• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mountain Lite gears

northwoods

Anyone else still waithing for the 19 tooth top gear, or am I the only one? My dealer keeps calling Yamaha about the gear and Yamaha keeps telling them it is back ordered. How rare can these gears be??? :letsnow:

I put on a 20 tooth top gear instead of waiting for the 19 tooth. My dealer had it in stock. I think the mountain lite pulls it just fine. I saw 9-10 mph increase and only lost 200 rpm (sea level-2000ft) ;)!

If you are still waiting for gears try ordering 9 tooth drivers. They will give you the same gearing as a 19 tooth sprocket and improve your aproach angle at the same time. Some of the other models come stock with 9 tooth drivers so you should have no trouble getting the speedo to read right .

Like Yellowknife said why are you guys changing gears? Have you made sure your cluches are shifting out all the way? Mine wasn't coming even close stock I had an inch on both that the belt wasn't even touching. I bet you would be better off leaving the 17 tooth and installing a 45 tooth on the other end and using all of your cluch. I put the MC-X turbo on mine and the stock gearing is enough to out top end a summit 800 and M7 and you ain't going to do that with the stock horsepower.

I remember a few guys saying Yamaha dealers were changing clutching and gearing on their own when the sleds were purchased to be used outside of elevated area's. I have no idea if my sled has stock stuff in it for mountain riding or not...but I over rev and hit the rev limiter whenever I pin it.

I think you should put some rivets in your weights. The stock setup in my Mountain Lite didn't have any rivets and I would also hit the limiter around town which is about 3000 feet above sea level. It would hit the limiter a little less when I went to the mountains. I can't tell you haw much weight to install because I didn't want to mess with mine until I installed the turbo.

Phazed-Coug said:
mtn lites have mountain gearing, people who are changin seem to be at or near sea level
From what I was told , all MTN lites were shipped with clutching and gearing for 10,000 ft elevation. 17 tooth gear for that elev. 19 tooth for sea level to 3000 or something like that. Mine was on the rev limiter ALL THE TIME out of the box. I put on a 20 tooth(closer to 19 than 17) because they had it in stock and I wanted to see if it could pull it. I also put a 13.9 rivet in the tip after the gear because i was still on the rev limiter. Now I am at 12000 rpm on hard pack at 1000ft and 11500 at 2500ft in the pow. I never get above 5500ft in AK so it should work well.
;)!

The stock gearing is good for about 80-85 Mph track speed and a stock phazer can't get anywhere close to that so why go higher? Put a mark on your clutch sheaves with a felt pen going from the center to the outside and take your sled for a ride I bet you will be suprised at how much of the mark is left over. Like I said I had a good inch left which means I was not even getting 1:1 and these sleds have overdrive. My owner's manual states that the sleds are set up from the factory for 0-3000 feet and require adjustment for anythig higher.

Back