• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looks like a new display/GPS in the works?

I will say that I go to the U.P every year and there trail markings suck!!!!!!I have had to second guess where I am plenty of times!!!HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO CORRECTLY MARK TRAILS SO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BREAK OUT A MAP ON EVERY TURN!!!not everyone is local!!!!

Uumm not sure about that cannondale. Even if you don't plan your entire trip the night before following the trail signs is still very easy in Ontario. We have stop stations all over the place showing a map of the trails with arrows "you are here"
Not disputing that a GPS is useful because they are but as an old school guy I think technology can sometimes take the fun out of figuring out your route and having to put a little effort into it.
To me that is half of the fun, but as mentioned, that's just me. Technology is moving way too fast for this old guy:bash:
While the clubs in my area do an incredible job, they are frequently forced to reroute trails due to logging. Usually we are riding on paper company land, and we are often miles from the closest gas. Sometimes the clubs are advised of the changes months beforehand, and other times, the changes are last minute, or even mid-season. This year, they compromised and one of our main trails was only open on weekends, with logging during the week. Our trail maps are usually out of date, and the signage is less than perfect. My GPS has saved me a few times from making mistakes that would have left me short on gas, and I am far too old for long winter walks in the woods!

I will say that I go to the U.P every year and there trail markings suck!!!!!!I have had to second guess where I am plenty of times!!!HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO CORRECTLY MARK TRAILS SO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BREAK OUT A MAP ON EVERY TURN!!!not everyone is local!!!!

You're not the only one. Even within the same province of Ontario, you either have great signage, none at all, just plain sucks or outright wrong! We have one here at a 3 way intersection that shows multiple destinations but NO ARROWS! Really?!?

You're not the only one. Even within the same province of Ontario, you either have great signage, none at all, just plain sucks or outright wrong! We have one here at a 3 way intersection that shows multiple destinations but NO ARROWS! Really?!?

i agree with mooseman. ontario signage, in my area, is way worse than mi up signage. i might have to pull out the map to reference where i am compared to where i want to go but only have had 1 signage issue in the up in years i started leading a group down there as it was marked but not as well as some of the other trails.

around here you are lucky for one sign in the corner to indicate a sharp corner in the corner.

scaryest one for me though is the pipeline trail in north bay with the stop sign at the bottom of a hill with the warning sign at the top at the end of a really nice straight stretch. blew it the 1st time i rode there, now i watch like a hawk for ones like it on trails.

In minnesota there really
Bad..with all these local club meetings you would think it would not be as bad..

I have a Garmin 680 and I always have it on. Our signage is fantastic in Manitoba so often there is not always a use for a GPS. However we have thousands of miles of trails and remembering to go from 62 -> 721 until 35W then south on... well you get it, it can be confusing. As Cannondale says, you can take a side trail, to another one then connect back up to something that takes you to where you want to end up because the GPS will route you.

Signage can get confusing if your new to say a certain area, I like the trail signage that when you come to a major intersection there is a huge map painted on a board pointing out that you are here on this trail system, kinda gives you reference and sense of direction.

I just plan a destination. Use it in Offtrail mode so it makes a line as bird flies to destination. Then as I am going I look for trails and cool spots heading in the direction of destination. If one I haven’t been on I take it. Have found many really cool trails this way and lots of neat Waterfalls,Gorges etc. You can really Zoom in and see things maps don’t have.

You make a good point!

I have had signage vandalism in MN lead me to beyond my fuel comfort zone. 148 on my apex..... no other fuel in less than 60 miles..... because someone thought it cool to pull the sign up and throw it in the snow....I stuck it up after finding it-on the 3rd return to the spot. Not funny at 15 below

I have had signage vandalism in MN lead me to beyond my fuel comfort zone. 148 on my apex..... no other fuel in less than 60 miles..... because someone thought it cool to pull the sign up and throw it in the snow....I stuck it up after finding it-on the 3rd return to the spot. Not funny at 15 below
Years ago, before we rode with GPS on our sleds, my friend and I came into Riviere Du Loop on a saddlebag trip well after dark, and our favorite hotel was unexpectedly full. We called from the lobby and found what was probably the last room in the city that was accessible by snowmobile. They gave us the trail number, but it was dark with blowing snow and well below zero. We found the trail and came to what we thought was a dead end three times, and turned around, but we kept coming back to the same spot. On the fourth try, I realized that a snowdrift probably had covered the trail, and I struck out across a field towards the lights in the distance, and found the trail. We rode close to 300 miles that day, and we were cold and tired, and I admit we had a fair amount of anxiety when we couldn't find our way. A GPS would have made all the difference.

Not funny at all

I think the NS1 gauge looks like a deal.....

is that on 201,4,6,7 or somewhere near memories ?

I just saw this new gauge at the New Hampshire grass drags.
In my opinion, this is the easily the best looking gauge ever fitted to a sled.
Easy to read, seems easy to use. Looks great. Has more features than I would use. Now to see how it works in the real world.

Back