• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My Love Hate thing w/ the Phazer

jfremder

Veteran
Got the '08 Phazer two years ago. Took a while to get it setup so it would turn. (Thanks TY4S!) With the the limiter strap tightened up, at the end of the first season, I actually started to like this sled. My wife took a tumble on it on the ice the first year after the track locked up from the extreme compression braking. (Is there a way to adjust the clutch to get more freewheel when you let-off?) She won't ride it much now.

Struggled through the fiirst oil and filter change (Thanks again TY!)

Last year after much lusting added a gently used '06 AC ZR900 to the stable. The Phazer spent much of December in the garage, it doesn't much care for light snow conditions anyway. FWIW after the hifax wore to the line at the front wheel, they stopped wearing, still OE @ 1200 mi.

Well after 270 miles (30 GALLONS of fuel and $25 of oil on the ZR) I thought I would give my neck a rest from the ZR. Spent the last two days on the Phazer and I love it again. Fast and fun through the tight technical stuff. (BTW, that 135 miles took just 6 GALLONS of fuel!)

I think it's a keeper.

any clutch kit will help with track free wheeling better . I would recommend ulmer racing kit cost effective great service and easy install with common tools.

ye3a i know how ya feel i came off a prox11 and said wtf did i just do, my neck and arms and wallet appreciate it very much though

I think your paying for the knowledge and the testing that goes into getting it right. I don't have that kind of knowledge but some guys here just get the weights and add themselves .So someone might tell you what they did.

when i went to 136in track the engine braking was barely there...also had an ulmer kit on it...

jfremder said:
kodak said:
any clutch kit will help with track free wheeling better . I would recommend ulmer racing kit cost effective great service and easy install with common tools.

http://www.ulmerracing.com/Phazer.htm looks nice but $120 for three weights and a spring -OUCH-

Anyway to dial it in for better free-wheeling with the stock component adjustments?

That is what I thought when I was looking for a kit. Decided to go for it and got one. I abseloutly LOVE the kit. My phazer now has the perfect amount of engine breaking and pulls much better. Instalation was a breeze. I would buy it again.

I am telling you removing all the shim out of the secondary will do the same for engine braking. It will free the track up a lot but you will have trouble shifting it in to reverse.

jfremder said:
Got the '08 Phazer two years ago. Took a while to get it setup so it would turn. (Thanks TY4S!) With the the limiter strap tightened up, at the end of the first season, I actually started to like this sled. My wife took a tumble on it on the ice the first year after the track locked up from the extreme compression braking. (Is there a way to adjust the clutch to get more freewheel when you let-off?) She won't ride it much now.

Struggled through the fiirst oil and filter change (Thanks again TY!)

Last year after much lusting added a gently used '06 AC ZR900 to the stable. The Phazer spent much of December in the garage, it doesn't much care for light snow conditions anyway. FWIW after the hifax wore to the line at the front wheel, they stopped wearing, still OE @ 1200 mi.

Well after 270 miles (30 GALLONS of fuel and $25 of oil on the ZR) I thought I would give my neck a rest from the ZR. Spent the last two days on the Phazer and I love it again. Fast and fun through the tight technical stuff. (BTW, that 135 miles took just 6 GALLONS of fuel!)

I think it's a keeper.

Shot my race sled only got 4-8 MPG at Grand Forks.

Increasing free-wheel

marpolsdofer said:
I am telling you removing all the shim out of the secondary will do the same for engine braking. It will free the track up a lot but you will have trouble shifting it in to reverse.

I'm new to clutch adjustment. So you're saying to reduce the offset to less than spec will increase free-wheel? What about the sheave free play...should that be adjusted differently too?

My base model sled doesn't have reverse, so that's not an issue.

ulmer kit is the way to go... you will have so much more control of the sled going into a corner...i wouldnt even bother messing around..

I agree.I believe alot of the engine breaking reduction and performance is in the profile of Ulmers wieghts.Not sure if its the same as any OEM wieghts but they work great and probably by keeping revs down to where they belong your motor life will be extended.

Very happy with the decreased back shift of Ulmers clutch kit !

Bought an 08 RTX with no snow to ride then, started reading this forum and then I had your concerns. I moved the ski bushings out, placed shims on the rear of the rubbers, tightened the front strap one position tighter than stock, backed off the front of rear shock spring preload and it already had Woody duals on the stock skis. This sled turns way better than I ever could get my Rage to handle and only lifts a ski when I get too lazy to move my weight and lean ! Altough, I never rode the Phazer until after making these changes all I can say is this one fun and yes, stable sled !

Back