• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My experience with the Pilot 6.9s

PigeonLake

Extreme
Country
Canada
I wore out my Bergstrom triple carbides and finished the season with ski Doo carbides. Bergstroms definitely dart less with the ski savers in place. Going back to them next season. Also going back to 1/4 inch shim. Found 3/8 has slightly more steering effort with a bit more pressure on the rear of the skis Just thought I would share my experience

Put some navigators on also .I use 03 rev tunnel protectors cut to fit the ski for shims .

I have 5.7s with no shims. I'm going to add shims next fall and navigators. Hopefully that cures my darting issues.

I have 5.7s with no shims. I'm going to add shims next fall and navigators. Hopefully that cures my darting issues.
Make sure to toe out the skis .1/4" works good .The 6.9s work much better that the 5.7 also .

Make sure to toe out the skis .1/4" works good .The 6.9s work much better that the 5.7 also .
Absolutely. Big difference between 1/8 and 1/4. 6.9s work better because tracks are wider than 5.7s and 5.7 tracks are everywhere. Tuners fall in and out of 5.7 tracks. Part of their unlimited problems. Yamaha could never make a decent ski for their machines.

I like the 6.9s better because they make the sled float much better off trail .I run 6" round bars in and out also .Shapers on the SW are too aggressive The flat top woody's in the center will work also .

Never was a fan of Bergstrom TPs. The issue with those is they wear down and become square, and then will not turn at all due to not being sharp, so they need to be tossed. Just doesn't make sense to me if you want precise steering, and the cost is high.

The 8'' round bar works decent on both pilots(5.7 and 6.9) but this year I really liked the ACE by Woody's. A taller rectangular bar which reminds me alot of a shaper but IMO lasts longer and is cheaper as shapers are overpriced IMO.

AS8-9500 is the part number for 8".

Dan

fullsizeoutput_518.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_506.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_504.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_50c.jpeg

I took Dan's advice with the carbides described above and installed them on the inside and outside of the pilots 6.9 (sold the Tuners). Darting is definitely definitely not a issue w/ these Ace carbides, however for me, steering with them is a problem. I'm not that young anymore, but these carbides become more difficult to control, after hours of trail riding. I feel having these carbides on the inside and outside of the ski's are a mistake (too aggressive?). I wonder if that was Dan's intention. Anyways, I like to change one of the carbide sets to something maybe a little less aggressive? Wonder if this makes sense and maybe recommend a Woody product? Thanks in advance.

Put Aggressive SnowTrackers on the 6.9's. You'll thank me later. They steer easy, don't dart and go where pointed. Also they last a good long time.

I actually run Duece bars on my 6.9's in the middle and stock bars on the outside for low snow conditions and hate them. I save the Trackers for better snow conditions. No matter what you put on the 6.9's are not going to be perfect, but the Aggressive SnowTrackers are oh so close. They will still push in the loose snow.

Thanks for the email. Yes SnowTrackers have been discussed herein. There's an aggressive and a semi-aggressive pair. According to the pdf "Ski Pilot 5,7 et 6,9 - Aggressive /Premium set (complete set)" is Model 192141. left a message will send a USA email

Also drove the same sled with EPS...what a difference, next year. My Polaris touring ATV has 4 wheels (i.e almost equal weight distribution, 4 points), has a 980cc engine and EPS is standard.

How much increased outer width overall with the 6.9 compared to the 5.7. I have the 5.7 installed and thinking of changing to the 6.9 which I have in storage, for some extra float.
Followed RockerDan's shim setup a few years back and turns on rails. The outer carbide edge helps steady most inside ski lift.

How much increased outer width overall with the 6.9 compared to the 5.7. I have the 5.7 installed and thinking of changing to the 6.9 which I have in storage, for some extra float.
Followed RockerDan's shim setup a few years back and turns on rails. The outer carbide edge helps steady most inside ski lift.

Well the 6.9 is about an inch and a quarter wider than the 5.7's. They are going to float more in soft or deeper snow. Unless you are looking for deep snow float don't waste your money. The 5.7 is better on the trail IMO.

The skis I run my Aggressive SnowTrackers on are the 5.7 Doo Race skis, which are a single keel ski like a C&A's but with a shorter keel on them. I much prefer them to either the 5.7 dual keel trail ski or the dual keel 6.9's.

Single keel skis will always do better than a twin keel in the loose or soft snow for pushing. I don't find the Doo skis to be anything special until you get Aggressive SnowTrackers on them.

Back