• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

it happened to me

I agree with a couple of points made here, one being that it depends on how you hit something. It seems that if you clip something with the side of your ski while turning, your gonna tweek the front end and I agree with Blue 4's comments. Every manu is going to have its defects but its pretty hard to ride with great confidence knowing that if you clip something the wrong way at a low speed, its going to cost you a sub frame each time. If Yami could resolve this issue the sled would by amazing. It doesn't really bother me that things like hand warmers or swapping skis and suspension tuning is required, I actually enjoy the challenge of getting the machine to perform well (after all what info would we share with each other on this site) but when get major components like the frame not holding up, that's a different story. Actually I even enjoyed swapping that in the garage, its the $1000 bucks that didn't feel good. I just hope the 09 frames are a lot better and are not defected like the 08s so we can go out there and have a blast this winter cause it looks like its going to be a good season.

Oh and Arnold08, the subframe swap is not difficult at all. It took me half a day to complete it. It was a good Saturday morning job. If you need any help with it PM me and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Weak BRP subframes.

Your so right about BRP's subframes. My friend has a Mach Z and we went over some rail lines that were level with the snow. I hit them at 90 degrees and never felt anything. My buddy hits them at 45 degrees and rips the upper and lower control arm half off. I looked at where they connected into the subframe and it was only stamped aluminum. I couldn't believe it. I looked at the Nitro's and they are steel bar where the connection is. Way stronger than the old rev. I cannot comment on BRP XP.

Its funny that all thes negative comments are popping up about the XP's because I just got word that my buddy who just purchased a brand new 09 XP Adrenaline 800, took his sled out yesterday for the first time and blew his motor after just barely 100km. He said he was stuck on the side of the trail and a Nytro blew right past him. The irony of it is that he loves the Nytro and was set on buying it (he always trash talked BRP) but because he got a really good deal he went with the XP. No word of a lie. Sucks for him. Hope it doesn't take long to fix or he's going to miss out on some good riding.

BRP problems

My friend came up on the weekend to help me drill my track for 114 stud pattern up the center. He is the head BRP mechanic in our area. He had his Skidoo hoodie on.. We were cracking jokes all afternoon. He was impressed with the Nytro XTX just from looking it over. When I told him it was a 1049cc 4 stroke he was even more impressed. He does not drive sleds as he's too busy. LoL He told me he gets $100 bonus for evey sled he does during overtime which in the winter he gets plenty of. I know the guy who owns the BRP store in our area. He is a good guy and I've sledded with him before. I think he has the best service of the 4 in our area. Trevor the Mechanic does not get weekends off too much in the winter and I've heard him say I'm not going in tomorrow. The guy I bet works 65 hours a week from now till April. You know the season is short. Even here in Canada. Were not eskimo until you get another 1000 miles north. Most Canadians live within 150 miles of the US border. I'm sure the Yamaha guys are pretty busy as well changing worn Hyfax's and the oil in Apex's. LoL

nytro

Ive been riding sleds for 20 years now and the kind of damge being reported here for these low speed accidents with hard objects under the snow is very consistent with repairs I have seen over the years. Prior to the A-arm sleds. you had the trailing arm designs and those Ski-doo's for example had trailing arms that wouldnt bend when hitting a frozen log or rock and as result the more expenseive frame would take the bulk of the hit.

For people worried about their sleds holding up to hard riding, I wouldnt sweat it all as theyre designed to handle this abuse, they're not designed to take sharp hits from stationary objects under the snow. This will never change.

Mark

I for one would be a lot happier if it was the a-arm that bent and saved the subframe. My buddy who owns a Rev told me their were guys drilling holes in the a-arms of the Rev so they would bend before the frame (flying nun).

It has to be in how you hit something. The rev is bulletproof unless taking a hit from the ski at an angle, then it folds the nun. I believe the Nytro is the same way. I honestly believe the Nytro is the strongest consumer chassis you can buy right now. I have jumped more than 100 ft. and crashed hard and my sled has always come out fine and asking for more. I snagged a rock with my ski going about 10 mph and bent the lower a-arm back. Funny how huge jumps and nasty crashes don't do anything but a rock at low speed does.

