• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

It’s finally over for Yamaha

Well it sounds like if Cat wants the engines Yamaha will still supply them. How that looks after 2025 is anyone’s guess, but it wouldn’t shock me to see Cat offer Thundercats, 9000 and 7000 series sleds after 2025. I mean there will definitely be a market for people that still want these (or similar) engines,View attachment 172949
Nothing definitive there past 2025.

Nothing definitive there past 2025.
I would agree. Cat will be focused on getting a bigger engine in the Catalyst for 2025. Anything 4 stoke will be carryover Cat-Yamaha stuff. Cat will likely have a new 4 stroke offering in 2026. What that will be? Who knows. We could speculate all day long unless we are sitting in the corporate planning meetings.

Not sure why all the sad faces, my god Yamaha hasn't made a pure Yamaha sled sense 2018 with the Apex being discontinued, few utility and touring sleds after that, CAT, YES CAT has been making the sleds sense 2014, the joke has been revealed, your blue Sidewinder is....a CAT, Yamaha is a motor company, the 998T is not going away any time soon, the question is what will it end up in, wonder where Jaret will be moved to, or where he's going, He may surprise or even shock you all.

Well it sounds like if Cat wants the engines Yamaha will still supply them. How that looks after 2025 is anyone’s guess, but it wouldn’t shock me to see Cat offer Thundercats, 9000 and 7000 series sleds after 2025. I mean there will definitely be a market for people that still want these (or similar) engines,View attachment 172949
Lol surprised to see that show up here. I didn’t expect much for info when I asked but I had to anyways. Hopefully someone will continue to use the motor. I really don’t want to go back to a 2 stroke.

Lol surprised to see that show up here. I didn’t expect much for info when I asked but I had to anyways. Hopefully someone will continue to use the motor. I really don’t want to go back to a 2 stroke.
Oh so that’s you? lol I‘m actually surprised they gave that much detail in an answer on Facebook to be honest. Now that might only mean until 2025, but it was something. It also confirms Jaret pretty much runs everything including Facebook because some low level social media manager wouldn’t have given that answer. Haha. I would expect Ski-Doo, Polaris and Arctic Cat to all offer 4 strokes after 2025. Whether or not any are Yamaha engines is anyone’s guess at this point.

Bottom line (and many on this forum don’t want to hear this) is the minute Yamaha quit offering their own 2 stroke sleds it was over. It might have taken 20 years, but their market share just continued to erode because lightweight off trail is where it is now. The joint venture with Cat bought them about ten more years because they would have folded the snowmobile division 10 years ago if the Arctic Cat agreement had never happened. They tried with the Deltabox, Deltabox II, and FX platforms, but they just didn’t work out. Deltabox sleds are great trail cruisers, but that market is a fraction of what it used to be. The FX sleds just never worked out for the markets they intended them for and when they didn’t that was it. They rode the ProCross to the end.

I remember when my bud "acquired" his Grand Ma's 1971ish 433 Yamaha in early 80's.
He sank it in the local pond in 10 feet of water.
Took us whole day to get to it in 3 feet of snow then another day to get it out.
We drained it & rebuilt it.
One of them prettiest sleds I've ever seen.

THAT was my introduction to Yamaha's

Bottom line (and many on this forum don’t want to hear this) is the minute Yamaha quit offering their own 2 stroke sleds it was over.
Everyone wants to tie the demise to the dedication to 4 strokes.
I would argue the downfall started when they fell behind in chassis and suspension development. They then paired their lack of suspension tech with the RX-1
The motors where heavier yes, but if they rode and handled better the sales would have shown it.
My first 4 stroke was an RX-1. I changed everything on that sled except the drivetrain and tunnel in an effort to get it to ride and handle as well as the competition.
Also, they rode that Delta Box chassis into the dirt. It was not industry leading when it came out and then they left it basically unchanged for over 10 years. The Procross is equally as old, but it rides and handles well.
I would say the last time Yamaha was at the forefront of suspension and ride was with the original Phazer. 1984
The combination of heavy motors, old chassis design, and lack of new product drove the sales down and towards CAT chassis.

The good parts is we ended up the Sidewinder, which is the best sled I have ever owned.

Yamaha will have RECORD sales in 2025
They can't. They can only sell what CAT will build them.
Maybe high requests.
They sold a boatload of Phazers though back in 84,85, back when they were the sales leader.

Maybe this will force Polaris to put some performance in their 4-strokes to fill the void.
Maybe even a YAMAHA!!!!!

All spring orders have been selling out within minutes.
So their hands have been tied by how many sleds cat would build for them.
They couldn't build enough sleds in recient years.
Looks like it was time to invest or...

They can't. They can only sell what CAT will build them.
Maybe high requests.
They sold a boatload of Phazers though back in 84,85, back when they were the sales leader.
Back in the eighties Yamaha sleds were years ahead of the competition. Doo were the poorly built heavy tanks.
My, my how the tables turned.

Oh so that’s you? lol I‘m actually surprised they gave that much detail in an answer on Facebook to be honest. Now that might only mean until 2025, but it was something. It also confirms Jaret pretty much runs everything including Facebook because some low level social media manager wouldn’t have given that answer. Haha. I would expect Ski-Doo, Polaris and Arctic Cat to all offer 4 strokes after 2025. Whether or not any are Yamaha engines is anyone’s guess at this point.

Bottom line (and many on this forum don’t want to hear this) is the minute Yamaha quit offering their own 2 stroke sleds it was over. It might have taken 20 years, but their market share just continued to erode because lightweight off trail is where it is now. The joint venture with Cat bought them about ten more years because they would have folded the snowmobile division 10 years ago if the Arctic Cat agreement had never happened. They tried with the Deltabox, Deltabox II, and FX platforms, but they just didn’t work out. Deltabox sleds are great trail cruisers, but that market is a fraction of what it used to be. The FX sleds just never worked out for the markets they intended them for and when they didn’t that was it. They rode the ProCross to the end.
Yup the one and only lol. I kind of wondered if it was jarret replying. Hard to know for sure but it did seem to be someone with a little bit more knowledge. I’m sure he’s as let down as everyone else but most likely knew the writing was on the wall too. He’s tried to keep excitement up with his vlogs but there’s only so much to report on. Thinking back there’s been little signs of it coming like there not renewing contracts with fxr for clothing. 24 is their last year according to my dealer.

Too bad,its disappointing.Still have my Jolene,a16 Viper mtx 141with 14000 and have no plan to get rid of her.Its been a great sled to me.

Back