• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

looking into the wolverine

ishpeming fan

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2019 ZR RR 8000
Do any of you guys have A wolverine? I am A 50 year old man who went sidexside riding in the houghton area with my wife and had A blast. we went to copper harbor, laclabelle and all the usual stops in the area. We rented A Stampede 900 and I was very impressed with the unit for trail riding. Some high speed, some sight seeing speeds, and some tight and deep rutted stuff. IM A Yamaha guy at heart and am looking for feedback from Wolverine owners if it would fit the bill for general trail riding. speed, reliable,plush, comfy, fuel milage,ect. thanks for any info you could give me on your wolverine experiance

I have a 17 SE. The ride is really good only tops out at 52 mph that is the only down side great machine otherwise.

I have an 07 450. It a great all around ATV.. fun, rides and handles great and its actually not to bad for top end for that HP range.

Thanks for your input guys. Now I have to decide between the 700 wolverine or the 900 polaris RZR trail model. they are about the same price. Polaris speed or a bullet proof Yamaha? HMM

well i know the wolverine will probably have less belt issues than the polaris if start working with it around home or the cottage. guy my brother works with is on his 2nd or 3rd belt on his polaris and his old rhino doing the same work was sold with stock belt still on it.

I would go with a yamaha over a polaris anyday. I bought a 2017 wolverine rspec eps this spring. Have about 1000 miles on it right now. No problems at all with it. Only complaint i have with it is the top speed. Ive seen 53mph on it and thats it. Once the warranty is gone im getting a clutch kit, exhaust and programmer which gets you to 60+ mph from what I've heard. My dad is 61 and has rode in both a yxz and my wolverine and likes the wolverine mainly because you sit up higher and it's easier to get in and out off. The wolverine is definitely a nice sxs to use around the house and also trail ride with.

Last edited:
thanks for the input. sounds like a quality unit,before I spend well over 10,000 on a toy I just want to make sure that current owners are having a positive experience with the wolverine.

Got an update on my wolverine, Which I'm not to happy about. Found out labor day weekend my wolverine is going through oil. I checked my oil after I cleaned it and found my oil was barely on the dipstick. I poured a quart of oil in to get it back to the full mark, the engine takes a little over 2 quarts to fill on an oil change. I did the breakin oil change at 250 miles. Oil looked good and was at the full level. After I changed my oil I have checked it every few hundred miles with it still at the full mark. Last time I checked it was around 900miles and it was still to the full mark. Checked it at almost 1,200 miles is when I found it way low. After I filled it up I went for a 40 mile ride to find the oil went down. Took it to the dealer I bought it from and they checked over the engine and actually took it for a 40 mile ride and it didnt used any oil. They said the engine looked great and no signs of it using oil, but also to keep an eye on the oil. My wolverine is always parked in my shop and there are no signs of oil leaking anywhere or signs of it burning oil down the trail. I don't beat the piss out of it or drive it like I stole it. Since getting it back from the dealer I've went on two rides which equaled 150 miles. Checked my dipstick and found its halfway down the hash mark. So i will be getting a hold of the dealer and seeing whats going on. Not so impressed with Yamaha's 708cc motor thats "Bullet Proof"

hmm that is weird. is there excessive oil in the airbox/intake by the crank case vent tube?

hmm that is weird. is there excessive oil in the airbox/intake by the crank case vent tube?

There are no signs of oil being anywhere in the airbox or anywhere else on the sxs. I have my wolverine parked in my shop that is cement floors, no dips anywhere, not even on the skid plate. I've been doing some research on the wolverine forums and there are a few people having issues with wolverines burning oil and even taking motors out from oil consumption. It pisses me off this is a brand new sxs I bought that shouldn't be using any oil. Its not like I have my foot to the floor for miles. My gas pedal is rarely over half throttle, Most of the time I'm going 30-40mph.

you might want to pull the intake boot off at the throttle body and check there for oil. they might put the crankcase vent in somewhere near the throttle plate as if i remeber correctly, the air box is up under the hood on the front.

There are no signs of oil being anywhere in the airbox or anywhere else on the sxs. I have my wolverine parked in my shop that is cement floors, no dips anywhere, not even on the skid plate. I've been doing some research on the wolverine forums and there are a few people having issues with wolverines burning oil and even taking motors out from oil consumption. It pisses me off this is a brand new sxs I bought that shouldn't be using any oil. Its not like I have my foot to the floor for miles. My gas pedal is rarely over half throttle, Most of the time I'm going 30-40mph.

I have a 2016 Grizzly 700 with the same motor. This last winter I noticed that it was low on oil a couple times. By spring, it would fill my shed with blue smoke when the engine was cold. I brought it to the dealer(still under warranty thank god) and waited for two months while Yamaha threw parts at it trying to figure out why it was burning oil. First they changed the valve guides and valve seals. That didn't work. So then they did a whole top end rebuilt with new valves and that did the trick. The dealer mechanic thought one of the valves was bad. Either way, it doesn't burn oil any more.

I like the machine but it hasn't had the reliability that I am used to with Yamaha products.

im glad I asked about the wolverine before pulling the trigger on the purchase. thanks for your honest input on the true real life expereance of ownership on the unit. with only a 6 month warranty from Yamaha it may end up costing a bundle in the long run.

Thats a very generous offer. thanks very much for the offer allyammies ! I will try to contact you sometime in oct. to try and set something up. thanks

Back