have an old mxz 800 zx chassis it’s all mountain modded! But I love the R1 and the yzf450 so im a yammy fan boi
And the engine is Amazing it’s a yam there Chinese perfection

i Love my 17 Vipers, I may complain about a lot but they have been good running trouble free machines! Im just worried about long term on these cats. I ve owed yamaha since 95 phaser 10500km, 97 Vmax XTC 13000km, 2001 SRX 8000km , 2003 Viper (17000km) 2007 Apex GT (10600km), 17 viper LTX and RTX currently at 4800km. All have worked perfectly, The 97 needed an engine because of an oil pump drive hub failure but yamaha took care of it at 9500km! The Vipers handle well ( slowly working on making they ride and handle like i know they can) and they are good on fuel. Over all i love yamaha, I just would like some options, as of right now there is nothing new to trade up to, I don't need a winder, i trail ride and need to get there and back in style.
They brought back the SRX get one ☝

Was looking to do a Alpha this year but missed out on the pre buy , glad with the issues popping up.
Going to keep enjoying the 17 MTX till something better comes along , at least with Yamaha it will run until something better comes .

I have owned many different brands of snowmobiles but it was Ski Doo that got me into the sport back in the day and over the years it has been Yamaha that has kept me in the sport, now sense being on TY I may have hinted that I like my Apex from time to time but when I make a purchase I like to think I am being cautious , I bought this sled on that very note, proven, high tech, reliable, but not free of some problems for sure but pretty much basic that are easy fixes with regular servicing, now there are riders on this site that are a lot braver then I when purchasing and stepped up and bought what Yamaha was offering new like the Viper and Winders, they seem to be happy with there purchase and are at au with the winders power, Yamaha engines are simply the best out there in the sled business, I have owned Cat sleds in the past and frankly they have left a bad taste in my mouth, I guess that's why I am so down on the pro cross and the Cat Yammi agreement, i'm just superstitious , but I will say that I do respect the guy's that have moved forward with Yamaha and bought Vipers and Winders and shared there info on these sleds on Ty for all to hear the good and the bad, for now I will count my blessings and enjoy what I got for a sled. :)

I have owned many different brands of snowmobiles but it was Ski Doo that got me into the sport back in the day and over the years it has been Yamaha that has kept me in the sport, now sense being on TY I may have hinted that I like my Apex from time to time but when I make a purchase I like to think I am being cautious , I bought this sled on that very note, proven, high tech, reliable, but not free of some problems for sure but pretty much basic that are easy fixes with regular servicing, now there are riders on this site that are a lot braver then I when purchasing and stepped up and bought what Yamaha was offering new like the Viper and Winders, they seem to be happy with there purchase and are at au with the winders power, Yamaha engines are simply the best out there in the sled business, I have owned Cat sleds in the past and frankly they have left a bad taste in my mouth, I guess that's why I am so down on the pro cross and the Cat Yammi agreement, i'm just superstitious , but I will say that I do respect the guy's that have moved forward with Yamaha and bought Vipers and Winders and shared there info on these sleds on Ty for all to hear the good and the bad, for now I will count my blessings and enjoy what I got for a sled. :)

20/80.....I think that this is the best post that you've ever made. Well said indeed.

Cheers!

Well I jumped to Yamaha in 05 with my Warrior. Not a perfect sled in any way. Had lots of issues except the engine, clutches chain case and everything in between. I rode it for 18,000 miles and was very happy with it after I upgraded the rear skid the ski`s the sway bar the seat the bushings and donuts. I replaced a track and driveshaft at 9,000 miles but I don't blame Yamaha on that. I then bought a 2011 Apex XTX and what a difference over the 05. Yamaha had refined the hell out of it and fixed all the issues along the way.

This brings me to the Cat sleds. If they followed the course of the first delta box to the last gen one. They would be refined and all the issues would be fixed. Now Yamaha is slow and moves even slower and it showed in the Delta box. I mean it took them 7 years to fix the handwarmers on the Apex. So because Yamaha buys their sleds and is not in the driver seat the same issues are there year after year. Can a guy fix them? Sure they can be fixed but expecting Cat to fix them instead of Yamaha is the problem. Yamaha can't and Cat just won't and maybe its because Textron is in the drivers seat. Old saying too many cooks spoil the broth and in this case it applies.

I should have bought a new sled by now ( I have the money) but I just don't want to go back to fixing the manufactures mistakes because they won't. I did that once with Yamaha with my Warrior and now have a great Apex sled. Starting over again just sucks. I have excellent clutches and belt life. Bushings and donuts are like new. Brakes are perfect. I have grease nipples everywhere. It rides the trails like it was designed too. For an old sit down rider like me its perfect. Still waiting for Yamaha to design something better.

Now I know this is going to piss the Cat people off but why? You made your choice and are happy so I am happy for you. I like sleds all sleds even Doo's

Well said Squatch!
This is EXACTLY how most of us feel.
I don't mind shortcomings or mistakes, but Cat or Yamaha isn't fixing this bearing issue.

Now that i have some time on this chassis, just like my Apex, i feel as though i'll be OK as long i do specific things in off season.

There are 3 things i will do every summer:
1. Change brake bearing & use BOP McWedgy tool
2. Replace top sprocket bushing in chain case
3. Keep up with with primary clutch rollers

Just like my Apex, it took a couple years to get to this point.

I must say though, as much as i love the Apex, at this point, there is NO WAY i can go back! Took me 3 years to say that.

2013 Nytro XTX with most of the recommended upgrades (+/- 160 hp) with 3k miles, and stock 2014 Viper RTX (in theory, the wife's sled : ), with 5k miles. I love both of them. If pushed to choose one, I'd probably keep the Nytro, but it would be a very difficult choice because the Viper is so good when the trials are beat to hell at the end of the weekend. Thanks to TY I've kept up with areas of concern on the Viper, and it's been very reliable. I'd love to add an Apex XTX as a "back-up" sled, and the SW is enticing, but the Viper, and especially the Nytro, pull as hard as I want corner to corner in the twisty stuff here in NH such that the SW's extra muscle probably wouldn't do much for my type of riding...other than get me in trouble faster. Short of some dramatic, game changing technological advancement (hopefully by Yamaha), I'm all set set for the foreseeable future.

Back