• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My fx with tunnel closed + +

obr said:
WELL, all I can tell you is: the side panels work really well. No ice on running boards. I will wait until after this season to colse the tunnel. Will follow you guys closely to se if it really has no issues clising it of.
Please let us know if it causes any trouble for you.

Thanks, Ole Bull, Norway

Yes I know that. But I didnt want to have the ice build up inside tunnel as I have seen when driving my fx in tempratures below -10deg celsius. The ice is like glued to the frame and you have to use something hard to knock it off or take it inside a warm place. Really dont miss the weight of that ice either.

I have no concerns about melting down seat or the plastic simply because there is not enough heat to do so. I'v tested it yesterday in different driving condition, also on a long lake run with throttle fully open a loooong time and the plastic wasnt hot at all.

What concerne about engine failure its to early to tell but I cant figure out what possible could happend to it either. I have asked Oskar at yamaha scandinavia about this issue and all he could tell me was that the hole was there to cool the exhaust but he could not tell me why the exhaust needed cooling...

Have read that some here claim that engine output will drop if the pipe isnt cooled down but I didnt notice any drop in performance on mine. It would be nice if anyone could tell me why the power should drop with uncooled exhaust.

If I notice any kind of trouble I will let you all know.

I have a sheet of 18 gauge stainless steel that I want to use to close the hole in my tunnel. But I'm still undecided as to whether I should do it with my stock exhaust. I think I too may wait til after this season to close it off. Please keep us updated!

I took my first 50 mile ride with (Yamaha) tunnel side panels on. They work fine...almost no snow on the running board. Nothing is coming in from the tunnel, but a little is blowing on the very back of the running board from the 4 to 5 inch gap in front on the side reflector. If I covered that whole the running board would remain clean.

All the snow and ice every one is commenting on is normal for any sled. I don't know how anyone can expect the tunnel of any snowmobile to remain free of snow or ice while riding.

My objective was to keep it in the tunnel and not on the back of my legs and running boards. The tunnal side pannels worked.

Yamaha was up here last winter demoing the Phazer and everone asked about the whole in the top of the tunnel and they said it was needed to cool the exhast. If the exhast gets to hot you can loose power...why I don't know I'm not an ennginee and I didn't design the sled. I'll take their word for it. I just wanted the snow off the back of my legs. I do think it sucks that I had to buy the side panels...Yamaha should have included them when they built the machine. They knew the snow was going to be a problem shooting up thru that whole...that's why they designed and sell the side pannels.

I said that from the get go that Yamaha new it was going to be an issue so to make money they charge you to buy them. So I decided to make my own and I think it's better than what they designed.

No power lost and no snow/ice build up on running boards or inside tunnel...

Havent seen any good reason why the engine performance should drop and havent notice this either!

hey mr sniper:
have got my blue mtn. skis now. but the bolts on the original FX steel runners were a bit short, so I removed the washer to have the nut fully on.

DSC00004.jpg

teerex said:
hey mr sniper:
have got my blue mtn. skis now. but the bolts on the original FX steel runners were a bit short, so I removed the washer to have the nut fully on.

Looks good!! ;)!

Did you buy new ski steel runners for the mtn. skis ?
And by the way, why do we both have 90 posts here on this forum ? :tg:

teerex said:
hey mr sniper:

DSC00004.jpg

How do the mtn. skis work compared to the stockers? I considered getting a set but I have a pair of red Powder Pros sitting around so I think I will try those first. Red is definitely not my first choice though.......

teerex said:

I used the runners from the stock skis but I didnt have any trouble with short bolts..

91 now, have to keep up with you LaLaLa

sniperviper said:
teerex said:

I used the runners from the stock skis but I didnt have any trouble with short bolts..

91 now, have to keep up with you LaLaLa

But you did remember to move the 4 steel bushings from the stock ski over to the mtn. ski ?

Back