• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Law for modified exhaust in Canada

gpxsrx

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
way to many 2 strokes
No person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle unless it is equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation and no person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle which has a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon the motorized snow vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 18 (1).

(2) No person shall drive or permit to be driven any motorized snow vehicle upon which any component or device, which was required under the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) at the time that the motorized snow vehicle was manufactured or imported into Canada, has been removed, modified or rendered inoperative. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 18 (2).

Set fine:
Improper muffler
Section 18(2) MSVA
$85.00 plus Victim fine surcharge

I have a 2015 Sr Viper with a 190 Hurricane turbo Hindle muffler and I trail ride. So police stopped us at a check point every think was fine except he said who is running a modified exhaust. Had me start my sled back up. Then said rev your sled up . The rider that was with me was parked 2 feet in front of me. Cop said I’m not Revving my sled enough. I shut it off. I said give me the ticket $110 bucks. I told him it’s a aftermarket turbo, he then said it is not OEM exhaust.
Ok I get that!!!!
Then if you buy a Sr viper and get Yamaha MPI turbo is that not the same? Modified exhaust?
To me the government is just putting small businesses out of business in Canada.

No person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle unless it is equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation and no person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle which has a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon the motorized snow vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 18 (1).

(2) No person shall drive or permit to be driven any motorized snow vehicle upon which any component or device, which was required under the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) at the time that the motorized snow vehicle was manufactured or imported into Canada, has been removed, modified or rendered inoperative. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 18 (2).

Set fine:
Improper muffler
Section 18(2) MSVA
$85.00 plus Victim fine surcharge

I have a 2015 Sr Viper with a 190 Hurricane turbo Hindle muffler and I trail ride. So police stopped us at a check point every think was fine except he said who is running a modified exhaust. Had me start my sled back up. Then said rev your sled up . The rider that was with me was parked 2 feet in front of me. Cop said I’m not Revving my sled enough. I shut it off. I said give me the ticket $110 bucks. I told him it’s a aftermarket turbo, he then said it is not OEM exhaust.
Ok I get that!!!!
Then if you buy a Sr viper and get Yamaha MPI turbo is that not the same? Modified exhaust?
To me the government is just putting small businesses out of business in Canada.

I understand your need to have after-market products on your sled, I have a whole bunch on my 14 RTX. I have a pipe sitting in my garage that allows my sled to run faster and more efficiently, maximizing the performance of the turbo installed. Unfortunately that increase provided by the pipe (mountain exhaust) comes at the cost of an increase in sound pressure. That sound is what drives the land owners and local residents crazy. Without the land owners and local populous cooperation the trail systems can not exist. The wardens in the state of Maine when stopped, have never given me any trouble with the current exhaust I am running. I run the same setup in Canada without any issue. When the trail systems shut down in 2020 for some of us in the US it was a stark reminder how easy it would be to lose the use of land and trails we all enjoy so much. There are a lot of ways to get the benefits and performance of a loud muffler without the noise. I wish you luck, enjoy the ride.

Pretty sure aftermarket exhausts are governed by provincial legislation and not federal. I know aftermarket exhausts in Ontario are a no-no but here in Newfoundland they are ok, although municipalities can have their own by-laws against them.

I understand your need to have after-market products on your sled, I have a whole bunch on my 14 RTX. I have a pipe sitting in my garage that allows my sled to run faster and more efficiently, maximizing the performance of the turbo installed. Unfortunately that increase provided by the pipe (mountain exhaust) comes at the cost of an increase in sound pressure. That sound is what drives the land owners and local residents crazy. Without the land owners and local populous cooperation the trail systems can not exist. The wardens in the state of Maine when stopped, have never given me any trouble with the current exhaust I am running. I run the same setup in Canada without any issue. When the trail systems shut down in 2020 for some of us in the US it was a stark reminder how easy it would be to lose the use of land and trails we all enjoy so much. There are a lot of ways to get the benefits and performance of a loud muffler without the noise. I wish you luck, enjoy the ride.
I do have a quite Hurricane muffler I’m going to install just have to send PC5 to Dave@ Hurricane to change the mapping.

i was charged with tis offence Bracebridge. Took to court and one
As section 18.2 states it refers to the motor vehicle saftey act. Like 400 pages. Nothing in there says you can replace exhaust. I have an excell exjaust on my apex

Printed all the paper work off for prosecutor and judge. They took my word that in that 400 pages there was nothing about replacing exhaust as there wasn't.

I carry that ticket with me always and 7 years later have not had the opportunity to challenged the police or trail wardens again

i was charged with tis offence Bracebridge. Took to court and one
As section 18.2 states it refers to the motor vehicle saftey act. Like 400 pages. Nothing in there says you can replace exhaust. I have an excell exjaust on my apex

Printed all the paper work off for prosecutor and judge. They took my word that in that 400 pages there was nothing about replacing exhaust as there wasn't.

I carry that ticket with me always and 7 years later have not had the opportunity to challenged the police or trail wardens again

I'm sure it is not simply the replacement of an exhaust that is causing an issue of concern for Canadian and US law enforcement. If I had to guess I might say it is the higher sound pressure resonating from the replacement, the same rules apply for side by sides and quads. The trails we all love to ride and enjoy seasonally are only available with state and local land-owner discretion. It is a privilege we all share. Be safe, enjoy the ride.

A recent article from FCMQ Canada; https://fcmq.qc.ca/en/news/presse-release1/

And complaints and trail closures are mostly as a result of the noise. Most famously was the closure of the Le petit train du nord trail in QC as more and more residents complained about the noise. We have an old railway bed where I ride that is a shared use trail that also goes through a town. It almost got shut down to sleds because of noise complaints from nearby residents. The ones that complain are the ones that move from the city to the so-called tranquility of the country. Luckily there weren't that many but it still wound up having the speed limit reduced and a curfew on that part of the trail.

The question is why make this noise? All it really accomplishes is p*** off people and make you deaf younger. Is it really worth the 1 or 2 HP you gain from it? You probably wouldn't even feel it. I suffer from tinnitus from internal sled noises (track howl and engine drone) and trust me, it's not pleasant. I haven't had a "silent" moment in 4 years.

Back