• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Jack Shaft Bearings

Smokey

Expert
Probably a stupid question but when should these bearings be replaced...I assume there is no easy way to tell when they or going bad...I have 2700 miles on my 03 RX1...Should I be looking at replacing them or will they last another season :?: :?: :?:

That's not a stupid question. I had the bearing next to the driven clutch and the bearing next to the speedo pick up changed under warranty. They were both rough with 2100 miles. You can't tell they are bad until you take track out and the chain case.

smokey

It would'nt hurt to take the cover off of the bearing under the driven and check them. I've seen them go bad and chew a big hole in the tunnel when the guy kept driving in it. :twisted: If its not bad It woul'nt hurt to carefully pull the seal cover and look for gunk flush it wd or penetrating oil and relube it w/smb grease.

I have never had a drive bearing go bad and thats with 7000 to 10000 miles on, but I have had the Jack shaft bearing go and that was only once in 33 years. ( all Yamaha's)

If I change my track and have everything apart, I'll change the bearings at the same time if I logged on a few miles. Not a big expense if you go aftermarket. Don't buy yamaha bearings! Save your money and get quality aftermarket.

Back