• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

LTX and Weight Transfer

SnoNinja

aka "Plan B"
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper LTX-LE
2016 Vector LE For my Bride
2007 Phazer GT, 136" Stretch.
2002 SXR600 (still own)
1997 SX600 (sold)
1997 XT500 (sold)
2013 Can-Am Maverick 1000XRS
2006 Dodge Charger RT - Top Banana Daytona
Posting the video to dispel the wide spread notion that the front of the LTX is stuck to the ground with poor transfer.

In box stock form, I am in 100% agreement that the LTX had horrible transfer. But, with proper shock valving and springs, and a track that will actually hook up, the LTX can have the same or better weight transfer than an XTX.

Off-Trail Set-up:

Track: 2" Backcountry X2
Limiter Straps: full out
Torsions: Softer Cat 2016 torsion on soft setting ( I am 180# with gear and love it)
Center Spring: Dual rate 2016 Cat spring.
Transfer Blocks and Shaft: Removed (do this at your own risk).
Gearing: 22/48 for 96 mph at 8950.
Engine: Stock except Sandale can.
Clutching: Big Venom with Y-P-Y Primary Spring, Dalton 46/40 Helix, Gates C12 Belt.

By Comparison, my 2015 XTX-LE with 2-1/4" powerclaw would wheelie good in these conditions, but it would not stand up beyond the balance point where you could ride the wheelie on flat ground. With this set-up (and even with the transfer blocks removed and rod in) the LTX will lift the front at will on the trails, and surprisingly will stand-up past the balance point and drag the bumper on level ground in a bid of good hero snow.

This set-up is not for everyone, but for my riding style, it sure is fun!

Saw you guys on facebook, very impressive! You sure do have the sled dialed in and looks like all that work is paying off. I saw the other 15 viper there also, you can never have enough sleds! LOL!

Saw you guys on facebook, very impressive! You sure do have the sled dialed in and looks like all that work is paying off. I saw the other 15 viper there also, you can never have enough sleds! LOL!
All I know is you can never have enough Garage. Enough sleds is no longer the problem.....

Now your making me wish I got the LTX and swapped in a 1.6 Ice cobra instead of getting this XTX! Soft rear torsion springs work well, My Phazer with soft MTX springs picks the skis up on command under 40mph, tried stiffer GT springs and could barely get the skis up and immediately went back to MTX springs.

Hey SnoNinja, what do you figure the risk is when removing the transfer bar? Do you think it could interfere with the track or the rear idlers? I'm thinking about it myself. I took them out of my Nytro and loved it. Thanks.

Hey SnoNinja, what do you figure the risk is when removing the transfer bar? Do you think it could interfere with the track or the rear idlers? I'm thinking about it myself. I took them out of my Nytro and loved it. Thanks.

No risk, it will just simply fully collapse the rear arm and keep the suspension from doing what it was designed to do. I've had the bar out of mine from time to time and personally don't like it at all since it won't steer when the skis are never on the ground..but then again I'm a trail riding and not an off trail deep snow guy, which I why I bought the LTX. Back to back runs on mine show that it's faster top speed with the bar in and no difference in acceleration given you have a good form of traction whether it be studs or deeper track.

I've been running with out transfer blocks and the rod removed all season long and love it, transfers really well, picks the ski's up at will and will point the nose in the sky on every bump you put the hammer on, no issues with blowing out the shock or over extending, just can't run any bigger rear idlers than stock.

I agree with Studroes144 and Murdered 137. At your own risk is my way of saying "if you do this and something breaks, don't blame me". This wasn't my idea, others have been doing it for a while now. My biggest concern was the possibility that the suspension could move in such a fashion that the front arm would come off of the shaft at the top. The more I looked at it, I don't think it is possible but I didn't do an analysis of the motions of the suspensions components in all conditions. The main reason I pulled the rod is to uncouple the suspension so the rails stay flat on the snow in off-trail riding circumstances. Having the suspension uncoupled improves the off-trail performance characteristics of the short 137" skid considerably. Also, I did not notice any undesirable results from the rear skid on the trail since mine already carried the skis under power with the rod in.

Rod is staying out of mine.

Can you provide more info on the clutch setup, weight setup in the arms and secondary spring/torsion setting.

I have a 2016 RTX with fox qs3 what I'm not sure about is what springs are in mine ? If they are the soft ones and have dual rate on center ? in other words did you switch to mine or a set softer than mine. I have only 300 miles on it and weigh 180 have the blocks on full soft and it feels stiff have yet to bottom it . Could you post part #s for springs thank you

Torsion springs were Cat Part No. 2704-026 and 2704-027. They come from a 2016 XF7000 Crosstrek. Got The center spring from Cannondale27 so I don't know part number, but I am sure he does.

I have a 2016 RTX with fox qs3 what I'm not sure about is what springs are in mine ? If they are the soft ones and have dual rate on center ? in other words did you switch to mine or a set softer than mine. I have only 300 miles on it and weigh 180 have the blocks on full soft and it feels stiff have yet to bottom it . Could you post part #s for springs thank you
You have the same torsions as SnoNinja unless they made some 16's like the 15's.

just to clarify , I've got the soft ones he's running now ? or the ones he started with? , thank you

Back