• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Kodiac breaks

LoneViper

Pro
I've ran a search on the subject and found nothing.

So my Kodiac is an 03 with disc brakes on three wheels my problem is my hearing is exceptional and the squeek in the rear disc is driving me nuts. I know it is probably only a small rock or dirt but what can I do about it?

Has anyone delt with this?
Thanks in advance.

You would have to take it apart to remove the foreign object. To prevent it, you would have to fab up some kind of cover for it. Just make sure to leave some place for air to circulate for cooling purpose's.

I have the same thing with mine, I've tried loosening the caliper and using brake clean and finally found that I just have to lightly ride the brake for a bit and the squeak goes away for a good long time.

I suspect it's grit or small pebbles that get in there and make the noise and lightly riding the brake must burn or smooth them out.

I used to think that was the most irritating thing about my fleet under my Raptor developed the infamous Raptor suspension squeak. Doesn't really hurt anything but it's not near as easy to cure.

It's great having the family ride together but they all seem to disappear when it comes time to pull maintenance. :mad:

Hey, I have a freind that does that when it comes time to work on HIS Polaris. I just fix it so I don't have to deal with him breaking down on the trail. :o|

Thanks guys, I do ride the brake some and it does go away but it always seems to come back.

I wonder it there is an after market pad maybe something non metallic?

That is the infamous Yammasqueek. My wifes 05 Kodiak had done that from the first day when she rode it from the shop to our house on the pavement. By ridding the rear break it will go away for a while but one thing is for sure, it will return.

fix for kodiak brake noise

hi everyone,

my friend's kodiak (05 I think) did the same thing. the dealer said there was nothing that could be done. the next time he brought it in, the yamaha rep was in the shop and took care of it. This is in Northern Ontario. I'm not sure what the fix was, but your dealer or Yamaha rep should know about it.

my wife kod did this also. I changed the brake pads. Yamaha uses a metalic pad So I ordered non metalic pads, so far no more noise

Pads may be glazed. Try sanding the shine off the pads and bevel the edges a little. Works most of the time.

Back