• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Leaking Oil Resevoir

Yes I did all three. I am wondering if the bottom bracket is strong enough. When it is unbolted from the tank it seems pretty flimsy. Some of the turbo guys have custom made tanks that bolt right up. If my tank would crack I may investigate putting one of them on.

Mine cracked as well at bottom right, just under the mounting and runs up to the mounting hole on the backside. I ride a 2006 Vector and had 8000 kms on it. I also will be asking the dealer what he can do foe me as this seems to be not just an isolated incident.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I talked to a guy last weekend and he blew his engine last year because the tank leaked the oil out and the low oil light didn't come on. Yamaha was not going to cover it because it was out of warranty.

Get the dealer to have Yamaha cover it. I might be wrong but I believe there is like a tsb on the leaking tanks regardless of warrantee status.

OK, I'm a little new to this, what the hell is a tsb. I'm not familiar with all these acronyms. Thanks.

These are issues that yamaha is aware of, but will only act if the customer complains about it. You could call it a semi-recall. Not a full blown recall for every sled that may or may not have the problem.

Yamaha came good for $190 of the $325 for the new tank. Not bad, but am wondering when this tank will start leaking as was taken from a 2005 New Old Stock Vector. Not an ideal situation, but kept me going on our northern trip with only a few hours of delay.

thrasher said:
Yamaha came good for $190 of the $325 for the new tank. Not bad, but am wondering when this tank will start leaking as was taken from a 2005 New Old Stock Vector. Not an ideal situation, but kept me going on our northern trip with only a few hours of delay.
They only covered $190? What was their reason for not covering the whole cost? Take it apart and get some rubber grommets in there, would ya.

Don't you have something better to do? Like retune that clutch for the n'th time, you just might get it right one of those times. Cheers!

OK, Now I'm really getting pissed off at Yamaha. See my post from Jan. 1st of this year. That is when I had my 2nd oil tank replaced because it was cracked. Well less then 3 months later and less then 2000 miles later that 3rd tank is cracked and leaking. It screwed up my last ride for the year last weekend. I did not put rubber mounts on that tank because I wanted to ride and not have to work on my sled. Obviously there is some problem with the way the tank is mounted. I have taken several pictures of this last tank so Yamaha can see that there is no other damage to my sled or the tank. I do not race this sled, but ride pretty aggressively but I thought that's what Nytros were meant to do. Does anyone have information on how to contact Yamaha about this issue. My dealer could not find much info. By the way, Yamaha has still not resolved who is paying for the last tank, but the dealer has been good enough not to charge me for it yet. I really wonder what they will do with this 3rd cracked tank???

It seems to me that most of the oil tank failures show up on RS NYTRO or very high mileage Vectors & Ventures. Having said that I did an oil change on my buddies 08 RS Vector LTX this weekend and there is a completly different oil tank on this sled as compared to my 05 Vector ER or my 06 Apex ER. Now having said that I have not had a problem with any leaks but I don't jump my sleds either. The new oil tank looks very similar to the Phazer oil tank and does not use the lower front mount where the crack has been showing up. Maybe any of you guys having repetative problems could talk to your dealer about getting an up date.

I only have 1,600 miles on my MTX. My oil tank started leakng quite some time ago and I just drained the oil, removed the tank and smeared silicon around where it was leaking. It was fine until my last ride when 3/4 of it tore away from the oil tank. I didn't want to deal with breaking another stock tank so I had mine brazed back together(couldn't be welded) and then did 3 seperate layers of JB Weld. I can't get it warrantied now but I don't care as mine is much stronger anyway.

Here's a pic of where it was leaking.

Attachments

• oil leak.jpg
    oil leak.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 181

Back