• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Less then 100 miles, LTX SE in shop twice!!

sbot69

Veteran
Have had my LTX SE less then one month and it has been in shop twice, and this time over a week. First was coolant leak at 20 miles-loose hose clamp. This time I was on first trail ride rode about 60 miles. Shut it off and restarted it 3 or 4 different times in that time. stopped and ate, half hour later sled won't start. Jump it, get it on trailer and turn it off, still won't start. Dealer calls yesterday and says stator not charging when sled is warm, ordered new stator. Dealer calls today and says when they took old stator out found metal and grooves in mag, look at starter find gears are missing teeth. Ordered new starter today. Won't even get 100 miles on sled this year :o| Anyone else heard of this with any other sleds? Just venting #$%&*

As I have almost 4000 miles don't feel bad, mine has sat at the shop plenty! For things that they couldn't figure out! So I feel your pain! :o|

They all have there problems , but yes I have herd of this on a few nytro's & vectors .
Lots of snow up here yet so I'm thinking you will get some more ridding time in . ;)!

09nytro said:
They all have there problems , but yes I have herd of this on a few nytro's & vectors .
Lots of snow up here yet so I'm thinking you will get some more ridding time in . ;)!
Hey 09nytro have you heard any word up there about the DNR extending trail permits into the first 2 weeks of April?

Mine sits in the shop almost every night unless it sits in my enclosed trailer.. :moon:

Better tighten your chain too to avoid it coming apart.

The stator not charging, I have read a few electrical issues mostly cat components, but stator...that's a first. Rx1, nytro, apex....had stator issues, but it's a electrical component you just don't know.

I personally feel yamaha should have used its own electrical, top to bottom instead of mismatching it so much. Not saying cats bad or yamaha is better, just putting two together will have unforeseen problems.

I did ask my dealer to check the tensioner on chain. He said he did and itvwas good. Is there any way I can tell if they did actually check it? He didn't sound happy when I asked service manager about it.

sbot69 said:
I did ask my dealer to check the tensioner on chain. He said he did and itvwas good. Is there any way I can tell if they did actually check it? He didn't sound happy when I asked service manager about it.

you can pull the muffler out when you get it back home and check it. not a big deal to do. loosen jam nut on tensioner and spin the adjuster in until finger tight and then back off 1.5 turns. you will see other threads about this adjustment. the manual seems to be wrong with the 1/4 turn back out, as the chain seems to be extremely tight at only 1/4 turn. i tried 1/4 at first, then tried 1 turn and it was still too tight because the chain was howling. ended up at 1.5 turns to get the noise out of the chaincase to go away. 800 miles since i did adjustment at 300 miles on the sled and the chain is still perfect 1.5 turns, hasn't seem to strectch out anymore.

vipernick said:
sbot69 said:

you can pull the muffler out when you get it back home and check it. not a big deal to do. loosen jam nut on tensioner and spin the adjuster in until finger tight and then back off 1.5 turns. you will see other threads about this adjustment. the manual seems to be wrong with the 1/4 turn back out, as the chain seems to be extremely tight at only 1/4 turn. i tried 1/4 at first, then tried 1 turn and it was still too tight because the chain was howling. ended up at 1.5 turns to get the noise out of the chaincase to go away. 800 miles since i did adjustment at 300 miles on the sled and the chain is still perfect 1.5 turns, hasn't seem to strectch out anymore.
Do you ruin a gasket on muffler and need a new one? That is what I was told, that is why I asked them to do it. If not I will check it as soon as I get it back.

I have never had a problem , I always ride till the snow melts , they just close some of the gates to privet land , they don't run the groom the trail anymore but lots of other places to go .......

Total of 7 weeks in the shop out of this season. the first 2 don't count that is how long it took for the turbo install!

4 weeks for the blown motor rebuild. Wile it was there I told them no reverse or thumb warmer. They forgot to check these out. Back in for reverse, replace actuator 1 week.

I have never had a start issue except when blown up but I think that has to do with the gems controller on the turbo being rich compared to N/A mapping.

After all the Nytros, apex's and rx's with turbos I thought this would be bullit proof - NOT SO!

Same deal with mine at 1500 miles starter let go but it never started smooth since new
End cap broke on starter then teeth broke off drive and took out stator and flywheel and after waiting 2 weeks for parts from japan dealer stepped up and took parts out of new sled to get me goin again
That's more than Yamaha was willing to do with all these problems you'd think air freight would be an option

FAMILYMAN said:
Mine sits in the shop almost every night unless it sits in my enclosed trailer.. :moon:

Better tighten your chain too to avoid it coming apart.

The stator not charging, I have read a few electrical issues mostly cat components, but stator...that's a first. Rx1, nytro, apex....had stator issues, but it's a electrical component you just don't know.

I personally feel yamaha should have used its own electrical, top to bottom instead of mismatching it so much. Not saying cats bad or yamaha is better, just putting two together will have unforeseen problems.

Yes because Yamaha never had electrical issues, http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... 422c3e9775

:jump:

Had my Viper in for 1st service 585 miles. I had just checked track tension, approx.1 3/4" free hanging slack and chain tension finger tight and back 1 1/2 Turns. Only wanted the oil change and could have done it myself.
Noticed sled did not want to move very easy. Found track very tight, loosened 6 turns.
Ran sled on stand, loud whine/howl from chain case. Removed exhaust and found chain finger tight PLUS approx. 1 turn, had to use wrench to loosen.
1st set to finger tight and back a 1/4 turn. Locked the park brake to check free play on 2ndary in a few places. Found tight to 1/16" at outside of 2ndary.
2nd reset chain tension to finger tight and back 1 1/2 turns. Found free play at approx. 3/16" + or -. Don't forget to take off park brake.
Ran sled on stand and whine/howl was almost all gone.
I will use 2ndary to check chain tension periodically.

[/quote]
Do you ruin a gasket on muffler and need a new one? That is what I was told, that is why I asked them to do it. If not I will check it as soon as I get it back.[/quote]
If they supposedly just checked it the gasket will come out without wrecking it. i had rode mine about 20 miles since a new gasket it and that one came out just fine also. the gasket is only 4 bucks i think if you happen to break it.

Back