• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Leaking Heat Exchanger

yamahey

Extreme
I have a 2003 RX1 with 3500 miles that is stock except for an M10 suspension. As I was preparing it for summer storage I noticed a slight drip of anti freeze on the driveway. Looking further I determined it is a very small leak at the very inside tip of the right heat exchanger, right below the brake disc and chain case. It doesn't seem to leak until it heats up and gets pressure. It is right on the end where it appears to be soldered or welded. Can this be repaired or does it need to be replaced? If repairable, could most dealer shops do it? Could it be repaired in place or would it have to be removed? There are a lot of rivets to drill out to remove it. Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Any pictures of where it's leaking? Was it damaged, poorly welded from the factory or did it crack from fatigue? Are you sure it's not a hose leaking? I'd pressure check the system before pulling the heat exchanger and pin point the leak so there is no doubt where the coolant is coming from.

It's best to pull the heat exchanger so it can be properly drained and cleaned before welding. Most weld shops will fix it for $20- $30. If you do need to pull the exchanger it's a time consuming job that requires removing the track and drilling out approximately 30 rivets. You'll need good replacement rivets (OFT Racing sells multigrip) and I recommend an air powered rivet gun to replace them. If you've never had a chain case apart take a few picture during disassembly and lay your parts out on a clean surface in the order they come apart. http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

It's the exchanger under the right running board, not the one on front of the track. I don't know if I would have to pull the track for that one. I'll have to look at it closer. If so, I think I will pay the dealer to do it. Just don't want to get into pulling the track and tearing everything down. It's definitely on the tip of the exchanger. Wipe it off with the engine hot and it immediately reappears. It is either a defect or a stress related crack. Wasn't damaged and nothing was hit while riding. It is the very inside tip apparently coming right through the weld. I can't actually see the crack, just the coolant appearing.

The running board exchangers are much easier to get at. No need to remove the track. Just drill out the rivets and take it to a good welder. It's not that bad of a job and it'll be a lot cheaper than taking it to a dealer that most likely will have to send it it to a weld shop anyways.

Thanks for the advice. Removed it today with no problems. Now I just need to find someone reputable to weld it. Was a lot easier than I thoughtit might be.

Back