• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking to grease the apex

kingtut

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Apex
So there are many many many types of grease out there, but which one to choose? Also where are the grease fittings for everywhere except the skid, I have a ad bovine expert x skid. Do i need different grease for different areas? I also would like to grease my speedo bearing and drive shaft bearing. Again, which grease do i need to use where?

I use marine grease (wax base) everywhere, It doesn't wash out like dino base grease (oil base) does. Stops the bearings from rusting.

What are the locations for places that will need greasing? All i know how to do is the speedo bearing. I would love to know how to do it all.

There is one on each ski where it attaches to the suspension. There are also several in the rear suspension area between the top and bottom of the track.
Jim
08 Apex

Grease the jackshaft bearing too. To do it remove the driven clutch (keep track of the spacers), and the jackshaft bearing is then exposed. Grease it same as speedo bearing.

I also grease the wheel bearings every 2 years.

jagabom said:
There is one on each ski where it attaches to the suspension. There are also several in the rear suspension area between the top and bottom of the track.
Jim
08 Apex

Is this one a nipple fed one or do i just pack the grease in there as best as i can?

The rear swing arm on mine won't accept great, just comes out around the grease gun fitting. There are 2 fittings, the others fittings on the entire sled are fine.

Had the sled for 3 years, grease 3x/year, never been able to get them to accept grease.

Any tricks??

Take the grease zerts out and get new ones real easy to change just dont over tighten them when putting them back in.

On mine the grease zerks are welded in place. On mine the welds were not complete around the zerks and grease would squirt out of the gap without getting into the suspension. Are you sure that this is not what you are seing on yours?

Blue Dave said:
On mine the grease zerks are welded in place. On mine the welds were not complete around the zerks and grease would squirt out of the gap without getting into the suspension. Are you sure that this is not what you are seing on yours?

Yep, not seeing that. Grease is coming out around the grease nipple where the grease gun head makes contact. I did have the suspension powder coated, should have had the zerks removed at same time :o|

Guy who did the powder coating said he put a pin in the grease zerks before powder coating. It is possible the pin head hole is too small to accept grease, maybe that's my problem??

Make sure its pushed tight and even against zerk.powdercoating gets around zerk head and keeps the grease from going in.or you have debris inside.powdercoat or blast materiel.poke & scrap the zerk.if you have blockage and no luck,you can get a grease gun like i have for heavy machinery.pushes anything thats in its way.

I have a 2007 Apex and a 2006 Attack, and also have never been able to get the rear swing arm to except grease. I have tried everything including heating the fittings. If anyone has solved this problem please let me know.

Make sure your grease gun is adjusted so it kind of snaps onto the zerk and hold it tight against it too. Sometimes that helps. If the zerks have been painted over try to lightly tap the end to free up the ball in the tip so grease can go in.

Back