• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking to buy an 06-07 apex, and have a few questions

Comatoast

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Nytro XTX
Well I've been looking for a while now and really want to get one for the GF.. I was looking at older ( 03 ) rx1s etc but thought something fuel injected with a better suspension setup would be better for her.. I want a 136, and was wondering what common issues they see. What is maintenance like, and at what mileage intervals do you want to do the maintenance at? I have a 97 sx700 that is bone stock.. Its a good sled but pretty old school technology, which is ok for me, but for the Girlfriend, I want to have a really good trail sled, thats reliable, and fun..

ANY work I have done on the sled will be done at Hauck powersports as they are about an hour away from me and seem to be some of the best in the business for Yamahas.. So with that said, what is the good, the bad, and the ugly of these sleds.. and when did they change things with the apex, in 2009? reliability and comfort and quality are top priority, and even tho Ive been looking at some polaris and doo sleds, I keep coming back to Yamaha.

So Any info I can get on these would be awesome.. Reliability, performance, common issues/concerns, Easy mods that will open the sled up a bit more ( engine AND suspension ) , Price I should be paying, etc etc .. After dropping nearly $700 in gear for her, I would be pretty ticked if she didn't enjoy the hobby, lol.

06 up are great sleds, replace titanium y pipes with stainless when they crack, usually around 5k miles, put copper donuts in while your at it. Get suspension revalved and ride it for many thousands of miles. If you want better handling depends on how much you want to spend but best bang for buck is install snow trackers for zero darting, they work great on these sleds, make stock skis turn and turn easy. Clutching , hard to beat ulmers setup.

Ive got over 12k on my 07 and expect at least another 12k out of it.

I always saw better mileage out of my 05 rx1 but there are enough upgrades on the 06 and up to warrant spending the extra cash, better handling and weak points addressed.

A suggestion for an Attak (the Apex model w/the 136) is to add a rear heat exchanger up inside the tunnel extension. Without it, the sleds are prone to overheating in marginal or ultra hardpack. The rear heat ex became standard equipment, parts should be relatively easy to get.

Thanks guys.. What is a 'good' price on a 06/07 with about 6000 miles, just so I have some sort of a reference to go off of?

and is there a good online source to see the value of a sled, and what you should pay for private party?

I know kbb snowmobiles is out there, but seeing as how there is just trade in value and dealer retail, do I just kind of pick a number in between those two?

I picked up an 06 Apex Gt at the end of last season for $4200, had 1500 miles and had the shock revalved and a Pioneer Performance Clutch kit, came with a sled lift, extra belts and 3 sets of new carbides. I considered this a steal, he was asking $6200 and I have seen similar sleds with higher miles selling for around 5-6k in the Ohio and Michigan area.

RxThunder said:
I picked up an 06 Apex Gt at the end of last season for $4200, had 1500 miles and had the shock revalved and a Pioneer Performance Clutch kit, came with a sled lift, extra belts and 3 sets of new carbides. I considered this a steal, he was asking $6200 and I have seen similar sleds with higher miles selling for around 5-6k in the Ohio and Michigan area.

wow, that was an amazing deal!!! See around here , people wont budge.. There was a nice 07 with 4500 miles all stock, and he wouldn't move off $6500... And for the most part, thats were they average in price :(

I have a 07 Attak with all the upgrades recently done like cooler,steering,front end and skid bushings. New wheels,ypipes and copper donuts and some other stuff. It has 9995 miles for $4200 and no calls at all in months.. It never let me down since I bought it new. Great sled. Y pipes was the biggest money invested for it besides the cooler.
If it snows they'll sell them same here I hope so try to buy now somehow. Most guys seem scared by the high mileage even though the sled is tight. I'm 65 yrs old and never rode hard but they don't care.

CaptCaper said:
I have a 07 Attak with all the upgrades recently done like cooler,steering,front end and skid bushings. New wheels,ypipes and copper donuts and some other stuff. It has 9995 miles for $4200 and no calls at all in months.. It never let me down since I bought it new. Great sled. Y pipes was the biggest money invested for it besides the cooler.
If it snows they'll sell them same here I hope so try to buy now somehow. Most guys seem scared by the high mileage even though the sled is tight. I'm 65 yrs old and never rode hard but they don't care.

Oh man, Only if you werent on the other side of the country... Any pics?? CL ad?

I hear ya Capt.

People hear 11K on my Apex and they are either shocked, or they waive it off as no big deal. The latter being people who know about these machines and how long they last. You'll get your 4200 as soon you get some snow... hell, 4200 is less than what the dealer offered me for trade-in on mine!

I have an Apex GT 06 at my cabin in DULUTH, less than 300 miles on new track Ice Ripper, new bearings etc. Runs great. New donuts and y pipes at 10k now has 11k and I put a new battery in it this Month. Rear shock redone as well. I think it was at 10k as well not sure.

My stable of sleds has grown to more than I need or can haul so 3700 would take it. Licensed through 2015 in MN. Will be in Duluth after Christmas riding.

Let me know with reply if you wish to see or test drive. Looks great no dents, scratches or tears. Two windshields. I like them clean. Always in covered trailer.

Yamadoo Merry Christmass

DigitalFusion said:
I hear ya Capt.

People hear 11K on my Apex and they are either shocked, or they waive it off as no big deal. The latter being people who know about these machines and how long they last. You'll get your 4200 as soon you get some snow... hell, 4200 is less than what the dealer offered me for trade-in on mine!

Did you end up selling yours?

I really want a new sled. And its gonna make it worse this weekend as Yamaha is having their 2014 demo days here... But for the price of one of those I could have 2 reliable 2007ish 4 strokes. One for me and one for the woman.

not yet... sooo many no shows. As of now, Im planning on bringin her into the dealership tomorrow to trade in.

thats is of course unless you are interested?

one area to check that wasnt brought up is the heat exchangers on the 136's tend to develop stress cracking where the top inside idler wheel mounts. i had the same issue on my 07 Attak just a heads up. Hope you find that perfect sled Happy Riding

suprfst said:
06 up are great sleds, replace titanium y pipes with stainless when they crack, usually around 5k miles, put copper donuts in while your at it. Get suspension revalved and ride it for many thousands of miles. If you want better handling depends on how much you want to spend but best bang for buck is install snow trackers for zero darting, they work great on these sleds, make stock skis turn and turn easy. Clutching , hard to beat ulmers setup.

Ive got over 12k on my 07 and expect at least another 12k out of it.

I always saw better mileage out of my 05 rx1 but there are enough upgrades on the 06 and up to warrant spending the extra cash, better handling and weak points addressed.

Bang on, I had semi aggressive snow trackers last year got aggressive this year best thing I ever did. I got Hygear to do some work to my shock this year and it works fantastic but honestly I think the best thing I did was join TY and read, read, read. Setup on the Apex is very important and the more I learn ( especially about shock adjustment) the better this thing rides. I love my Apex going to pile the mileage on now. also what has not been mentioned is a cold weather fuel relay 15$ at dealer no more worried about cold starts. If it is cold cycle fuel pump a few times then start works like a charm. Yamaheaters are great as well. It is well worth the money. Hand warmers are temperamental and with the heater they work fantastic.

replace plastic bushings on front a arms with o lites, i believe ulmer sells them, i believe they updated these on the 09 models and up. otherwise i have 11,000 miles on my 06 apex, had to replace stator and crank sensor at 7,000 miles, updated front arm in rear suspension, it is know to crack and break it was updated on 08 and up models. new track at 7,000 miles along with new jack shaft and drive shaft bearings. its a great sled.

Back