• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mono damping and spring preload adjustments

Thanks. I will get this done! And probably not bother trying to compress it myself. I hope I don’t have to loosen track tension up as I have alignment perfect. But if I do I do.

I'll likely just bring it to my friend (mechanic) and have him use his spring press to expose the c clip. I will report back! Might be a few days. Busy week.

Last edited:

My notes show the 7.0 rate spring to have a wire diameter of .514 which is about 13mm.

When I size my multi rate springs a 7.0 would typically be a finish rate for 250-280lb rider on the 136 skid.

Is this spring way too heavy for me then regardless of how I can adjust it? I weigh 180 soaking wet. Probably 190 with riding gear. Maybe another 20 pounds of stuff I carry on sled with me in cargo bags.

A straight 7.0 will likely ride a bit harsh for you in the smaller bumps. I would most likely spec the 5.0-6.5. This would ride nice and supple on small bumps, but resist harsh bottoming on the big hits.

Did you get the stock spring with the sled? You'd be better off with the stock 5.0 spring than that 7.0.

What I will likely do is first see if I can at least get to the recommended amount of sit in by adjusting the spring I have. If not then I’ll likely send it to HyGear. If I can get the right sit in I’ll likely ride it this season and see what I think and then decide. I keep reading up on the Fox mega. Two friends tell me it was night and day and they love it.

I think I have a good used megafloat if that's the route you decide to go. My father had one in his apex and he liked it.

Thanks. A new one is $499 and one of my friends is selling his sled so pulling the mega float out and selling it and putting the original coil over in.

I think I have a good used megafloat if that's the route you decide to go. My father had one in his apex and he liked it.
I started a conversation with you...let me know what you are thinking for the Fox Mega Float Travis.

Ok, I have the shock out. My spring compressors seem to do the trick, but I'm having a hard time pulling down the end with the ramp where the C clip is. The spring seems to want to compress and pull up from the where the dampening port is. Hmm. I did get the spring to pull down a bit from the proper end, to the point that the adjustment ramp was free floating and moving, but the sleeve I expect is hiding the c clip isn't moving. Need to look for some more pictures to help me. Maybe I'm expecting the wrong things to move!

I'm thinking you need to remove the top spring retaining cup and remove the spring all together . That way everything will be out of the way.. Someone with more knowledge will pipe in soon.

So I decided it was easier to just remove the whole spring. My spring compressors work very well and fit nicely on this KYB shock body. Anyway, I got the spring off and then the collar slid right down. And guess what I found? The C Clip is already in position 1. :(

I think what some of you guys saw was just a machined transition edge on the shock body, but that is NOT a c clip position as far as I can tell. See pics.

springaprt.jpeg springclip.jpeg

So now I have a decision to make I guess. Send the whole thing to HyGear and get a multi rate spring and revalve on this, just buy a BOP multi rate spring and leave the rest as is, or go with a mega float. As it is, this spring is obviously way too heavy for me.

Open to thoughts and opinions.

So I decided it was easier to just remove the whole spring. My spring compressors work very well and fit nicely on this KYB shock body. Anyway, I got the spring off and then the collar slid right down. And guess what I found? The C Clip is already in position 1. :(

I think what some of you guys saw was just a machined transition edge on the shock body, but that is NOT a c clip position as far as I can tell. See pics.

View attachment 131454 View attachment 131455

So now I have a decision to make I guess. Send the whole thing to HyGear and get a multi rate spring and revalve on this, just buy a BOP multi rate spring and leave the rest as is, or go with a mega float. As it is, this spring is obviously way too heavy for me.

Open to thoughts and opinions.

Well at least you know you can dismantle the shock now!
You are this deep now, if it were me, I would send it to get re-valved to your weight and ride expectations by a reputable shock tech, definitely use a lighter spring.
The shock tuner should be able to recommend which clip position to use, but would think position 1 as it is now will be fine, and start in the middle ramps of the adjustment collar and go from there. The sit in test will tell the story of course.

I really think you will be happier overall sticking with the mono shock vs the Mega Float on that sled.

I'm going to try to find someone in NH to talk to, vs shipping it out and waiting a while. I really want to get this thing in the trailer and move on to the other ones.

Back