• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

exhaust options and the effect on tunes

maybe I am a numb-#*$&@ or am just looking in the wrong spot but is there a Hurricane trail performance muffler and a trail muffler or are they the same?

1nc 2000 you run the trail performance muffler
yamamarc--your buddies run the stock replica these are different mufflers????

Sorry to confuse you by adding the word performance to the muffler name.
This is the muffler I am running.

https://www.hurricaneperformance.ca...performance-products/hurricane-trail-muffler/

Thanks. If you say muffler is too loud then I will cross it off my list.
Why do you think that muffler gets so hot?
I would think the stock muffler would get hotter and hotter the more boost you try to run.

Thanks. If you say muffler is too loud then I will cross it off my list.
Why do you think that muffler gets so hot?
I would think the stock muffler would get hotter and hotter the more boost you try to run.

Its probably one of the quietest mufflers out there other than stock, but has a rumble to it.
Riding all day it wears on me from the noise.
But I still run it because I like the performance it gives.

I have run the trail performance muffler for the last three seasons. It's not quiet.
Also the insulation between the heat shield and the muffler has slid down so its sticking out a couple inches below the muffler body.
My right foot gets so hot I have to pull over and put my boot in the snow to cool it off.

Looking to add the header this summer.
Has anyone tried putting a heat gun to the tank to give more room for header?

Hey have you removed the cover on your trail muffler and pulled back the insulation to check for cracks? You saying the muffler is loud and having your boot get hot doesn't sound right??
If you decide to check it install the oem cover from your stock muffler it will hold the insulation better since the oem shield have bends on the top and bottom of it!!

Hey have you removed the cover on your trail muffler and pulled back the insulation to check for cracks? You saying the muffler is loud and having your boot get hot doesn't sound right??
If you decide to check it install the oem cover from your stock muffler it will hold the insulation better since the oem shield have bends on the top and bottom of it!!

This summer when I replace the track I'll remove the cover from the muffler and check it out. Muffler has about six thousand miles on it.

I ran TD Header with Max Spool 16 and stock muffler this past season, 1850 miles and ran excellent. bottom end feels about the same as stock manifold on Max 16 but above 6k rpm the header accelerates much harder than stock exhaust. TD says close to 10HP with stock muffler but feels much more. Had to add 2 grams to my Heavy Hitters so it is making noticeable power over the stock exhaust.

I found the TD Super Quiet slightly too loud for my liking. I have run my own version of a stock modified exhaust(with original size inlet and outlet) and really like it. I have not run the stock modified TD muffler, but I think it would most likely be a good choice. I understand Hurricane has this choice also.

Been thinking about upgrades this summer. I run a stock muffler tune 225/240/270. I have been thinking about doing a header or muffler or both and have some questions. not really looking for more top speed, but maybe some more throttle response and "quickness"

1. who has run a header, tune and stock muffler? does the header make a big difference with the stock muffler?

2. has anyone had a problem with any of the headers? cracking ? heat? fitment?

3. between the muffler or the header which gives the biggest gain?

4.who runs the header and muffler? results over other combos?

5. when does the stock muffler become the limiting factor in performance upgrades?

6. here is the biggest factor---NOISE . here in Vermont loud exhaust is a $330 fine(?) I plan on more rides in Quebec this coming year and am pretty sure they frown on loud exhaust. also I do not want to listen to a loud exhaust all day--too old for that. One of the best things I love about my sled is the quiet. I can ride all day without earplugs and not have ringing ears at the end of the day. I can take a different tone but wont put up with a drone or a just plain obnoxious noise. I know sound can be objective but I really want something that is on the quiet side.
Also, wasn't there a member here who was making exhaust tip slugs to fool wardens who where measuring outlet size?
I know the old adage, there cannot be power without noise, but there has to be a compromise

anyway, anyone who has experience with any of these tune/exhaust combos please comment on the differences between the packages.
Does not make much sense running header into stock muffler, muffler should be your first mod. You will build way to much heat trying to run header and high boost into a restrictive muffler. The TD header fits really good I have no experience with the Hurricane header. I don’t believe TD has come out with a header tune so you must turn up fuel pressure, the header does flow well and makes more power at lower boost compared to stock manifold. But this turbo maxes out the header just gets you there at lower boost. Also you won’t see much over 18lbs boost with the header unless lock waist-gate, it seems the extra flow of the header is overcoming the waistgate spring pressure at lower boost. So 17lbs on the header is likely = to 20lbs boost without header. Where the header will really shine is with a modded or bigger turbo. Overall the header not likely worth it on a trail sled even more so if you need to or want to stay quiet.

Does not make much sense running header into stock muffler, muffler should be your first mod. You will build way to much heat trying to run header and high boost into a restrictive muffler. The TD header fits really good I have no experience with the Hurricane header. I don’t believe TD has come out with a header tune so you must turn up fuel pressure, the header does flow well and makes more power at lower boost compared to stock manifold. But this turbo maxes out the header just gets you there at lower boost. Also you won’t see much over 18lbs boost with the header unless lock waist-gate, it seems the extra flow of the header is overcoming the waistgate spring pressure at lower boost. So 17lbs on the header is likely = to 20lbs boost without header. Where the header will really shine is with a modded or bigger turbo. Overall the header not likely worth it on a trail sled even more so if you need to or want to stay quiet.
Actually, TD has stated that the header works well even with a stock exhaust.

Does not make much sense running header into stock muffler, muffler should be your first mod. You will build way to much heat trying to run header and high boost into a restrictive muffler
This makes sense. This is why I was wondering when the stock muffler becomes the limiting factor. It does seem though the companies are selling the headers for use with the stock muffler.
Do TD or Hurricane have a modified stock muffler option?
Too much noise/drone is NOT an option. I will not go that route again.

This makes sense. This is why I was wondering when the stock muffler becomes the limiting factor. It does seem though the companies are selling the headers for use with the stock muffler.
I dont know about hurricane but TD has a stock modified muffler but I have read there is some drone to it at certain speeds, this is all subjective of course as everyone has different tolerance levels. I agree the muffler should be first and no question the header/ muffler together would be best but like you I didnt want any noise or drone. Im certain the header packs a bigger punch combined with a high flow muffler vs the stock but if theres a little something to be had with header/stock muffler Ill be okay with that. Probably not the most cost effective route but its quiet.

I dont know about hurricane but TD has a stock modified muffler but I have read there is some drone to it at certain speeds, this is all subjective of course as everyone has different tolerance levels. I agree the muffler should be first and no question the header/ muffler together would be best but like you I didnt want any noise or drone. Im certain the header packs a bigger punch combined with a high flow muffler vs the stock but if theres a little something to be had with header/stock muffler Ill be okay with that. Probably not the most cost effective route but its quiet.
This is what i felt, i did not want any more noise than stock so i started with the stock muffler tune, TD Max Spool16 when my sled had about 300 miles and it ran good but with these damn things the power is addicting so i was looking for another bump and keeping quiet so i took the $800 gamble and tried the TD header, it does create a little more heat but i did some venting and now move a lot of air through the engine compartment which took care of the heat. it may not be the very best bang for the buck but over the years i have spent a lot more on other things that gave me no more performance at the cost of dependability. i found nothing negative running the header with the stock muffler, still quiet, has more punch mid to top end only negative is my wallet is 800 dollars lighter.

I am done with loud mufflers trail riding. The TD stock muffler mod is very acceptable I ran it all winter and very happy with it. A bit more performance and not loud or drone at all.

Back