• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Jackshaft removal problems

Monsey

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper LTX DX
I was leaking chaincase oil at the end of last season, so I figured I'd take a look... turns out it was leaking at the jackshaft on the chaincase side.. bad seal i guess.
Anyway, while draining, the oil was milky, I took off the drive bearing and it was shot, and continued pulling everything apart to get to the jackshaft that needs to be removed.
Here's the problem, I have everything pulled apart, its time to yank out the jackshaft, however the reverse gear casing is hitting the exhaust ports on the engine.
Am I missing something? Does the reverse gear case have to come apart to remove the shaft? The repair manual doesnt indicate this.. it just says to remove the reverse gear motor, slide back the exhaust and the remove the shaft..

Any tips?

Are you sure its leaking from jackshaft and not driveshaft? It is almost impossible to have moisture enter into chaincase through jackshaft unless its been swamped?

i'd bet it maybe was the oil tube & grommet that goes from the chaincase to the reverse housing.
this was my problem & few others also.
do a search on it. i know that there is a few thread with pics.
i'll try & find it also.

looked in the book & it looks like it should slide out. slide the exh. back, slide the shaft assembly left, & pull out on angle. only thing maybe is to slide the bearing on the leftside onto the shaft (right)so you can tip it out more on an angle.

I will take a look at the tube tomorrow night.. thanks.

End result was that I had to break apart the reverse case and pull the two sides out separately...

The book does say its just a slide to the side, angle up and pull it out.. however I even called over a buddy just to make sure I wasnt missing anything.

Here is a picture, hard to tell, but the front section, specifically where the gear motor bolts holes are, will hit the exhaust ports when you slide it left.. and its not just 1/4" out, its a good inch.

Attachments

• IMG00008-20101111-1949.jpg
    IMG00008-20101111-1949.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 101
man thats a drag. hopefully you get it fixed & sealed up soon.
snow is flying.

best of luck monsey.

Has anyone ever figured out how to remove this without splitting the case?

Is it a big job to split it? I have this image in my mind of a million tiny pieces falling out.

I did it last season to replace the entire reverse gear case and didn't have to split it. Disconnected and moved the exhaust pipe back, removed the two exhaust pipes from the engine, loosen the lock screws on the clutch side bearing to allow it to slide down the shaft towards the gear case. It was a bit seized on the shaft and required some whacks of a rubber mallet. Then was able to do the move to one side and then angle it out the other side.

Edit: I think I also remember prying on the engine to allow the case to clear it. I think I also loosened or even removed some of the engine mount bolts.

removal

its really not that hard to split the case and no parts fall out. your biggest concern is if gasket sticks to both sides, then you either replace gasket or try finess it in with rvt silicone, i had to do the rvt way and havent had any problems with leaks.

it's like a Chinese (or Japanese in this case) puzzle to figure out I guess. It did take a while though.

There was a bulletin written in SnoTech magazine a couple of years ago that on the 07 Phazers with reverse there was an alignment problem between the chain case and the transmission on some models. When this occured during assembly it could cause all kinds of problems. I burnt out a transmission on my Phazer and couldn't figure out the cause. My dealer was of no help. I spent $750.00 in parts & fixed it myself. Haven't had anymore problems. The article in SnoTech didn't come out till the following year. The article said for anyone owning this model to check their alignment, but having had everything apart myself all I will say is you cannot see an alignment problem until it is too late. I personally believe this should have been recalled & looked after by Yamaha, especially when they told SnoTech that this problem could excist.

Back