• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

list of chronic Apex problems.....

Alaska-

I think you are right on target. Obvious problems are a required fix for the following year, even if yamaha has to find out about the problems thru the public. But these ALL should be fixed the following year. They should also go back and fix all of the 06 sleds because doing so keeps everyone happy and loyal. It seems that all the manufacturers out there don't do much testing on these sleds like they used to. Too much in a hurry to get the latest and greatest out without thinking it out and lots of testing. So, okay, that's alright, but they better go back and offer fixes for free to those who found out that the lugs blew off, or the warmers didn't do adequate job and boggies were bad. Just figure that in with the cost of doing business. Actually if they did that without question every time it happens really who would care? But sometimes they seem reluctant to do this. After all if they don't do extensive testing before release, then are saving lots of dough on having some guy running around out there all winter long finding the problems. But this wondering thing is a killer. I sure am glad I am not one of those boys with a bent tunnel, cause that is a big ticket fix and it would make me very sick to my stomach to think I have one that got buckled, or worse I have the same sled and so far nothing has happened....is that because it hasn't happened YET, or will it happen later on?? Seems logical that Yamaha would tell the dealers straight out that all these issues have been fixed....seems the only reason not to do that to remove this as an issue is because maybe they will but maybe they won't. Dono!!

Let's go through these issues,drivers melting or getting worn early,this is a rider problem,with the track being 2.25 inches away from the snow on hard packed trails,the clips heat up and transfer the heat to the drivers,this is evident by premature wear on the sliders,if you have plastic on the clips ,then it got too hot,scratchers fixes this. Track hitting the tunnel,that is being dealt with,now.Sloppy steering,this is problem that will only be resolved by taking it back to your dealer and getting it documented so that Yamaha can fix it,and it sounds like Yamaha has fixed the hand warmer issue.

that was a good answer to these issue's!

OK , this sounds like a more thorough explination and answers some questions of mine. I do wonder however why my old mnt. max has had the same drivers forever with no problems and is driven more often than not on hard snow with 2" paddles on a hard track. What about other companies with extroverts, are they having these issue's reguardless of snow condition? I think they could do something to make the drivers harder, maybe kevlar impregnated.... something... it's understandable that the highfax wear out from heat but a driver problem is to me personally not a good thing reguardless of snow condition.......... your thoughs ?

alaska,do you have extroverts on your mm700?The other thing that influences the hifax and extra heat is the weight of the machine,it's almost a hundred pounds heavier than your MM,so that coupled with with dry snow conditions will produce the extra heat to melt hifax and drivers,another thing I see people doing when they have their scratchers down is they drive too fast ,the scratchers can only produce an effective amount of ice chips when you don't over about 50 kph,any faster than that and the ice chips get blown out by the wind created by the spinning track.lincoln

Thrusted Vector answered some of those questions but lets put this in perspective
Machines all have something that is less than perfect, whether it's a toaster or a snowmobile, you always wish something was better
The apex is not going to break the Crank @3000km, one brand you can set your watch by this and it has been the same for 4 years
One brand has been flaking rings and breaking cranks way too often
And the other has weak engine cases and breaks cranks
One sled eats the crank seal when it blow up a belt
Some guys carry spare drive chains cuz they know it's gonna break some day soon
When a sled has major failures repeatedly owners forget all about sloppy steering and other things,
The only outstanding things are the drivers, those dont fail until you dont tension your track and ratchet them, steering bushings are the same part since 03 and never were a problem so forgive Yamaha for using a proven part, they need some warranty claims to get the ball rolling on that one ;)!

I'm glad I started this post.....

I was kind of concerned about opening this can of worms, worrying that some people might get offended, be defensive or take it the wrong way. I'm glad I did though I think it has been very informational to alot of prospective buyers as well as owners and answered alot of questions/rumors reguarding the Apex and some of it's quirks. THX everyone! :Rockon:

Back