If you think the Nytro is fragile, take the heavy azz motor, put it in an XP or RMK and lets see how the chassis holds up.

I've been thinking about this last night and I decided to ride my nytro and enjoy the sob!! Can't let "what may happen" ruin my winter. If something breaks, I'll deal with it.

Winter is short boys. Let have some fun and deal with this problem when/if it happens.

Thanks for the heads up. Much appeciated!

RR

RowdyRoddy said:
I've been thinking about this last night and I decided to ride my nytro and enjoy the sob!! Can't let "what may happen" ruin my winter. If something breaks, I'll deal with it.

Winter is short boys. Let have some fun and deal with this problem when/if it happens.

RR

Good Idea! Ride it like you stole it, deal with the damage when it happens! Winter is too short to worry about something that 'might' happen. :yam:

RowdyRoddy said:

RR

Good reply. I rode my bent subframe for 2 days after it bent, 300+ Km. The handling was a off a little but I didn't let it ruin the trip, just backed off a notch. My spring was just barely rubbing the a-arm after.

I switched from an 07 doo with the x package and i beat the crap out of it for 800 miles and a few nuns also :die but they were hard hits on stumps my own careless luck if you call it that. Anything will bend if hit in the right place thats how cars are designed to protect the occupants. anyway i am going off track sorry! After swapping the doo for my dream fx nytro which cost a lot more than the doo i might remind folks i was overjoyed with no 2 stroke smell love the motor to bits but there is also a few things which bug the hell out of me as follows

No so handwarmers.....in a nutshell they suck and a fix not available under warranty yet! not good......Ok so wear thicker gloves to compensate kid myself thats fine.

Darting the first time i let the throttle go on a straightaway doing around 50 i almost shat a brick nearly swapping ends like a tank slapper on a motorcycle #$%&* so after letting the suspension bed in for a while a playing with the suspenders i actually liked the way in which it handled and it actually got better as more miles piled on, MMmmmm rea lots of posts about failing ball joints decide to check cannot feel any play so hoist it up omg every single joint on the front is toast but it handled better lol

So here we are again new season all new front end (but original equipment i expect it to fail rather quick and still cold hands i like my yam but it does make you wonder about the many short comings. My dealer fobs me off with stories about the handwarmers just got to deal with it i suppose.

I had about 2500 miles on my Nytro before I hit something in just the right way to bend a spindle and the sub-frame. I don't expect to be able to knock down trees with the front end, but the ease at which these components failed is disconcerting. I barely felt the impact that bent up my sled. It seemed so trivial that I didn’t even stop at the time. The lack of feedback for the impact causing this damage may be due the mass of the Nytro, but given the seeming robustness the system has for head-on loads it doesn’t align with our expectations when the front end is wrecked at low speeds.

The damage to my sled happened because I hit something. This didn’t happen when the sled was on the trailer on in my garage. I think most people would find it easier to accept the damage we’re seeing if the impact that caused it tossed them over the bars and stood the sled on end. I could understand giving up a spindle in my case, but losing the sub-frame too is not high on my list of favorite things. If dispersing energy before it reaches the castings is actually the design intent of the sub-frame then how about charging something like $200 for this sacrificial element? That would help take a lot of the sting out the repair.

I’ve got to go order some parts now – and return the gifts I bought for the orphanage this Christmas to pay for them.

just got back from the dealer and the whole thing was fixed by YAMAHA,i spoke with customer service and they said they will take care of it ,this has renewed my faith in yamaha, i thought for sure i was gonna get the company line about impacts,but in the end they stood behind their product , thank you yamaha

WTF I talked to them and was so nice and they said if it was an impact Bend that they would not fix it......... This is rediculous im goin to call them back because why should it cost me money cuz they cant get theere crap together and buil a strong sled................ Sorry just venting

Back