• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Making turbo kit

tylerearl88

Extreme
Ok, I have a gt25 turbo and the equipment to fabricate the tubing and brackets. I am going to buy the intercooler and I already have a pcIII. My questions are:

What boost will this turbo be making?
approximatly what hp will this make?
Can I download a map or will ulmer have one i can get?
Will I need a blow off valve?
Is There anything i should know about before starting this?
I do not want to shim the head yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:4STroke: :yam:

Depending on what GT25 it is, you are looking at 7-15lbs of "good" boost.
put you in the 190-270 HP range depending on header, intercooler exhaust, etc,etc.
Call Ulmer, he might have something for you on PC3, but for the cost I would go with RB3 or the new PC5 with auto tune, or pick up a pure logic/alltitude Industries box cheap
YES on Blow off valve, helps with surge,intercooler temps etc. Vortec is great hit Jannetty Racing up he has them.

Really though, look around for a used kit and save alot of BS. You will need a fuel tank if you are doing a front mount, Also oil lines, coolant lines, gauges, exhaust. Tons of stuff, and over on Snowest there are a few used complete kits, and there might be a few on here as well.

tylerearl88 said:

... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
tylerearl88,

Yes, there is a ton you should know before you start, and don't take this the wrong way... but way too much for us to regurgitate in replies... I highly urge you to spend a little time in researching here and you'll find that the answers to all your questions, and more in tips and tricks, are within the 200+ pages of this forum.

It's well worth it as you'll save yourself some $$$ and time in the long run.

Good luck with your project. ;)!

tylerearl88 said:
Ok, I have a gt25 turbo and the equipment to fabricate the tubing and brackets. I am going to buy the intercooler and I already have a pcIII.

My questions are:

What boost will this turbo be making?
Up to 15 lbs efficiently, more and it's going to create heat.

approximatly what hp will this make?
Depending on the setup of your system, I would say about 275-280 HP.

Can I download a map or will ulmer have one i can get?
With a custom built system you will most likely have to make your own map from the ground up.

Will I need a blow off valve?
It's MANDATORY - Vortech and Tial makes great BOVs

As much as possible about the sled, the process of manufacturing the parts needed. As said, start reading this forum, it's all in here.

I do not want to shim the head yet.
This will limit the amount of boost you can run on pump gas down to about 7-8 lbs at the most.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It will take some time to get the parts working together, a year or two is to be expected in R&D time before it's running prefectly. You got to have an AFR system and a Boost meter. This is the absolute minimum instrumentation. Many have tried to do what you want to achieve and have failed, it can be done but it ain't going to be easy.

BTW - Welcome to the site.

Would you mind filling in your location in your user profile, it's a site requirement.

rxrider
TY Management

A rear mount will be a lot easer to fab up than a front mount, no header to build (by far...... the hardest and trickiest part to fab up) and no gas tank to buy.

There is a lot to it, much more than meets the eye, and some things like material choices you will not find in the fourms.

I have found that the time spent 85% of the work is researching and tuning it, 4% is building it and 16% is fixing and improving your system the first time around, your first kick at it will be the hardest.

What A/R is on the hot side of the turbo you have?

Well I am pretty sure the turbo that i thought was a t25 is not a t25. Does anyone know what vehicle's come with turbo's that work in this application? This one was off a volvo s80. I have two of them because these cars have twins not compounded so they are the same size. I think they may be t20's. I also have a turbo off of a volvo s70 and access to pretty much any other turbo that would come on a car from the factory. Would a t20 work?(or maybe two t20's). I am still very interested in making my own kit and understand the amount of work involved.

Thanks for the info you guys are giving me and please keep it coming.

tylerearl88

Would you mind filling in your location in your user profile, it's a site requirement.

rxrider
TY Management

Do you have any serial #s or other identification. A few pics would help a lot in determining what turbo you have.

Small turbo #s (0ff 99 s80)
P/n 9471564
Ser 930305023
Mfd 49131-05101

P/n 9471563
ser 980121066
Mfd 49131-05001

bigger turbo (off 98 s70)

Mitsubishi is the mfg and the type is a Td04hl-13t

I will fill in my profile and add pics when I am on a computer and not posting from my phone.

One of the bigggest things i've learned from all my turbo setups is that trying to use used oem turbos is not worth it as you will find out the turbo is not the expensive part of a turbo setup and you will end up with more headaches and less performance. Also another big one is to take what you figure you can build it for $ wise and multiply it by at least 2!

Ok I know that the Garrett t25 comes on Mazda 3 and 6 speeds. If it would be easier to use one of these I can do that. I only want to make a 180-200hp kit(rear mount). I have built pull trucks and other vehicles and understand how costs can skyrocket. I figure even if my estimate of how much this is going to cost multiplied by 4 I would still be less or breaking even with the cost of buying a kit. From what I have seen these kits are 4-5 grand before taxes and shipping. Again I understand the work and costs involved but I still want to go threw with it. So if there is anyone out there who would like to give me some helpfully
information I would really appretiate it.

P.s. For my desired hp level is the gt25 the turbo I should be getting? Or should I be getting another turbo?

a gt 25 should be lots. Doing the rear mount will save a huge amount of the hassle in a custom kit. I'd ceramic coat the pipes and use a smaller a/r exhaust housing to help with spool times. Also make sure to support the turbo well and build some flex in the system to try and make the pipes last.

Is a t25 to big for the hp I want? Is their a better suited turbo? How do I measure a/r? If you could give me some dimensions for a turbo that would be suited to want that would be great (like a/r of the compressor and exhaust housings and wheel sizes).

Thanks for the information.

The biggest t25 I know of is the 60 trim, it is a little on the small side and will max out at just over 200hp, it will make to much intake heat.

ok I have decided I am going to build the kit using a mitsubishi 16t turbo. If anyone has pictures of a rear mount turbo kit from different angles or pictures of a kit being put together it would be really helpful.

thanks

Back