• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

it happened to me

I am going to sit back and watch this thread. Everyone knows what I went though last season lets see what 09 brings.

Count me in too.

I hit something in a turn going less than 10 mph on a designated trail covered with 18" of fresh powder. The impact didn't upset the sled or even slow it down. I only felt a tug on the handle bars and didn't think anything of it until I saw the ski tip a minute later. Then I said some bad words.

I haven't disassembled anything yet but I can see that the spindle on the opposite side is askew, but not bent.

This ruined a perfectly good ride too. Northern Minnesota got hammered with snow Saturday and Sunday.

Attachments

• Dec21-2008.jpg
    Dec21-2008.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 103
  • BentSpindle.jpg
    BentSpindle.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 115
I had two apex's

I had a Apex GT and a LTX. Both were tuff as tanks. I hit a washout at 107 MPH(LTX) and I almost flew over the handlebars still holding on. When I came down I hurt both legs. I waited for 15 minutes before I could ride again. I was hurt bad for a couple weeks. I couldn't barely walk. With the 06 GT I went off a corner straight in. Took a few trees out about 4-5 inches thick. They broke off right at the ground level. I have a new XTX I'm hoping to take out tomorrow for the first time. I like to drive fast. I hit stuff hard bottom out suspensions regularly. The Apex was not a good bump taker. It would kick up like a bucking bronco when the suspension bottomed. I notice the XTX is set up with the preload at 80%. I don't like that! I think Yamaha deserves a round of applause for making such a good engine then deserves a foot in the arse for not using better drivers and stuffing cheap shocks underneath. My Olins were working at about 25% which would make them last for a long time. These GYTR's will be dead in one season.

Attachments

• Nov 11-07 030.jpg
    Nov 11-07 030.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Nov 11-07 008.jpg
    Nov 11-07 008.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 88
I just went through a wood fence and hit a tree. My a-arms are bent back into the plastic, but the funny thing is the sub-frame doesn't look bad. I will be replacing it no matter what now though.

Anyone know how much a '09 update will run me?

arteeex said:
Count me in too.

I hit something in a turn going less than 10 mph on a designated trail covered with 18" of fresh powder. The impact didn't upset the sled or even slow it down. I only felt a tug on the handle bars and didn't think anything of it until I saw the ski tip a minute later. Then I said some bad words.

I haven't disassembled anything yet but I can see that the spindle on the opposite side is askew, but not bent.

This ruined a perfectly good ride too. Northern Minnesota got hammered with snow Saturday and Sunday.

Your right handguard looks tweaked too, better get that checked out :pics:

Nikolai said:
The Nytro may have it's issues, but the XP is far from perfect. They're still burning belts, defective handwarmers, bent nuns, defective gauges, ect. ect. I've beat the piss out of my Nytro and haven't had any issues but if I did switch sleds it would be to get an Assault or M series. Polaris and AC both seem to have really good sleds(lightweight AND strong)

hopefully its fixed now, but the XP's were having major problems last year. Couple of guys at work who own brand new polaris's have gotten stranded by them, and the F1000 was the biggest hunk as far as machine I've seen in a while. Yammy's are no exception. Everyone has problems, every one has issues. The lighter, and faster, and smaller they try to make sleds, the more they open them up to issues, as far as I can tell. I loved the E-Tec when I rode it, had I not already owned my Nytro, i'd have bought one. That being said, my friend owns a skidoo dealership (where I rode the E-tec), and hes seen no end of problems with the XP's. They are all great when they run right, and all suck when they have problems. Oh, and add me to the list, bent my sub frame this weekend. One shock is a half inch back of the other now. Still handles properly, but its bent. I had no problems all of 08, even when it hit a metal post. Seems they just decide to go when they decide to go.

The handguard got tweaked well before I bent the front end. I was stepping from one board to the other leaning into the deep stuff. On one attempt both feet slipped off because the board was completely loaded with show. Somehow I went over the bars and landed in front of the sled. One ski went up between my jacket and backpack and I was pushed under 30" of snow. It wasn't easy getting myself unburied and disconnected from the ski. Fortunately I hit the kill switch on my way over. I'll probably install the tether switch I bought when I put the front end back together.

The handguard is fine.

r u gonna put the front end in urself or have the dealership do it?? it dont look to complicated and i did work on cars for 3 years im just nervous of putting someithgn together wrrong

I repeat some previous comments made on this trail, I did alot of reading and research before switching from skidoo to Yamaha & I didn't switch for any quality problems. I switched for the motor & the supposed durability of this brand. I too am hoping that this is not the norm & sorry to hear the guy's who have had this challenge on the 09's. This sled needs some tuning on the handling side of things but everything else rocks so far. My fingers are crossed that this bending challenge does not become reality for all!

Just an FYI, I have bend front ends on Apexs at low speeds too. It all depends on how you hit something as on how the front end will react to the collision. I do not agree that these sleds are not build tough enough, I have logged many hours and have yet to bend any front end parts, granted I dont jump my sled over cars and I dont go pounding thru wash outs or bolders or even driver over train tracks like they dont exist.

Well to those so gung ho to go buy a Polaris, let me tell you that you won't be without your problems there either! I have run Polaris all of my riding years(this is my first other brand) and I finally decided to try something else. My main reason is I love the 4 stroke engine and nobody does this better than Yamaha! Poo can't seem to build an 800 that doesn't eat up cranks or continually swallow exhaust valves, that's why they only had a 700 for a couple of years and those were definitely hit or miss on the performance scale! Continuous ECU reflash updates were issued to help with the dreaded stumble @ mid range, mostly to no avail! There's a big thread on HCS about how the new 800 has this stumble now too!! We all remember the "ConFusion" days!! Just about that whole chassis was scrapped and redesigned and they threw both motors out and started over! I could go on but my point here was to say that no manu is perfect and that no matter what you run you are gonna have issues!! Just about all consumers are screaming for reduced weight, reduced weight!! I say forget so much about saving weight and build a machine! That XP is very light but it's like riding on a ball of tin foil!! How many years you think something like that is really gonna stay together!? Yamaha has built a very nice machine in the Nytro and this whole issue is prolly due to them trying to save weight on the machine!! So to all the people that want a feather weight machine, that goes for all brands, well here you have them!! I realize the Nytro is not that light compared to the XP but it is pound for pound with my brothers 09 800 Dragon Switchback and thus I feel quite light for a 4 stroker!! You are definitely going to sacrifice something somewhere in the process of weight shaving!

Good points Blue 4's rule. I rode Polaris's until the confusion came along. I like your point about it the same weight as the polaris switchback but it's a 4 stroke. A two stroke is like a bag of chips. After a couple years all you have left is an empty bag.

I hit a rock dead centre in the middle of the subframe while out bustin' drifts on my very first ride on my new XTX. I hit the rock doing probably 20 mph, stopped the sled dead in it's tracks and launched me about 20 feet in front of the sled. Bent the bars forward almost down to the hood, destroyed the front bumper and tore the crap out of the plastic panel behind the bumper. Al this with 3 miles on the sled! :o|

Pulled all the body panels off to check the subframe and guess what? NO DAMAGE! If that had been my old Rev I would be replacing a nun. Here I am thinking I have bought a sled that is solid as a tank and then I read this thread..... :dunno:

i too thought i had a soild 08 ,hit many things in the snow last year alot harder than this and every time i checked it was fine ,now a year later i see just what little it takes to bend these things,really thinking about getting a different sled,i don't need to ride around with my #*$&@ cheeks clinched worrying about every little bump in the trail.

Back