• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Leaking Oil Resevoir

Go back to page 3 and see how I repaired my tank. I have over 6000 miles on now and no more problems so far.

Bradford said:
pistons said:
I might just take the lower mount out all together. It seems the tank is shifting back and forth causing the cracking. the hoses should stabilize it ok, and just let it dangle from the top grometed bolts. If there would be two mounts on the bottom, it would probable not crack.

I agree with this thinking. The top and bottom mounts bolt to different areas. If there is any relative movement between these two points or different vibrations, the tabs will be stressed.

I put grommets in mine and left the bottom nut loose. 6600 miles and counting

Brad

Bradford said:
I haven't hit 8000 miles yet so the jury is still out on the grommet fix but so far so good
Brad

Just an update... I now have 16K miles on my original oil tank and still no leaks

Brad

Had this happen on my 05 rage at 22000 kms I'm lucky apparently, got a used one from my local wrecking yard and go the old one tig welded as a spare. Definately going to install the rubbers!

Had this happen on my 05 rage at 22000 kms I'm lucky apparently, got a used one from my local wrecking yard and go the old one tig welded as a spare. Definately going to install the rubbers!

Add me to the list, seeping only on '08 apex rtx with 5,500 miles, will look for cracks and fix what I've got from the looks of it and bitch to yamaha about it

We have an oil tank saver kit which utilizes rubber isolators to isolate the oil tank from chassis flex. Info can be found on our website.

I thought I'd revise this thread again to see if cracked oil tanks are still an issue. I added grommets to my mounts when I first heard of the issue. 20K miles on the sled now and still no cracks

What year was the mount system on the tanks changed?

Back