• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

exhaust options and the effect on tunes

STAIN

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 SIDEWINDER LTX GT
Been thinking about upgrades this summer. I run a stock muffler tune 225/240/270. I have been thinking about doing a header or muffler or both and have some questions. not really looking for more top speed, but maybe some more throttle response and "quickness"

1. who has run a header, tune and stock muffler? does the header make a big difference with the stock muffler?

2. has anyone had a problem with any of the headers? cracking ? heat? fitment?

3. between the muffler or the header which gives the biggest gain?

4.who runs the header and muffler? results over other combos?

5. when does the stock muffler become the limiting factor in performance upgrades?

6. here is the biggest factor---NOISE . here in Vermont loud exhaust is a $330 fine(?) I plan on more rides in Quebec this coming year and am pretty sure they frown on loud exhaust. also I do not want to listen to a loud exhaust all day--too old for that. One of the best things I love about my sled is the quiet. I can ride all day without earplugs and not have ringing ears at the end of the day. I can take a different tone but wont put up with a drone or a just plain obnoxious noise. I know sound can be objective but I really want something that is on the quiet side.
Also, wasn't there a member here who was making exhaust tip slugs to fool wardens who where measuring outlet size?
I know the old adage, there cannot be power without noise, but there has to be a compromise

anyway, anyone who has experience with any of these tune/exhaust combos please comment on the differences between the packages.

I own and run all the hurricane tune except the sm header tunes!!
1- Hands down my favorite set upout of all of them is my 300hp pm header ss tune!
It hit hard and has a violent acceleration!!

2- the header is holding up well the only concern I have is it only has a 1/4" gap between the gas tank and center pipe. Dave has since made modifications to the center pipe to give much more clearance!! Although I never had a issue the hurricane header it still gave me a uneasy feeling when riding so I removed it midway through the season!

3-I run the hurricane stock replica PERFORMANCE trail muffler. I really like the muffler it's fairly quiet and looks 100% stock when riveting the stock muffler heat shield to it

4- the pm header tunes have the fastest throttle response. I found the biggest increase was down low/mid range!!

5-?

6- most guys I know run the stock replica it has a deeper tone , no drone and is fairly quiet..imo
Been stopped a few times at muffler check and had 0 issues upon inspection

20200530_093451.jpg
20200530_093432.jpg

I will agree the trail muffler has a deeper tone and is very slightly louder, but I have passed through several check points and have not had a problem. I will say with confidence the Apex that are in our group are louder than the Sidewinder with the Hurricane trail muffler.

I'm also curious as to the longevity of the header. I'm strongly considering the header for next season.

I have run the trail performance muffler for the last three seasons. It's not quiet.
Also the insulation between the heat shield and the muffler has slid down so its sticking out a couple inches below the muffler body.
My right foot gets so hot I have to pull over and put my boot in the snow to cool it off.

Looking to add the header this summer.
Has anyone tried putting a heat gun to the tank to give more room for header?

Good questions Stain. While I dont have any experience with my recently installed header, I am anxious for next winter to try it. I spoke with 2 guys who ran the header with the same tune as I through a stock muffler and they were both surprised with the results. I saved about $300 as I bought my header new and unused from a guy on ebay so I wont be quite as disappointed if it doesnt do much. Since the tuners made such great strides over the years getting these sleds in the 270hp range with stock muffler..... I decided to go that route even though I know there is some quietish higher flow mufflers. I saw more wardens on the trail this winter than I ever had before, maybe just a fluke but I didnt want to chance it and I was able to get to a hp range I was happy with, without the muffler. I am sure header gains are greater combined with high flow muffler but both Ben and Dave have commented on how surprised they were on what they were able to achieve with header/stock muffler.My TD header fit well and has good clearance away from the tank. The shields required some massaging to get a good fit and I added reflective heat protection to under of tank for good measure. I believe the newer revision of the hurricane header has better clearance to tank than the original so that shouldnt cause you any issues. As far as longevity, I am curious of this as well but I guess we wont know till some guys rack some miles on. If you go the header route be sure to post back next winter with your findings.

I believe member JPS ran a TD header all last winter with Max Spool 16. Maybe he will chime in, but if I recall he was very happy with that setup.

I have run the trail performance muffler for the last three seasons. It's not quiet.
I was hoping this was not the case. I really dont want a loud exhaust. Maybe I run the stock muffler first with the header...

I ran Daves header and stock muffler tune ,285 hp all winter with no issues ,great power everywhere.

I ran Daves header and stock muffler tune ,285 hp all winter with no issues ,great power everywhere.
That tune requires 93 octane. Did you have issue with fuel on that tune? how sensitive is it to 91 octane?
Also, I see the header with added clearance is almost $200 more than the regular one?

Is the trail performance muffler the same as the trail muffler? Does it have the stock muffler body?

Is the trail performance muffler the same as the trail muffler? Does it have the stock muffler body?

The muffler on the right in yamamarc's picture above is the one I am talking about. It's not a modified stock muffler.

So many muffler options.....:dunno:

maybe I am a numb-#*$&@ or am just looking in the wrong spot but is there a Hurricane trail performance muffler and a trail muffler or are they the same?

1nc 2000 you run the trail performance muffler
yamamarc--your buddies run the stock replica these are different mufflers????

Back