• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Its been awile

FAMILYMAN

Lifetime Member
Its been awhile since I have been on ty. Maxdlx "Paul" called me up years ago (just a week after Tom started ty) telling me to check out this site. Back then we were both on two stokes, both spending hours reading and sharing.

Well 4 years ago I was diagnose with a brain stem caveranoma (being told it will take my life in 15 years). The day came after 3 years, it blead. Leaving me with blurry vison, my balance off because my right eye wouldnt follow my left. and numbness in my left hand.

I went to mayo and doctor #3 said once again they couldn't do surgery without killing me. This is when god took control. After my Monday visit doctor #3 and my nuer surg were discussing my case in the hall and one of the topp brain surg happen to be in the hall and requested my case on his desk by morning. After review he scheduled a mri, surgery, other assistance and requested me back to mayo the next day.

Okay, shorting this up. I agreed with his low risks surgey of going in behind my right ear and did the 14 hour brain stem surgery. It took a lot of hard work..2 months before walking again on my own, 4 months in rehab and here I am.

I have my left side tingly, I explain it best by its like stepping on your foot when its sleeping and putting a cold foot into a hot bath at he same time. I can hear from my right hear even tho they cut it off and put it back on. My right face feels like novicane. I don't have much control keeping my left hand still. My right eye will get blood shot and fog over quickly in the cold.

But I am alive, My Dr. stopped the bleeding and I have not let it stop me from doing what I want. (snowmobiled at 6 months, cliff jumped, beach and water volleyball in Mexico at 8 months, white water rafted and zipped lined the longest zip line in north america at 11 months. Surgery August 2012.

Brent

Brent:

Your story is inspirational to say the least. A friend of mine (known him since grade school) recently fell off a ladder while hanging Christmas lights on his house. He broke bones around his left eye and cut his temporal artery in the process ... lost a lot of blood and suffered a TBI. He is currently in the ICU and they are sedating him to allow him to rest and heal. Prognosis is unknown, but there have been some signs that he will make a good recovery. I visited him just yesterday, and although he was not able to speak to me, I did pick up on what his doctors were saying about their plans for his care and notice some similarities between what they are saying about my friend and what you've been through. Most importantly, I'm sooo impressed with your outlook on life, with what you've done since being diagnosed, and must tell you that it gives me great hope for my friend. It's things like this that make you realize what's truly important. Thank you for sharing your story. Welcome back to TY ... Keep on keepin' on, and God Bless!

Dave.

Certainly wish you well with your battle. Sounds like you are keeping a positive attitude and that definitely goes a long way!

just goes to prove, enjoy what you do every day and have fun damnit. hope to see you out on the trail again.

Thanks for the wishes. It really takes a positive attitude. Good friends and especially a loving family.

Forgot to mention, finished by running out the last 2.5 miles of bix7, 7 mile run,walk at 1 yr in the quad cities

I think your handle says it all "FAMILYMAN". It's a badass dude that stands up to something that bad and says no is not the answer. Hat's off to you and you surgeon and rehab team. It would be an honor to ride with you at an upcoming TY event. May God bless you in the many healthy years that follow.

Wow its people like you that really bring me back to reality and thankful for everyday. What a inspiration! I really hope you keep it up and I would be proud to ride with you someday.

My apex was to heavy last year to get off trail. Our phaser is fun, but not all day. I just have this problem getting the urge to boondock still. So best way to fix that problem.....2014 viper xtx ;)!

Picking up from port next week LaLaLa now need to tell my most beautiful, loving, supportive wife in the wold #$%&*

Thanks for all the positive comments, looking forward to be back on the trail.

Brent

First photo January 2013

Second on August 2012

Ya, gods got my back!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 74
Family man thanks for the update of your doing so great. I will share with the rest of the 'Rehab team' on the 3MB Rehab unit, they will be thrilled.
We feel so blessed to hear one of our pts is doing so well and to hear you are returning to your active life.

Yamadoo

Back