• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

M8 suspension finally installed!!

ViperTurboPete

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Viper XTX LE MPI Turbo
2022 Expedition Extreme 850
Well, I finally did it! My M8 suspension is installed! Basically it is a mixed and matched suspension from an M7 also. (M7 zero pro's, springs, front a-arm) the rest is from an 07 M8 (rails, idlers, rear arm, tips, etc).

I tested it out today on the lake which is crystal ice. I topped out at 172km/h which is faster than the original skid on the same conditions.

One thing I would like to report is absolutely ZERO vibration. When I let off the throttle there is a bit of a "slap" sound. My guess is that the track is hitting the top of the tunnel somewhere, but nothing serious. I am running the track loose. I can see it "hang" from the top. I also have the springs at the softest setting and the limiters completely out.

The ride seems pretty smooth, but not chance to try it on bumps since the lake is table top. The overall appearance of the sled looks hard core and it looks like the track grew longer.

A friend of mine and I tackled the job which took a couple of evenings and a day to fabricate aluminum drop down brackets, install the Hartman tunnel extension, install the rear heat exchanger with a little mod thingy, and pop the skid in.

I can't believe the difference in weight with the skid. I almost broke my back lifting the Yamaha skid. Now I am very curious about the single exhaust mod. I will look into it this summer (I always say that and end up working on things when it is -30C).

The difference with the M8 suspension and the M7 is there are no torque links on the M8. They got rid of them for 07. Also, the bolt distance from front to rear is a little longer 31 5/8" vs 31 1/4". For those of you with M7 suspensions, I would look into your rear arms to check if they are bent. You need to press off the rear idlers and remove the springs. The M7 arm is hollow and prone to bending. The M8 arm is redesigned with a solid shaft going right through. Better design in my opinion.

I am taking the sled out to the camp for the weekend to test her out a little more. I can't believe how much the skid actually travels up and down and sags when I sit on it. The Yamaha skid would not move whatsoever even on the softest settings.

It was a fun project when things were working out. I would like to thank:

Kachess: for giving us all the inspiration and knowledge to better our sleds.

Doo_man for selling his skid

AaronBND for offering tech advice

Frosty for his templates

Flamanguy for his rear heat exchanger mod thingy

and everyone else on this site who puts in their two cents!

I will get some pics on the weekend and post them.

Thanks again guys!

Awesome Pete, it's great to hear you finally got it worked out! I was worried! We need pics now! I am looking for a new Cat skid too, I want the lighter skid back now!

Take some pics of the heat exchange mod. - I'm intrested to see how you did it with you hartman tunnel extension.

Glad you like it. How much weight did you save with the a c skid?

A silly Question

What are they guys on the Kitty Cats changing out thier suspensions with?
It seems like a lot of the Yamaha' riders are trying to get the cat skids.
Just curious up here in Alaska?
:exc:

Holy Forever Batman! That was quite the long project Pete! Glad you got it done though. Suck the limiter strap up to the middle hole, loosen the front shock till the spring rattles and tighten it a couple turns and set the rear springs on either middle or hard and you are ready for the deep. Now do the $75 single exhaust mod and the $5 Kachess rider forward and you will be rockin' on a different sled. Have fun!

Aaron

powergrazer some sleds are smashed one's ans a lot of cat guys with big bucks are putting in elkholm skids

You may be able to re-use your MPI brackets. You would need to drill new holes in the tunnel to relocate your brackets. If you don't, then sell the brackets and make new ones to fit the cat skid.

Here you go Pete! Looks great, awesome job!

Attachments

• RXM 002 2.JPG
    RXM 002 2.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 86
  • RXM8 2.JPG
    RXM8 2.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 131
Thanks for posting my pics doo_man!!!

There wasn't a whole lot of clearance between the track and rear heat exchanger when the skid was fully compressed so I dropped it one hole and it's all good now.

tvec....weight savings. My guess would be 30 to 35 lbs? Would that sound accurate? All I know is that it is difficult to carry the 151 skid and easy to carry the cat skid around. They say a 22lb weight saving, but it seems like it is a lot more. Big weight savings in the aluminum brackets versus the stock steel ones too. The Hartman extension is feather light compared to stock.

I can imagine how much easier the package will be to lift at the rear when the muffler is gone. That is another 20lbs?

Jigger, I used to drink MGD, but it is way too expensive. So I went to the next best thing...Welfare MGD! PC Light is actually awesome! Try it sometime.

Back