• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

looking at an 09 Venture Lite

lil'jimny

Hi, I am new here and looking to get back into sledding, kinda thinking about an 09 VL. My question is this, I am 6'4" and about 280lbs, I am wondering if this is a big enough sled to be comfortable for me. I want to use it for trail riding and groomed trails from time to time. I've been reading about the tunnel icing and reverse issues on here, are there any other things I should be concerned about? I was also wondering roughly how fast these are, not that speed is a big factor for me, just curious. Thanks for any help and advice you guys can give me.

I've had a VL for the past 5 winters and over 16,000 km of virtually trouble free sledding. A few hiccups with the reverse button every now and then but the sled has always taken me back home.
Not sure on if you will be comfortable on one, you're going to have to sit on one to decide that. I am only 5'6" so there's plenty of room to stretch out for me.
This is a very nice groomed trail sled once you have the suspension dialed in. Ergos are great and it's a hoot to drive. Top speed is around 136km/hr - 85mph with loads of torque. It'll take 5 or 10 minutes to warm up the engine before you ride and the throttle takes a while to get use to with the engine braking.
You need a heated garage to defrost the beast after almost every ride, and there are a number is issues from slide wear to sloppy steering and ball joints but they can all be dealt with. Lots of info on the Phazer General Talk Forum to keep you busy. Read the Sticky threads at the top of the forum ... very helpful reading there.

I agree with the above for the most part; I now have 4 years and 12,500km on my 08.

Had some concerns and issues at first but worked through most of them with help from TY, warranty, and aftermarket stuff. I have gotten used to the driving style and like it - you have to ride more aggresively than the typical two-up trail sled to get the most enjoyment. I find it is plenty fast for our trails here in NL, but if you have super trails like I have heard about in Quebec, the power might be an issue. With a lot of work I have solved 90% of the icing issue on mine; but that may not be a concern for you depending on your riding temps. It has a high seating position so it is comfortable to ride and shouldn't be an issue for you - but ride it first if possible. Better skis than the 5" stock ones are pretty well a must even for trail riding. Haven't found slide wear to be a big concern as I am still on the 2nd set.

BTW, welcome to the site, and let us know what you decide. Would love to see some more active VL riders on TY!

I just purchased an 08 venture lite myself. Still waiting on some paperwork to clear before I can pick it up. The only time I've been glad for not much snow, I'd be going nuts waiting. Gonna be a big change from my Bravo LT thats for sure.

I have an '07 Venture Multi-Purpose, which is the same as the Lite with a few exceptions (16" track, wide skis and lower gearing). I'm 6'2" and 300Lbs. and love my sled. It can haul my carcass as well as any dead Doo I find on the trail. Since it is geared lower, top speed isn't as high (~125Km/h). I also had to deal with sloppy steering, fast slide wear and so on but it can be modded and updated to be tight and long lasting. It does need body English and moderation since it does have a higher center of gravity compared to traditional 2up sleds. My wife has also ridden with me, no problems.

rednek318 said:
I just purchased an 08 venture lite myself. Still waiting on some paperwork to clear before I can pick it up. The only time I've been glad for not much snow, I'd be going nuts waiting. Gonna be a big change from my Bravo LT thats for sure.
Great, welcome to the site and all the best with your new VL. I have the 08 as well (see comments above). How many Kms on yours? Did ya get a good deal? Yeah, it is much better to ride on than the Bravo for sure. I find the VL to be a good working sled as well and use it for hauling my firewood out of the woods. 12,500Km now with no engine issues. BTW, where do you live?

Hey mooseman when u gonna post pix of your trunk you put on your sled? I lost your email adress thats why i havent sent you our patches :-o

Back